Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2022, 07:57 PM   #1

Water Leaking down into storage bays

2022 Newmar DutchStar 4310.

I noticed the carpet on my passenger side bays was wet after a long drive in the rain. Some quick searching around the internet and it appeared others saw rain water getting in after a long drive in the rain and I scheduled time for the dealer to look at it. I emptied the bays and put out some mats that would show if I had a leak coming from the ceiling of the bay. No such leak was detected overnight. I assumed it was the rain driving and put everything back in and off we went to our next home. No rain and a few days later I am in the bays and the wetness is back and worse than before. I noticed the black plastic on the roof of the bays was sagging down so I cut a slit into it and sure enough the insulation is soaked. I can push up on the insulation causing water to run down through the cut I made. This area is just below my kitchen sink area so I went under the sink to check for any leaking in the drain and there is nothing there. I drained some of the water out of the insulation and it appears to be fresh water but I cannot 100% rule out gray water. Definitely not black water.

I plan on calling Newmar on Monday but any ideas where I may be able to look for this leak in the meantime?
jeremyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2022, 11:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The method that worked for me was to put strong work lights in the compartment, close the door and wait until dark.

The holes and bad seams showed up instantly. Armed with a caulking gun, I was able to fix them all, and now the compartments are dry as a bone.

Best of luck
Old 10-01-2022, 07:52 AM   #3

I would suspect a bad crimp or pinched/cracked water line feeding your sink or dishwasher.
Insulation is easy enough to replace. You’ve got to get in there and find the leak before your subfloor is compromised.
With insulation pulled, water on, hopefully it is obvious and easily reached.
Best of luck.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:03 PM   #4

Big thanks to Mike and John at North Trail RV. They are dealing with huge issues after the hurricane but they took the time to walk me through a quick diagnosis over the phone. Found a leak in the flex drain pipe under the sink. The zip ties holding the bundle of moving parts for the slide had worn through it. I was able to cut the zip and apply some handy dandy flex tape to keep me rolling. Cut out the wet insulation from below and have fans drying things out inside the coach and out. Will be stopping by to have the flex drain replaced properly as well as the insulation when we reach Florida.

bevandtomH your recommendation was spot on with what they had me do so thanks as well.
jeremyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:13 AM   #5

Glad it worked out for you.
Govee makes some remote water sensors that would connect to your (in my case, our hot spot) internet source. Set them in select spots in the basement or inside the living area.
Got them from Amazon.
We FT, but if we stored the coach or left for days on end, I would like to know if we have a water issue while away. I know we should shut the water off when leaving the coach during the day, just need to do it so it becomes routine.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:29 AM   #6

A Light in the Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
The method that worked for me was to put strong work lights in the compartment, close the door and wait until dark.

The holes and bad seams showed up instantly. Armed with a caulking gun, I was able to fix them all, and now the compartments are dry as a bone.

Best of luck

Wow, that's a damn good idea. Makes perfect sense. So simple it sounds stupid, yet it works like a charm!

Bill
2019 NADP 3343
BillW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:50 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a 2019 VT 4310 and had the same problem with the kitchen sink drain. The part is a specialty item since it has threaded connections with swivel (since it is bent in a U).

The part number is listed on the plywood panel on the right side of the sink bay. It was about $27 from Newmar. The parts guys don’t stock it they have to go get it from production. Took about a week to get mine.

In the meantime I made up a replacement for about $20 from SPA hose and PVC couplings which can be solvent welded together (found an old post over on the Monoco forums with that trick). So now I have a spare.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, storage, water, water leak