Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2017, 06:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH View Post
Had a similar issue. Took our coach to the factory. What they discovered is that the drains under the FWS (there is a channel there) were draining into the cross members and spilling out into the “belly” and draining at any frame cross member. We had water dripping out the frame at any low point. The underbelly would pool the water for days until we were on a steep enough incline/decline to dump the water.

Our tech put pvc pipe attached to the drain holes to the bottom of the coach. Seems to have corrected that problem.

We had a leak into the peg board bay on our ventana we though was the same issue. Turned out the water was coming from the wheel well and a poorly sealed door. Both issues were fixed at the factory.

Now if we can fix the mystery leak up front we’re finally sealed up

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
Very interesting about leaking from FWS drain, I did not know it has a drain. My under belly drains exactly as yours did when on incline. Stop for a few minutes on incline and it will drain onto roadway and run completely across or down road. Last year Tech told me when he opened the under belly water gushed out.

Thanks for informing me of your past issue.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2017, 08:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Had a similar issue. Took our coach to the factory. What they discovered is that the drains under the FWS (there is a channel there) were draining into the cross members and spilling out into the “belly” and draining at any frame cross member. We had water dripping out the frame at any low point. The underbelly would pool the water for days until we were on a steep enough incline/decline to dump the water.

Our tech put pvc pipe attached to the drain holes to the bottom of the coach. Seems to have corrected that problem.

We had a leak into the peg board bay on our ventana we though was the same issue. Turned out the water was coming from the wheel well and a poorly sealed door. Both issues were fixed at the factory.

Now if we can fix the mystery leak up front we’re finally sealed up

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
Can you explain where drains under the FWS are? I have water dripping from a cross member under both front fenders and a call to Newmar got the response that it couldn't be happening since no one had ever heard of it happening.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #17

I had this issue after driving in heavy rain this summer. Dealer drilled holes somewhere in underbelly to let the water drain.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:09 PM   #18
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Can you explain where drains under the FWS are? I have water dripping from a cross member under both front fenders and a call to Newmar got the response that it couldn't be happening since no one had ever heard of it happening.
The tech at Newmar showed the drains to me. With the slide extended, if you run your hands in the channel under the slide, you will find two holes about 1/3 and then 2/3 way from front to back of channel. Tech said engineering told him the water comes out of these holes and “harmlessly” follows the outside structural member to the ground. Of course unless it doesn’t seep out the small holes provided and accumulates in the underbelly. To fix the tech glued pvc pipe to the drain holes and terminated the pipe about 1/2 inch below the underbelly pan. Had to cut holes in the underbelly for the pvc pipe the go through. Seems to have fixed the problem. Of course this is an other “never heard of it before” issue the factory has fixed on a couple coaches.

Now we have another mystery leak. We get a few drops of water the drip from an unknown source onto the front windshield only after I wash the roof or run the heat pump. And for those of you thinking drip tube, the AC drips out fine with no water dripping inside. Going to transwest to have them solve.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725, now residing in the free state of South Dakota.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:30 PM   #19

Quote:
The tech at Newmar showed the drains to me. With the slide extended, if you run your hands in the channel under the slide, you will find two holes about 1/3 and then 2/3 way from front to back of channel. Tech said engineering told him the water comes out of these holes and “harmlessly” follows the outside structural member to the ground. Of course unless it doesn’t seep out the small holes provided and accumulates in the underbelly. To fix the tech glued pvc pipe to the drain holes and terminated the pipe about 1/2 inch below the underbelly pan. Had to cut holes in the underbelly for the pvc pipe the go through. Seems to have fixed the problem. Of course this is an other “never heard of it before” issue the factory has fixed on a couple coaches.

Now we have another mystery leak. We get a few drops of water the drip from an unknown source onto the front windshield only after I wash the roof or run the heat pump. And for those of you thinking drip tube, the AC drips out fine with no water dripping inside. Going to transwest to have them solve.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725, now residing in the free state of South Dakota.
JMH - Mark, thanks for giving us more detail of this issue. I found the holes you identified and would have never thought to look in that area. On mine the tray is stained from water so I know water has drained from the holes.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had water in my pegboard bay all of the time. I rerouted the overflow to eliminate syphoning and because my hose that goes through the floor and into the duck bill drain was completely loose.

I tested it by running with a full tank and still had the problem. So, I raised the air admittance valve 15" and tested it again.

I still still had water in the pegboard bay. Just when I thought the freshwater tank was leaking I had some unrelated issues with the fridge not lighting on LP.

While diagnosing the fridge I noticed that the pan under the fridge components was 1/2" deep with condensate water. I dried it out and re-routed the defrost lines outside the coach and the peg board bay dried out but in all of my brilliance I didn't put the two things together...right away.

Once I put two and two together I looked at the pan under the fridge components again and found there was a crack (maybe 3/16" wide in the pan. I caulked it up but the water was coming from condensate water was running through that crack and into the pegboard bay onto the floor.

The real fix was re-routing the defrost drain lines. But hey, my repairs look snazzy
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #21

tagging this thread...i have some water leaking out my underbelly.....

i am thinking the FWS drains could be the culprit....

also water in my pegboard bay....

that is for certain rain entry....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #22

Dropped the coach off at Newmar for repair. It will be 2-3 weeks before I return to pick up. I will post what repairs they did.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #23
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Good luck osok. Let us know what they find.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Dropped the coach off at Newmar for repair. It will be 2-3 weeks before I return to pick up. I will post what repairs they did.
osok, any results yet on you under belly leak from Newmar? I'm still trying to locate where the water that drips from under both front fenders after a rain. I never drive in rains so it only happens while parked. Newmar says it can't be happening and my dealer says they have no idea what is happening but since it drains from the cross member it "probably" isn't hurting anything. But I feel any water where it doesn't belong is BAD.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:40 PM   #25

Curious, is this a issue with most Newmars?Should wheel liners be asked to be installed? Concerned, would like to address before they start production on my Baystar. Thanks so much!
micbob4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:45 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a similar problem with my 2017 Bay Star. Water was getting in when the passenger slide was out in heavy rain. My dealer put his GoPro camera in the bay to see what was going on. In my case Newmar had omitted the drain that carries water out from the channel under the slide. My storage bay now stays dry during all but the heaviest rain storms. I don’t think my garden hose puts out enough water to find the leak at this point - it will take a fire hose.

I had the Newmar techs look at the slide when we were in Sedalia and they had a few ideas for my dealer to review now that he has the coach back.

I don’t know if this is a Newmar-specific problem.
This is a Newmar thread, so you are seeing Newmar problems.

This thread also highlights different models - with different causes for the leaks.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:38 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Hi micbob4,
Yes, wheel liners should be installed. However, wheel liners stop the force of water coming from the wheels. The other part of the solution is to ensure all cracks, joints and gaps are thoroughly cleaned and sealed before the wheel liners are installed. There are the two pieces of this solution. They work together. I do not think one part of the solution will last very long without the other part.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #28

Picked up the coach and the work they performed was remove all underbelly panels, wet fiberglass insulation, grind rust from all metal. Upon reinstall they painted all metal, installed bead foam insulation and sealed all panels. Placed an L bracket across front of underbelly and the rear and sealed it.

Said they did not believe any leakage was from the FWS drains, so did no work on those. However they were not sure where the leak was from and thought from areas were they installed L brackets.

At this time I can not say leak has been sealed, will need to drive in rain to find out. I will be more aggressive watching for any water draining and probably will drill a small hole in a panel to be totally sure. Guess I will need to pull it out of garage every time it rains and go for a drive.

Tags
water