Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #1

Water in the window track!

We had a lot of heavy rain last night and the window track on the driver's side filled with rain water! So much so, that I had to use towels to soak it up.

I guess this is the heaviest/longest duration rain we've been out in. The coach is usually garaged at home.

Where is the water coming from and/or why isn't it draining? We have little holes under the window on the outside that we assumed were drains. If they are drains, they don't work!

Has anyone solved this problem before? What did you do?
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
You might be experiencing a leak either in the marker lights, antennae, or the window itself.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #3

Is the water coming in the weep holes?
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #4

That's what we wondered but how can that happen? There was tape over the holes but we took it off.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #5

I take a can of compressed air (type used to clean keyboards) and just blow out the weep hole every so often.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We had a lot of heavy rain last night and the window track on the driver's side filled with rain water! So much so, that I had to use towels to soak it up.
I guess this is the heaviest/longest duration rain we've been out in. The coach is usually garaged at home.
Where is the water coming from and/or why isn't it draining? We have little holes under the window on the outside that we assumed were drains. If they are drains, they don't work!
Has anyone solved this problem before?
What did you do?
KarenS144
Regardless of the brand of the windows in your RV
It's not uncommon for those "drains", (aka: weep holes), to "plug up".
See Leaking Windows Cleaning The Weep Holes On Your Hehr Rv Windows mp3 Free Download, Play, Lyrics and Videos
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a common problem with campers. The water hits the window and runs down. It goes into the window channels. The weep holes are supposed to drain them. Trash off the bushes and trees get into the holes and stop them up. We had to enlarge the holes on some campers.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:36 PM   #8

We're still having a problem with the driver's window. It's still filling up with water when it rains and is not draining. I've poked a wire through them, vacuumed the track and shot the holes with compressed air. The air is coming through based on the spray of water but the water isn't draining.

I did it all over again today, poking the wire, vacuuming, blowing air and poured water in again and it's still water tight!

It takes me a while but I finally compared those weep holes with the weep holes on the other windows:

Driver's side window:

Notice the "plug" to the left of the hole. Is that supposed to be there? It was also covered with tape which we removed.

Here is what the others look like:

It's opening is much longer and that "plug" looking thing is not there. It also had tape on it. None of the other sliding windows tracks fill with water.

Should we try to pick out the "plug" on the driver side weep holes? We also wonder why the tape covered the weep holes.

There is no water coming down the inside of the window, it's all running down the outside and we assume somehow coming in at the base of the sliding window. The stationary side appears to be sealed.

Advice would be appreciated!
Old 05-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #9

The plugs and tape are there to stop air noise while moving.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
The plugs and tape are there to stop air noise while moving.
Then how are they supposed to drain or is water not supposed to get in them? If water isn't supposed to get in the track, then why are the weep holes there to start with? I'm confused.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:36 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Then how are they supposed to drain or is water not supposed to get in them? If water isn't supposed to get in the track, then why are the weep holes there to start with? I'm confused.
Either the drain hole was filed in or the hole was not stamped out correctly. The window should have the same drain hole as the rest of the windows. The previous owner probably put tape over the hole because it was so small it caused a whistling noise. The hole needs to be enlarged to the same size as the the other windows. I have made slots in windows by drilling a row of small holes in the frame and then using a file (or a high speed grinder if you have one) to shape the hole.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Either the drain hole was filed in or the hole was not stamped out correctly. The window should have the same drain hole as the rest of the windows.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:37 AM   #13

Wouldn't an easy solution be to drill a couple more drain holes in the lower track.
lvpoweryaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:11 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
IMHO...The weep holes should NOT be covered up. They are designed to drain out any water that gets in the track that your window seal gasket sits in.

One possible/probable cause for water in that track is that your window seal gasket has "shrunk" a little. I just replaced nearly 40' of window seal gaskets on my coach at about $3/foot.

On an older coach the shrinkage will most likely be noticed in the length as the ends of the gasket retreat away from the ends of the track. In some cases that gap can be significant enough to allow water to enter the track through that gap. I had one gap that was over 1/2" long on both ends.

The other affect is that the gasket starts to loose its "grip" on the sides of the channel it sits in. You might notice this if your gasket doesn't seem to hold the curves of your windows.

Replacement is extremely easy. You can pull old ones out very easily and then slide a new one in without any kind of preparation other than cleaning out the tracks with a rag.

From what I see, your window seal looks a little different then mine so you should call parts and verify what I've provided but if this looks like a possibility I believe this is what you would look at replacing...

Part number 53092
SEAL WINDOW 1/2" X .312 RIBBED

BTW...I assume this was for wind noise but there is a plug designed for the cockpit window weep holes.

Part number 019402
WEEP HOLE CVR HEHR 7600 INS
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, window