Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2019, 12:32 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I'm doing almost the same thing now. Not turning off city water, but letting the water pump supplement the pressure/flow, since the GPM though my single .5 carbon block isn't enough for my taste. Every day or so (depending mostly on laundry-dishwasher), I hit top up button and refill fresh tank.
Careful of this. My Aquajet ARV-55 has completely pumped out my water tank onto the ground and I think into a park's water system. Bad backflow valve. Also while we were away once, campground water was turned off because of a water main break. Came back to a constantly running pump. Aquajets will eventually do a thermal shutdown, but I now turn off external water when the pump is on.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 05:39 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Careful of this. My Aquajet ARV-55 has completely pumped out my water tank onto the ground and I think into a park's water system. Bad backflow valve. Also while we were away once, campground water was turned off because of a water main break. Came back to a constantly running pump. Aquajets will eventually do a thermal shutdown, but I now turn off external water when the pump is on.
I don't see this problem/chance being any worse with supplementing the city water flow with the water pump vs. shutting off the city water and using only the water pump. What am I missing?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandDescape View Post
I am using a Pura 2 canister system with UV in the right canister and a Camco big blue filter at the spigot with a pressure regulator on the coach side before the hose.

My daughter complained about water taste all the time in the Canyon Star with just the single housing. No complaints with this setup in the Ventana.
I forgot about how little room there is in my wet bay. I went out and measured tonight, and other than this Pura system, and "maybe" the water fixer system, with part of the UV running over the top hose real, most of the decent systems just won't fit in the Ventana wet bay.

For those with larger wet bays or willing to put filters outside or in other compartments, rvwaterfilter.com has what they call the south of the border filter, which is based on Doulton filters and they said they are getting 5+ GPM even with low water pressure, and it filters down to .2 microns.

It's as expensive as a UV system, but the filters last a long time (several years for most people) and have a cleaning option.

http://rvwaterfilterstore.com/system_sof_border.htm

It's not an option for me, as not only can I not handle the width, but even if I got creative there, you need almost 8" of depth, which the ventana doesn't have between the white backsplash mounting point to the inside of the door.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I forgot about how little room there is in my wet bay. I went out and measured tonight, and other than this Pura system, and "maybe" the water fixer system, with part of the UV running over the top hose real, most of the decent systems just won't fit in the Ventana wet bay.

For those with larger wet bays or willing to put filters outside or in other compartments, rvwaterfilter.com has what they call the south of the border filter, which is based on Doulton filters and they said they are getting 5+ GPM even with low water pressure, and it filters down to .2 microns.

It's as expensive as a UV system, but the filters last a long time (several years for most people) and have a cleaning option.

http://rvwaterfilterstore.com/system_sof_border.htm

It's not an option for me, as not only can I not handle the width, but even if I got creative there, you need almost 8" of depth, which the ventana doesn't have between the white backsplash mounting point to the inside of the door.
ooooooooooh. There went my pegboard bay...maybe...
Old 07-23-2019, 03:06 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post
ooooooooooh. There went my pegboard bay...maybe...
Unfortunately, the peg board side isn't much deeper. After doing my RO project I found that the stock peg board is about the same depth from the basement door as the wet bay panel. Certainly there could be creative ways to move the peg board back a bit. Off the top of my head I think you could get about 2" MAYBE 3" more without contacting the tanks. There would need to be some concessions to a major wire bundle that is over or near the top of the black tank. You would also have to be careful in planning how you would attach things to a relocated panel. You don't want any screws going through both the panel and the sides of the tanks.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #62

GULP!

I purchased my rig used this April. The previous owner had a Body Glove filtration system installed. Filters are almost $400.00 each. I guess I will be replacing in the near future.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Unfortunately, the peg board side isn't much deeper . . . you could get about 2" MAYBE 3" more without contacting the tanks.
When I installed a basement TV in the "Pegboard Room" I was able to squeeze 4.5". That includes a 3/4" sheet of plywood which now abuts my water tank -- my install drawing.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:19 PM   #64

What size flex house votes Newmar user to connect to water filter? I've seen several filter housings have 3/4" female port. So, I would be a 3/4 male to what? A 3/8" or 1/2" barb or something like that?
Old 07-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post
DW is very concerned about water filtering for the rig. Has anyone taken their water filtering and softening to the next level or does everyone just use the built-in units?

If anyone has figured out if a Doulton or Berkey filters can be used on the built-in filter, I'd be very interested to learn more about that.
I have a cullingan reverse osmosis system with a 12 volt aquatek booster pump. I soften the water from the supply, then it filters thru the reverse osmosis and fills my fresh water tank. The entire coach is supplied with filtered water. 1998 model Vogue, brass faucets still look brand new. Water tastes great.
Dperryind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:13 PM   #66

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Double Filtering

My Entegra includes a whole house replaceable whole house water filter, a separate drinking faucet/refrigerator filter, and the on board residential refrigerator filter. I purchased an On the Go double size water softener a few years ago and it works well for me. This softener lasts about four weeks between recharges and it uses common table salt.

I did not want city water to enter the water softener without pre filtering so I added an additional water filter (the case is identical to the whole house filter) between the campground water source and water softener. I use a 10 micron filter in both 10 inch filter cases. Several months ago we were staying a campground that uses well water. The town lost power for about 12 hours (there were multiple, intermittent power surges that didn't get past my Progressive surge protector) and, once stable power was restored and the well started pumping again and my pre-filter filled with mud. None of it reached my water softener.

The system I use is the one I recommend and it has served me well.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #67

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I built a external three stage filter from parts off Amazon for a lot less than a purchased system " With the filter in the motorhome we are running 4 stage & water softener, the 3 stage below are before the water softener" - So far have been every happy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190725_161300a.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	554.3 KB
ID:	254644  
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #68

I wouldn’t buy my water filter system from anyone other than Dave at the rvwaterfilterstore. Give him a call - the items he sells are specd for filtering and flow.

I use the two cannister system on my TT and you won’t find a better potable water hose anywhere else IMHO. As you can tell - I’m a fan!
ScenicView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
I built a external three stage filter from parts off Amazon for a lot less than a purchased system " With the filter in the motorhome we are running 4 stage & water softener, the 3 stage below are before the water softener" - So far have been every happy
I'm seeing endless recycled water in that picture...
Old 07-25-2019, 04:48 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Our setup... DUAL Jumbo filters from rvwaterfilerstore. Kiss approach. Very portable lol. Started with it when we had a 2008 Monaco Dynasty DP and 3 years later it's been used on (2) 5th wheels along with the large softener. Has worked awesome for our needs. If water is not potable in the first place we buy it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190725_152716345.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	254650Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190725_152727390.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	254651
tophog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water