Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #1

Water dripping out the light In bedroom

2003 dutchstar. Is there anything way to dry the ceiling IN the rafter area.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I would remove any fixtures or speakers and get some air flow with fans.

Did you find the source of the water?
Old 07-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Where are you located? Humid area? I had water dripping on the bed from the light fixture. I took the light free from the ceiling and dried the small amount of water that I could find in the ceiling. I then took the A/C vent free and discovered that the inside was dry.
I came to the conclusion that the water was condensation. It was summer time and I was asking for cold air. With selecting a bit warmer air and by opening one of the overhead vents, the problem never happened again.

It is hard to believe that so much water could be from condensation, but apparently that is what it is. With the shower, breathing, and cooking, there is a lot of moisture in the small confines of a MH.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbiker45 View Post
Where are you located? Humid area? I had water dripping on the bed from the light fixture. I took the light free from the ceiling and dried the small amount of water that I could find in the ceiling. I then took the A/C vent free and discovered that the inside was dry.
I came to the conclusion that the water was condensation. It was summer time and I was asking for cold air. With selecting a bit warmer air and by opening one of the overhead vents, the problem never happened again.

It is hard to believe that so much water could be from condensation, but apparently that is what it is. With the shower, breathing, and cooking, there is a lot of moisture in the small confines of a MH.
There should be a drain somewhere around the AC unit. I don't think it should ever come into the roof with the AC on.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJOL View Post
There should be a drain somewhere around the AC unit. I don't think it should ever come into the roof with the AC on.
I agree and mine was not from the outside A/C unit. It was just condensation that accumulated in the ceiling because of cold ducting and warmer moist air in the cabin. The same process that takes place with a cold drink while outside in warm moist air. Condensation.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #6

Pull the lights down, leaving the holes open in the ceiling.
Pull out the ceiling trim from a roof fan, now the fan is open to the attic space. Four screws.
Cut a piece of cardboard a bit larger than the fan opening.

Turn the fan on high and block the ceiling hole with the cardboard. Now the fan will pull interior dry air into the attic via the holes where the lights are removed, and exhaust the attic air topside. Leave a window open to allow fresh air in to replace what's exhausted.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Pull out the ceiling trim from a roof fan, now the fan is open to the attic space. Four screws.

Turn the fan on high and block the ceiling hole with the cardboard. Now the fan will pull interior dry air into the attic via the holes where the lights are removed, and exhaust the attic air topside. Leave a window open to allow fresh air in to replace what's exhausted.
Clever. I'll have to remember this one.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I would remove any fixtures or speakers and get some air flow with fans.

Did you find the source of the water?
No. but probably from ac. We were on our first night in the new to us rv. When we got to the location water was coming out the light. We have had the rv for a month and has never shown any leakage. we have had a lot of rain.

Then early this morning I got a call that a friend was having emergency surgery. SO we packed up and came home. Just now getting home. I ave bought a high volume fan and going to get a dehumidifier going as well.I will open up everything in the bedroom.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:42 PM   #9

Quote:

I am in coastal NC. Lots of rain lately. I have taken the light down. and well take the ceiling fan down as well. I have check the ac ducts and they are dry.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like you have a leak somewhere that may need addressed.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:04 PM   #11

Quote:
I agree and mine was not from the outside A/C unit. It was just condensation that accumulated in the ceiling because of cold ducting and warmer moist air in the cabin. The same process that takes place with a cold drink while outside in warm moist air. Condensation.
i dont think it was condensation because I have not used the ac for about 2 weeks or so. It may be, I have seen condensation pile up quickly
Old 07-30-2018, 05:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post

I am not real sure of what you are talking about. I have ducted ac. I dont know much though.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Sounds like you have a leak somewhere that may need addressed.
I think you are right. DO you have any idea how to dry the attic?
Old 07-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Water dripping out the light In bedroom

Finance had a good idea. Pull the trim from one of your vents in ceiling assuming you have powered vents. Pull a light down and leave opening to “attic”. Now seal up fan at the ceiling and turn it on.
This will pull air in from light opening through the attic and vent out of your roof vent/fan.

Getting the leak fixed should be a high priority. Water will destroy and RV faster than anything.

Tags
light, water