Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Water Bay Questions

A few questions for you seasoned vets:

1. What is this contraption in my water bay just above the drain valves?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mysterious Item in Water Bay.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	101033

2. I'm assuming this is a built-in pressure regulator?

Name:	Built In Pressure Regulator.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	502.4 KB
ID:	101034

If it is a pressure regulator, I'm assuming it's 40-50psi. I have a max pressure of about 60psi here at my campground (home), and I'd like to have a little more pressure inside the coach. I think our Newmars should be safe at 60psi, shouldn't they?

Name:	Adjustable Pressure Regulator.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	510.1 KB
ID:	101035

Has anyone deleted the built-in regulator? What kind of crimping tool and fitting do I need if I take it out? Or do you just use those adjustable clamps and a hose union?

I just purchased a water softener, and plan on hooking it up this weekend. I plan on installing it after the filter, and there's not enough room in my water bay to store the softener. It appears that I'm going to need to purchase some fittings so the softener can be easily removed for travel and overnight stays. Do any of you have pictures of your softener setup?

Thanks in advance to anyone with helpful comments.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
KIX

The "mysterious" item in your water bay MAY be a heater
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
That's what came to mind first, but I thought my water heater is part of the Oasis hydronic heat unit. I do have an AC water heater option in my control panel (actually AC 1 and AC 1&2) that works really well. In fact, we've never taken it off AC 1 and have plenty of super hot water.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The first picture is your water bay heater off Oasis for winter months has a temp sensor some place also think its set for 45*.
Looks like pressure regulator should be able to remove for yours and pressure tested for 100 psi in plumbing.
There is info for water works in QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Will,

The contraption in photo 1 is your wet bay heater, part of your Oasis system.

Number 2 is not a built in regulator. I was speaking with one of the Newmar techs while I was at the factory for service last month and he told me what it is and I've gone blank, just can't remember. But, it's not a regulator.

How are you enjoying the new Ventana?
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Photo 2 is a check valve.
Attached Images

SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:31 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have my valtera set to 60psi as well, and never had a problem.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4347, Active Air
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:25 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Excellent, thanks for the info. I'm glad to know that's not a pressure regulator.

The new Ventana is doing great. Had a hydraulic leak on one of the front leveling jacks the day before we set out for San Diego. Got it replaced on the last day of our trip - after hours on the phone with customer service and the mobile repair tech. Handling is fantastic. I didn't hit the warning track one time - even with all of the West TX and desert winds. In my last gas RV, I was hitting the warning track all the time, and my wife hated it. I'm going to do a write up in the 2015 Deliveries thread soon detailing my PDI and cross country trip.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #9

Hi Wild Willy, I look forward to your write up on the 2015 thread. We take factory delivery on August 10, so I will be adding my thoughts as well to that thread.

Hope that you enjoyed the San Diego area. I live just north of there. I trust that the town showed you a good time.

Very glad that you leaky jack issue was resolved.

Jerry

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (almost finished..we saw pics !!), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #10

Wild Willy, Good info on your first two questions. On the water softener, why not just add a reverse osmosis system. Works very well and needs very little service. Should install in the water bay, with no extra hook ups beyond the normal water hose, unless you add an extra external filter.

Using RO water from the fresh water tank will minimize drips from faucets etc. If you spend much time in the SW, AZ and NM, the RO will be invaluable.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I have my valtera set to 60psi as well, and never had a problem........

X2

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:53 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
Wild Willy, Good info on your first two questions. On the water softener, why not just add a reverse osmosis system. Works very well and needs very little service. Should install in the water bay, with no extra hook ups beyond the normal water hose, unless you add an extra external filter.

Using RO water from the fresh water tank will minimize drips from faucets etc. If you spend much time in the SW, AZ and NM, the RO will be invaluable.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
Thanks for the advice Al. I will definitely look in to that. I gave up and just hooked my softener up the easy way - before the filter. It's too big to fit inside the water bay, so the RO system would be much more convenient. I'll look for some threads on how and where to install it. If you have any pics or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #13

The guys are correct- the first picture is a Oasis heat exchanger to heat the wet bay in cold weather. The second picture is a check valve & the 3rd picture appears to be a backflow preventer & pressure gauge or regulator of some sort. That's way to many restrictive orifices in your water supply line. Many of these devices will only have a 3/8" diameter opening internally & these restrict the water flow rate (GPM) at any given pressure. I just carry a simple 6" piece of garden hose with a hose bib connection on one end & a pressure gauge on the other end. When I pull into a site, I put it on the water supply, open it & read the pressure. If we're between 55- 85 psi we're good to go for a supply hose hook up. Newmar tests their water system to 100 psi. so anything up to 90-95 psi is acceptable. I personally have never found a campground in my 45 years of camping with >85 psi. They are notorious for under-sizing their trunk lines and very seldom install a complete loop to equalize & maximize pressure. If you have< 55 psi I have found it best to fill the fresh water tank & run the water pump, thereby circumventing the low pressure/low GPM campground supply. Your last question - the hose clamps used by Newmar are PEX crimp type- these can be acquired at most DIY big box stores or some RV outlets in various sizes. They are fairly inexpensive, but the crimping tool will run you about $45-60. DO NOT use worm gear type hose clamps as these can easily loosen from vibration going down the road. HAPPY TRAILS !
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Photo 2 is a check valve.

This is correct. It's a "Sharkbite" type check valve. It prevents water from the coach back flowing down the shore hose when running the on board pump.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water