Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #1

Mentioned in an earlier post that I just returned from a week of camping in RI.
After a downpour there, I noticed that the inside wood backing behind my 2 rear bottom starboard flush compartment hatch doors was wet. I propped them open to allow the insides to dry and figured I look deeper into the problem when I arrived home.
Back at home, I propped the doors open for a couple of dry days. Yesterday I went out to take a closer look. The wood backing above the below the hatch cut-out crumbled in my hand. I removed the doors and also the door for the hatch located directly above the lower rear compartment. The compartment above the bottom hatch utilizes the rigs main decking as it's floor. The 5/8 plywood decking under the vinyl flooring was rotted for about 10" inward from the opening. This decking is under the bunkbed assembly so I will be able to get at it after taking apart the lower bunk and drawer assembly.
I have yet to determine the source of the water infiltration. I did experience some minor interior wall rippling some years ago above where these compartments are located. The camper was only a couple of years old then. I Dicor'ed the roof joints above this particular corner and thought I solved the problem since it appeared not to have worsened.
As it stands now, I'm not sure if I still have a roof joint failure or hatch door failure(s), or both. I do suspect that the hinges allow water to infiltrate if the roof gutter spout does not direct the water away from the sidewall correctly.
I do know that I have a lot of work to do. I have a bevy of woodworking tools and I epitomize the "do-it-yourselfer".
Right now it is pouring outside and the hatch openings are taped up with plastic. I will post some photos on a better day.

Black Lab (Tommy)
Man in Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #2

Mentioned in an earlier post that I just returned from a week of camping in RI.
After a downpour there, I noticed that the inside wood backing behind my 2 rear bottom starboard flush compartment hatch doors was wet. I propped them open to allow the insides to dry and figured I look deeper into the problem when I arrived home.
Back at home, I propped the doors open for a couple of dry days. Yesterday I went out to take a closer look. The wood backing above the below the hatch cut-out crumbled in my hand. I removed the doors and also the door for the hatch located directly above the lower rear compartment. The compartment above the bottom hatch utilizes the rigs main decking as it's floor. The 5/8 plywood decking under the vinyl flooring was rotted for about 10" inward from the opening. This decking is under the bunkbed assembly so I will be able to get at it after taking apart the lower bunk and drawer assembly.
I have yet to determine the source of the water infiltration. I did experience some minor interior wall rippling some years ago above where these compartments are located. The camper was only a couple of years old then. I Dicor'ed the roof joints above this particular corner and thought I solved the problem since it appeared not to have worsened.
As it stands now, I'm not sure if I still have a roof joint failure or hatch door failure(s), or both. I do suspect that the hinges allow water to infiltrate if the roof gutter spout does not direct the water away from the sidewall correctly.
I do know that I have a lot of work to do. I have a bevy of woodworking tools and I epitomize the "do-it-yourselfer".
Right now it is pouring outside and the hatch openings are taped up with plastic. I will post some photos on a better day.

Black Lab (Tommy)
Old 08-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #3

After the rain stops, I would get out the hose and work my way from bottom-to-top. Start at the lowest possible point, above the water infiltration, run the hose on it for a while; check for damage; and move up the side of the RV. If you can't pinpoint it, start over, but with dry tissue inside, so you can "see" any water drainage.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Late offering check your floor seam strip and place some caulking along top of seam also do the same for seams on top of your door openings.
The doors can be replaced with pressure treated plywood within the door frame you may be able to remove the bottom door frame rail to slide the plywood into frame behind fiberglass. Good Luck
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #5

Update.............. the 5'ver is toast. Had water infiltration from 2 different roof corners. Substantial damage. Total loss but INSURED. No more Newmar's for us.

Black Lab (Tommy)
Old 09-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #6

I'm back in the game! After some negotiating with the insurance folks over the total loss assessment of the coach, we settled. I ended up retaining possession of the coach for the salvage value which was a song. After I seal up the roof/sidewall/endcap seams, the rig should be useable. I will have to replace an interior panel that was pulled out for damage inspection. Also a small portion of the plywood deck that is easily accessible, and a couple of exterior hatch door wood frames.
Prior to contacting our insurance people, I had already purchased a few tubes of Dicor, some butyl tape, and a roll of Eternabond. Looks like I will use these supplies after all.
I will invest in a quality cover. Any ideas in that respect? Thanks.

Black Lab (Tommy)
Old 09-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Try here,here and here for some ideas.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote