Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2020, 03:58 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Cool Water droplets 'flashing' in rear camera at night

Hi All,

Continuing to absorb all the useful info here from those of you who are much more experienced. In the meantime, I have a specific need:

We live hot, humid FL and I like to drive at night when there is less traffic. When its raining or we have the rear A/C running, water will drip past the rear camera. It then reflects the IR night lights on the camera. When this happens, I get a flash on the screen which is very distracting while driving. My only solution so far is to turn down the brightness to a point where the camera is essentially turned off.

In another thread, some of you are using the Sunguard filter . Do you know if this will help my issue or have others found a better solution?

Thanks!
Cscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like you need to install a shield over the camera.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:33 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
RainX.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:03 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It may just be as easy as running a bead of caulk for the water to run off the side instead of over the camera.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:17 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the ideas! Maybe I can take some plastic and caulk in some sort of V above the camera to divert the water far enough so that it doesn't get reflected back from the IR lights.
Cscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:11 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - You can turn the camera off of the night setting and I think that will end your issue. Depends on what you have for a camera but most have a setting for night/day/auto.

Tom
Old 08-14-2020, 07:43 AM   #7

We traveled about 5 hrs two days ago with AC running and temperatures over 100 and I noticed the same thing except that it was daytime. Didn’t last long each time but it can be a little distracting at first. We just need more miles under our belts to see if this is an issue or not. Normally we avoid the heat when traveling, but visiting family in Texas. 104 today.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Taking two ideas from above, make a small upturned shield, maybe out of plastic or thin aluminum and run a bead of caulk to affix it to the camera itself. With a slight upturn it would allow the water to run off to the sides or get airborne while driving. Maybe a small piece of corner stock aluminum from Home Depot would do the trick.
Attached Images

Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, water