Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2022, 11:20 PM   #1

Water leak

I have an interesting issue. Water leaks in my ds 4018 from the drivers side slide. It drips down on the counter top dinette shelf. Had National rv center in Atlanta area look it. The tech was convinced it was leaking in from the back of the slide roof. Put caulking on it. A few days later. In FL. It rained. And the leak came back. It puddles right above where the leak is. Anyone have this happen? My service advisor wants to “crest a channel instead of finding the root of the problem. I feel. The topper has to come off. Maybe pull the roof panels off. And see what’s causing it.
thepenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2022, 05:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is just from experience, and hopefully help with a fix. There is a hole through the sidewall for the wiring going to your electric window awning. If that hole behind the arm is not sealed properly, or not at all water comes in, follows the wiring loop inside and drips in. I am not sure of your floor plan, or if you have an electric window awning. But that was the problem on my coach. The hole was never sealed. The proof of this, would be the same leak with the slide opened or closed.
Car1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:27 AM   #3

I do have an awning on that window. I don’t think it leaks while driving. Not sure while sitting closed. I’m not there. Makes sense. How did u trace the awning wire? Removal of awning? Btw. If I lower the front or back. Water drains. And leak is gone.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:43 AM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepenman View Post
I have an interesting issue. Water leaks in my ds 4018 from the drivers side slide. It drips down on the counter top dinette shelf. Had National rv center in Atlanta area look it. The tech was convinced it was leaking in from the back of the slide roof. Put caulking on it. A few days later. In FL. It rained. And the leak came back. It puddles right above where the leak is. Anyone have this happen? My service advisor wants to “crest a channel instead of finding the root of the problem. I feel. The topper has to come off. Maybe pull the roof panels off. And see what’s causing it.
thepenman, you should have my cell number. Can you shoot me a couple pics of where you're seeing water drip inside. I have some photo's of underside of awning but doesn't show me much. Let me look at them and I'll get back to you
Thanks
Todd
NIRVC-ATL
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

GM Atlanta 770-679-7170
Todd Springs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I do have an awning on that window. I don’t think it leaks while driving. Not sure while sitting closed. I’m not there. Makes sense. How did u trace the awning wire? Removal of awning? Btw. If I lower the front or back. Water drains. And leak is gone.
If you look up as high as you can with a flashlight, under the window valance, you will see where the wiring goes out to your window awning. You could flood the rear window awning arm with water and see if water drips onto your dinette shelf. If there is no water, you have at least eliminated that spot. That issue had me baffled for a while as I would get water on that dinette shelf with the slide open or closed. That hole was never sealed on my coach.
Old 10-24-2022, 02:49 PM   #6

Ok. Will look later this week. I think I’ll have to remove the valance. Or at the very least the electric window shades to get up in there. Still bizarre. Puddle directly on top of slide where water is coming in.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:01 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I think I’ll have to remove the valance. Or at the very least the electric window shades to get up in there.

I’ve accessed that junction box in the past when resolving a loose wire feeding the my awning. The box can be accessed from the aft most cabinet over dinette. The back panel and trim holding it are not nailed in; just friction fit.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Water Leak

Quote:
Ok. Will look later this week. I think I’ll have to remove the valance. Or at the very least the electric window shades to get up in there. Still bizarre. Puddle directly on top of slide where water is coming in.
flyboy013 clarified things for you to see if that leak is from the awning wiring. Once you remove the back of the cabinet rear wall, it will expose the junction box. That would be the time to have someone flood that awning arm to see if water comes in. Once you take the cover off the junction box, you may immediately see telltale signs of water. Not a difficult task, if nothing is found, you can rule that area out.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car1 View Post
flyboy013 clarified things for you to see if that leak is from the awning wiring. Once you remove the back of the cabinet rear wall, it will expose the junction box. That would be the time to have someone flood that awning arm to see if water comes in. Once you take the cover off the junction box, you may immediately see telltale signs of water. Not a difficult task, if nothing is found, you can rule that area out.
Next time it rains, Get a ladder out and shine it under the slide topper. See it there's any water ponding at that point.
I had this in the rear of the coach and it turned out that my coach was not level.

Tags
leak, water, water leak