Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #1

Water leak in rear closet 2012 MA 4344

We have a water leak in the rear closet. Foam that extends to the rear wall of the closet is wet. We have removed the shelf unit in the closet so we have access to rear wall of the coach and can see that the foam is wet. The foam appears to be the end of the ceiling panel foam. Suspect that water has leaked somehow to the foam and has traveled or wicked it’s way to the back closet. Don’t know if rear A/C seal might be leaking. Have applied self leveling sealant to rear camera cable roof entry point and nearby gray tank vent cap. Also applied new sealant to other adjacent areas to improve upon the existing sealant there.
Want to check the Dometic A/C unit mounting bolts for tightness. Want to eliminate the A/C seal fro being a problem causing water to infiltrate. Don’t see any access in the interior ceiling of the motorhome (ceiling has no square type plenum mounted). Went on the roof and removed the A/C shroud to look for mounting bolts (expected to see 4 bolts) but only see one accessible bolt that looks like it could be a mounting bolt.
Anybody know how the A/C units are mounted so that the mounting bolts can be checked for tight?
Thank You!!
Beachnsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #2

Its funny that you posted this problem now, and I have the exact same problem with the exact same model coach!
I've been chasing a roof leak for the last 9 months in the rear bath ceiling area.
It would usually start leaking at the ceiling light right next to the shower, and then over time, work its way back to the rear closet, and would completely fill the rear closet light fixture with water.
Well, after numerous trips up on the roof, and not being able to locate a problem, it was finally solved this last week.
My leak is coming from a hair line crack in the clear sky light in the shower. Ordered a new sky light from Newmar, and plan on installing it this next week.
Those roof leaks are a pain to track down, as the leak will be in one spot, and then travel through the ceiling and make its self known some distance away.
Not saying this is your problem, but take a very close look at the shower sky light for a hidden crack
Good luck !
Beach Aire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #3

While not always successful, positive pressure smoke test will sometimes identify the source of a leak.

Best of luck to you, well - both of you!!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Aire View Post
Its funny that you posted this problem now, and I have the exact same problem with the exact same model coach!
I've been chasing a roof leak for the last 9 months in the rear bath ceiling area.
It would usually start leaking at the ceiling light right next to the shower, and then over time, work its way back to the rear closet, and would completely fill the rear closet light fixture with water.
Well, after numerous trips up on the roof, and not being able to locate a problem, it was finally solved this last week.
My leak is coming from a hair line crack in the clear sky light in the shower. Ordered a new sky light from Newmar, and plan on installing it this next week.
Those roof leaks are a pain to track down, as the leak will be in one spot, and then travel through the ceiling and make its self known some distance away.
Not saying this is your problem, but take a very close look at the shower sky light for a hidden crack
Good luck !
I had a cracked sky light also in our 13 Essex. Pull the shroud from your sky light and see if you can see a crack.

Otherwise I would look at the AC.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #5

I have a 2015 Dutch Star, no ceiling leak yet, and would like to know where to look for the roof Air Conditioner hold down bolts. Just figured like everything else on these Newmars, keep checking on the attachment bolts on everything.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I have a 2015 Dutch Star, no ceiling leak yet, and would like to know where to look for the roof Air Conditioner hold down bolts. Just figured like everything else on these Newmars, keep checking on the attachment bolts on everything.
Pretty sure from the inside. Mine were loose after I found a big puddle.

Can I ask you Newmar owners a question? When a newmar leaks, do you have to worry about exterior delamination? Iv read newmar uses a thick solid fiberglass exterior.

And when water finally does get inside your wall, do you remove interior paneling to speed drying so the wood studs don't rot or you end up with mold?

Thanks!!
Old 11-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #7

At least on my 02 MA, the studs are aluminum. The exterior and roof are fiberglass.
There is wood laminate in the sidewalls.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:46 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerod View Post
Pretty sure from the inside. Mine were loose after I found a big puddle.

Can I ask you Newmar owners a question? When a newmar leaks, do you have to worry about exterior delamination? Iv read newmar uses a thick solid fiberglass exterior.

And when water finally does get inside your wall, do you remove interior paneling to speed drying so the wood studs don't rot or you end up with mold?

Thanks!!
Rerod, all newmars are built with a full aluminum structure. The Exterior is a solid fiberglass sheet bonded to a wood panel running the full length of the RV. So pulling a section off to speed drying isn't possible (except at the factory).
Old 11-26-2018, 06:37 AM   #9
tcg

When I had a leak in my Class C I used a moisture meter to figure out where the water was coming from.

I dragged the meter around the exterior walls and could see the path of the water by noting the area where it went from dry to wet.

In my case it was from a corner seam and you could see an upside down funnel path from the leak to the side wall.

Also gave me peace of mind that the leak was limited to one area.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak