Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2018, 06:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Washer / Drier outlet dead

Today DW tried to do the laundry, but both machines were dead. Checked all the GFI outlets, breakers etc. but could not figure it out. I temporarily used an extension cord so she could finish the laundry.
Does anyone know where I can look?
(2015 DS 4369)
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #2

Is that the only outlet not working? If so, it could have gone bad. May have to change it out.
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Open the breaker panel and check for voltage in/out if the breaker. Look harder for a gfci. Open the receptical and check wiring therev
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did you reset the beakers in your load center feeding the outlets?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:47 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
Today DW tried to do the laundry, but both machines were dead. Checked all the GFI outlets, breakers etc. but could not figure it out. I temporarily used an extension cord so she could finish the laundry.
Does anyone know where I can look?
(2015 DS 4369)
Did you check to see if you still had shore power?

The washer and dryer are powered by Main AC...so have to have shore or generator. A lot of times...you can loose it and not even be aware because everything else keeps purring on the Inverter or 12Vdc.

My washer and dryer are on a tandem breaker. 20A for dryer, 15A on washer. Since you don't have either...it may be a Line coming in thru the 50A breaker in your load center. Trip and reset to see if you regain.

Mine is on L1...so I loose the Front AC and Water Heater element #2 (Oasis) , along with Induction Cooktop. Just as a troubleshooting tool...
Old 01-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you C.Martin. I hooked up the autoformer, and it gave me red light on L1. Switched to 30A plug and all green.
But before that, on 50A, everything, incl. AC1, water heater Oasis and kitchen worked, except the washer drier. Live and learn....
Old 01-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
Thank you C.Martin. I hooked up the autoformer, and it gave me red light on L1. Switched to 30A plug and all green.
But before that, on 50A, everything, incl. AC1, water heater Oasis and kitchen worked, except the washer drier. Live and learn....
Happy you were able to track down the issue.

The last place we camped...our neighbor across the way had an issue with one of the legs coming in on the power pole.

We have an Autoformer...but it's not hardwired. We connect it to the shore power pole as needed. So far, we only needed it once...but it saved us big time. I am super happy to have it.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Happy you were able to track down the issue.

The last place we camped...our neighbor across the way had an issue with one of the legs coming in on the power pole.

We have an Autoformer...but it's not hardwired. We connect it to the shore power pole as needed. So far, we only needed it once...but it saved us big time. I am super happy to have it.
Why not have the Autoformer on all the time?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:10 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post

C’uz we just moved in our RV Resort house with RV garage. It had a 50/30A panel, so I assumed I don’t need autoformer.. Again, “assumption is the mother of all screw ups”
Old 01-02-2019, 06:25 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
If I purchased one today...I probably would hardwire it. The one I have is a stand-alone Autoformer, without surge protection. I hardwired a PI HW50C surge protector. Our Autoformer is an expensive piece of decoration waiting to be exposed to the elements and thieves...when the campground power is above 115v. Usually, our campground powe is up around 121v. But when we see the voltage sag to 115 or less...then we deploy the Autoformer.

Ours is programmed differently. It basically add 2% all the time...and if line voltage in sags below 113v...it switches to a 10% boost. I prefer not to be boosting by 2% all the time if the voltage is already in the acceptable range.

I believe the newer models just do a 10% below 115v.???

Anyway...we had a breakdown in Orlando and had to be towed to Freightliner on a Friday night. No technicians til Monday...but they found a place along the fence with 30A...to spend the weekend. Unfortunately, the voltage was around 111v....sometimes lower. I figured that would be rough on the air conditioning unit to be pulling more amps to make up for the sagging voltage. Autoformer made a world of difference.

We have a Hughes voltmeter plugged into our 1/2 bath...so I reference it when we get to a new location. And double check when things change, like peak A/C times and weekends when the parks are filled.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I have the standalone non surge protector one and bought the internal mount system from the Autoformer people and it's out of sight and mind which is great. It's always in the loop but easy to bypass if needed.

I fried my first one as I had it at the pedestal, it rained overnight which I wasn't expecting and it was 1/3 submerged in a pond at the pedestal. At nearly $600 no one needs that. Autoformer people were great and did a warranty replacement, I just had to pay for shipping. So I paid shipping to/from which wasn't cheap as it's heavy but internal mount is the way to go IMHO. Do it and forget about it.

https://hughesautoformers.com/produc...ll-kit-50-amp/

If you call and order over the phone they'll do free shipping, at least back when I ordered.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote