Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2022, 08:53 AM   #1

Washer, Dryer Install

I have a 2020 KS 3412 and it prepped for a washer and dryer. Just purchased a washer and dryer made by Splendide. These will be installed "stackable", no shelf in between. Talked to Camping World about the install and they said the slide will mostly have to come out. Not want to go down that road, much less CW would not give a cost of the install. Plan on doing the install myself.

There have been post from users on here that said they have did this install.

Need input
I figure I will need to take the passenger seat out. Yes/no

What about the screen door, remove it?

The door going into the bedroom, looks like I can remove the stop strip on the wall that the door goes into and some chair rail in the hall which will give 24 1/2 inch space. Shop drawing show W&D 23 1/2 inches wide or 23 inches deep.

For anyone that has done this, would really like what you did and what not to do.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2022, 09:05 AM   #2
Community Moderator

If installing an outside exhaust vent, be careful where you cut the hole. Sometimes where the factory marks the location is a frame or wall stud.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:04 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Looking at your rv layout, cannot see why a slide need to be removed for installation. Suggest confirming with the factory.

We love our stackable Splendide washer and dryer on out fifth wheel.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:46 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Before I did anything, I would get the units in hand and do your own measuring. Often, drawing sizes include things like hose connections that protrude out that may be temporarily removable.

Second, most front doors only open to a right angle (90 degrees) and the thickness of the door and screen limit your opening size. On most, you can disconnect the arm at the top and swing the passenger front mirror forward and then open the door 180 degrees until it touches the body. This can add up to three inches of opening.

Removing the passenger seat would certainly make life easier. Save the cardboard that the units came in and use them to protect the dash and anything else in the coach.

I've never looked, but some have mentioned they use a ballast of some type in the washing machine to make it more stable in an RV. If that's the case, I would try and temporarily remove it to make hauling the machine around easier.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:54 PM   #5

The only install I did like this was the Splendide vented combo unit in a Winnebago Journey. It was a tight fit, but it went through that unit's front door. I did not need to remove front seats, but had "young and strong" help getting it in the rig. As DSD suggests, measure everything once you get it and then develop your plan.

One thing that REALLY helped me was a temporary platform I built to the same height as the compartment floor the washer was being installed in. It was MUCH easier to set the washer on the platform, do my hookups, then slide it in than it would have been to try to both lift it and insert it considering the very limited working space.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me a bit that Camping World would say a slide would have to be removed. End of comment.

Good luck on your install.
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:52 AM   #6

Everything should be here the end of this coming week. MH is still at the storage lot, will probably pick up next week and bring home. Got pan and stacking kit mounting hardware coming. The only thing I need is the dryer vent. Was at the Newmar dealer here and look at the Washer Dryer in a DS. I really like the vent that was on the outside, will call Newmar and see if they will tell me where/who they source there vents from. Would like the finish product to look like it was done at the factory. The next question for me to answer is painting the vent that is on the outside. I have some touch up paint but would need more to spray the vent. Getting a 1/2 pint of paint would do it, but would have to buy reducer. With automotive paint all the additives can get expensive. They only sell reducer in gallon or quart quantities. From what little automotive painting I have done, the color is mixed 50/50 with reducer. At least I have some clear coat and clear coat reducer in the garage. Will start making calls Monday.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:58 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You should be able to buy the vent from Newmar parts if you can't find one elsewhere. If you can, I would get a chrome or stainless-steel vent. If yours is like mine and has a couple different colors running through it, you can just paint it the main color, I doubt anyone would notice.

Just looked, Camping World sells a dryer vent in plastic and stainless steel.

https://www.campingworld.com/splendi...ted-48677.html
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:01 AM   #8

My '17 LADP came with a stacked washer/dryer. The washer gave me nothing but problems and had to remove multiple times. A few thoughts I have. 1) I built the platform as mentioned before and it made it easier to remove/install. 2) There was a large amount of ballast inside and if I ever had to remove from couch I would've removed the ballast to make it easier. 3) Originally the washer/dryer was stacked on top of each other. I installed a shelf between the two so it would make it easier to work on the washer.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:42 PM   #9

I'll second ewlee's suggestion regarding the shelf. When ours ever needs to come out, I'll install a shelf for the dryer. Splendide also has a Chrome vent assembly that I used on our last coach which eliminated the need to match and paint the outer cover. There are also other models in chrome or stainless that look fine as well,
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:08 PM   #10

Got the dryer vent from Newmar, like the looks of it when I was at the dealer looking at washer dryer installs. The vent takes a square hole in the side of the MH. Need to make sure I will use it, did not think about Stainless. One thing I notice Newmar installs a 1x2 or 3 on the top of the washer dryer if they site on a shelf. I guess to keep them bouncing up and down while driving.

I think the vent is going to mount in the middle of the one color, which is Dark Blue. The cover is black and it would probably blend in since it is small and up high. Just worried how the UV rays will affect it over time.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:22 PM   #11

I installed a new washer in our Ventana. Door was wide enuf, but did remove screen door
Removed passenger seat to get a little room to maneuver.
Used furniture dolly and 2 men to get into door and up stairs
Bathroom door was wide enough
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 03:45 PM   #12

Got washer and dryer sitting in the neighbors garage. Moved the MH from the storage lot to home. Will be starting on the install soon, will document what I do to try to help someone else in the future.

There was a panel in the washer dryer closet. This was a piece of interior wall panel screwed to the wall panel. Removed it and there was a round hole cut in the wall and you can see the exterior wall.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:00 AM   #13

When I look at washer and dryer in a DS at the dealer, there was a clip on the two front feet of the washer. I am thinking this clip hooks around the foot and then it is screwed into the floor thru the pan. Can anyone look at there washer and see if there is a clip and take a picture. I call Newmar Parts and this clip does not show up in the parts book.
Old 03-11-2022, 03:22 PM   #14

Move the washer and dryer in to the MH. I built a rack to move it in the exterior door, I had plywood and 4x4's, had to buy 7- 2x4's and a box of screws. I spent about 3/4 of the day before fabricating everything. The morning of the move, it took about a 1/2 hour to put everything together. Had friend come over to help, we are both 65 years old so there was no man handling involved. Set the washer which is the heaviest on the plywood, which had plastic on one side, pushed it in the MH, then put it on this plastic moving sheet I had which was sitting on a drop cloth. Drug the washer down to the bed room door. Set it on a stand that was the same height as the shelf in the closet where the washer is to installed. Pushed it thru the bed room door, lifted on the bed base and moved it one side. Did the same for the dryer. Once the dryer was on the bed base, I put the stand in front of the closet and move the washer onto it. After I set the pan for the washer, all I need to do is push the washing machine on it. It took us 45 minutes to move the washer and dryer into the bedroom, This included driving to the neighbors house and set the machines in the bed of my truck. I took the passenger seat out of the MH, did nothing to the door.

Tags
install