Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #1

Has anyone upgraded or currently using filters other than the Flowmatic filters that came standard with your Newmar MH? My coach came with a #6 Max VOC filter for the entire coach and #3's for the kitchen sink dispenser and ice maker/water dispenser. I am considering adding an external water softener (Mark 8000).

I am always looking for new ways to enhance water quality without limiting pressure and water flow. Most of the time we fill the water tank and use the pump for showers (best overall pressure).

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #2

Has anyone upgraded or currently using filters other than the Flowmatic filters that came standard with your Newmar MH? My coach came with a #6 Max VOC filter for the entire coach and #3's for the kitchen sink dispenser and ice maker/water dispenser. I am considering adding an external water softener (Mark 8000).

I am always looking for new ways to enhance water quality without limiting pressure and water flow. Most of the time we fill the water tank and use the pump for showers (best overall pressure).

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jerry, I have installed water filter system similar to yours but not the softener system. If you need some info on different systems from MFG's and home grown go to "find" and type in "water filter systems" and you will get more info than you bargained for. Take off the check mark.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #4

We're presently considering an RO(Reverse Osmosis) system similiar to the ZRO made by Watts. We will use it for drinking and ice water. Iit is supposedly a RO that has no waste water-still trying to figure out how that works. But as you all know filters will take out very little particles and to get the best water an RO is required.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:22 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
When I ordered my MACA in 04 Newmar what $231 to install a $25 whole house filter. I opt'd out of that and converted my filter system from my class C to work in the new rig. Needless to say I only have to hook up one water hose for everything. I even added a Watts house pressure regulator. Total cost for filter, regulator, hoses, brass hose repair kits, hose clamps, quick disconnects, anti back flow fitting and anything else was less that $75. All the pictures are over in the photo section.

Next I added a Watts 5 stage RO system under the sink. This is 3 large filters, RO membrane,a holding tank and final filter for about $169 if my memory serves me. This is the older system that can take up to 4 gals of water to make 1 gal of RO water. I just route the waste to the fresh water tank and use it for flushing when on the road. There are "0" waste units available. But, I want to think they are almost 0 and not true 0. My RO install is also over in the photo section.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #6

I have the On the Go water softener. Soes a good job and makes a real difference at some parks with lousy water. I chose it due to its size and the fact it uses regular Mortons table salt. Easy to put in salt and recharging takes aobut 20 inutes or so.
The filter does not seem to affect water flow, and I use quick connectors into and out of the softener. It comes with those connectors. In fact, I get more flow restriction from a small filter than I do with the softener. Am switching from the inline hose filters to a whole house type cannister filter. Those allow a water flow of 5 to 7 gallons per minute in homes...and I assume in an RV.
KTYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #7

Unfortunately water softners and filters do little to take out the majority of unwanted particles.

Reverse Osmosis is much more efficient but normally requires a loss of 4 parts per 1 part of water made. This is OK for us if we route the waste water back into our holding take which will be used for mormal non drinking functions.

The ZRO by Watts, supposedly has no waste water but we have been unable to confirm so far(can't get a hold of anybody at Watts-must be the Holidays.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #8

DAV5942 - I noticed in the ZR0 installation instructions 2 things you might question them about.
1) The ZR0 pump is a 24v model driven by a 120v transformer. I wonder if they have a 12v model so you don't have to keep the inverters going to get RO water. Also the inverter problem of such a low draw that the inverter might not even sense it in order to turn itself on if this is the only load.
2) The ZR0 system connects to BOTH the hot and cold lines. What do they need the hot water for? If it needs hot water for something I suspect it will work fine with a conventional RV tank hot water system but how about hydronic systems, will there be sufficient residual hot water from these to do what the ZR0 needs the hot water for?
Just a couple thoughts if you get a hold of them...
Old 12-21-2006, 11:33 AM   #9

RVDude, noticed the same things you did(they probably need the 24v to run the high pressure pump), still no contact with Watts.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:21 PM   #10

I use the Water-King water softener and it does a great job. NO salt to mess with. I have it built right into may water bay area.
hoosier1 is offline   Reply With Quote