Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #15

1) I believe I have a label somewhere from Newmar that says max 55 psi for my coach.

2) No, the plumbing is NOT the same. Most homes use copper tubing and pipe with threaded and soldered fittings. Our Newmars (and most RV's) use PEX plastic tubing with plastic fittings.

3) You want one of the adjustable regulators because they have larger water passages and a higher flow-rate, despite pressure. Look at the holes in one of the fixed regulators and you'll find a hole 1/4" in diameter or less! This small hole doesn't change pressure, but it does restrict flow. Now look at the holes in one of the adjustable regulators -- MUCH larger. Therefore, higher flow rate.

4) One of the RV parks we stay at in Flagstaff, AZ has pressure over 100 psi. They have warning signs all over and will lend you a pressure regulator. We saw the results of what happens when you don't regulate. The coach next to us must have blown out something during the night and the next morning they were hauling out dripping bedding, rugs, cabinetry, etc. What a mess!

I use a Valtera adjustable pressure regulator. It looks identical to the Watts, but I can't verify that they're the same. My Valtera works very well -- and has for over 10 years.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
1) I believe I have a label somewhere from Newmar that says max 55 psi for my coach.

2) No, the plumbing is NOT the same. Most homes use copper tubing and pipe with threaded and soldered fittings. Our Newmars (and most RV's) use PEX plastic tubing with plastic fittings.

3) You want one of the adjustable regulators because they have larger water passages and a higher flow-rate, despite pressure. Look at the holes in one of the fixed regulators and you'll find a hole 1/4" in diameter or less! This small hole doesn't change pressure, but it does restrict flow. Now look at the holes in one of the adjustable regulators -- MUCH larger. Therefore, higher flow rate.

I use a Valtera adjustable pressure regulator. It looks identical to the Watts, but I can't verify that they're the same. My Valtera works very well -- and has for over 10 years.
I use the Valtera adjustable as well. Although I've been considering switching the the far more expensive Watts adjustable which from what I've read has higher flow rate.

As to houses, most new houses these days are built with PEX, but as mentioned earlier, houses also have pressure regulators near the meter.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post

4) One of the RV parks we stay at in Flagstaff, AZ has pressure over 100 psi. They have warning signs all over and will lend you a pressure regulator. We saw the results of what happens when you don't regulate. The coach next to us must have blown out something during the night and the next morning they were hauling out dripping bedding, rugs, cabinetry, etc. What a mess!

Actuall, PEX is becoming quite common in the home building industry. Many new homes and remodels are now using it. Much easier to work with than copper.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:25 PM   #18

I have to say that Fairview fixed regulator from RV Filter Store looks very interesting. They are claiming 9-10 GPM. I've been meaning to get a backup anyway, so I'm going to order it for a while and see if it becomes my primary.

By the way, just remembered in the end I decided not to go with the Valtara based on Amazon reviews and instead went with the Renator M11 adjustable regulator.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #19

So, is this your first RV? Another question what makes you sometimes use it and sometimes not? What is your criteria? If it’s working for you so far stick with it, I for one don’t care to play Russian roulette so my it’s permanent installed.

Zzotte
Old 02-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #20
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
This is the one your looking for.....

https://www.amazon.com/Regulator-Adj...egulator&psc=1
It is...if you like Chinese-made things with very poor customer service when something goes wrong. I'll gladly pay more for US-made.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:48 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
It is...if you like Chinese-made things with very poor customer service when something goes wrong. I'll gladly pay more for US-made.

TJ
Yea....I had that model too....but it only lasted a short time before I had to take it apart. I may look at the Watts one now...

Was this one folks are buying?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Watts-Press...ulator/3309168
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I've always had a Watts adjustable regulator with gauge, set to 55-65 psi on my coaches. On the new coach I wanted to simply the system by trying a new regulator offered by Fairview and sold at the RV Water Filter Store. It's rated at 55psi and simply attaches to the hose end. It's not like the old cheapies that restricted flow and you never knew what they were set at.

Even though the hoses on our power hose reels are rated at 150 psi, I like that this one attaches to the hose end and protects the entire system. It's heavy and well made.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Fixed.htm

Just purchased via Amazon. [emoji106] Thanks!!
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:54 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
In the RV world of plumbing we deal with two factors, pressure and volume. A lot of the cheap inline fixed regulators bring the pressure down by restricting the volume.
I have always thought about it like this: take a empty 5 gallon bucket, time filling the bucket with a 5/8 ID hose at 60 PSI. Next empty the bucket and time filling it with a hose with an ID of 1/4 inch at 60 PSI. Both tests conducted at 60 PSI. Which test bucket filled faster? Pressure with low volume makes for a not so good shower.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:00 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Water pressure regulator

For the poster that said they don’t use a pressure regulator, IMO this is like playing Russian roulette. I have seen parks that exceed 100 PSI. You could total a perfectly good motorhome if while your out on a day trip a interior plumbing line blows off severely flooding your motorhome, drenching your subfloor and cabinets and worse wicks up into the walls. For safety it doesn’t matter what type regulator you choose, just use one.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:10 AM   #25

I always use a Watts water pressure regulator, and this is why:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8117.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	234355  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #26

I have had supply hoses burst from high water pressure. I use an adjustable pressure regulator located at the supply tap so everything is protected.
I set it at 55 lbs. Newmar states a max of 60 lbs.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:53 AM   #27

Hello all, I need some help with my Watts setup. When left overnight my water pressure will rise to 65 PSI but when in use it drops to about 20 PSI. I have 2 ideas about this.

1- My watts regulator is shot?

2- Should I have the regulator closer to the motorhome but then the overnight build of pressure would be in the motorhome PEX plumbing? Right now length of 50 foot hose is between regulator and gauge set-up at inlet at motorhome.

And if anyone can guess what very popular campground we are at get a prize Thanks, Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00644.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	570.6 KB
ID:	234357   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00645.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	234358  

Name:	DSC00646.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	234359  
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:10 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sights View Post
Hello all, I need some help with my Watts setup. When left overnight my water pressure will rise to 65 PSI but when in use it drops to about 20 PSI. I have 2 ideas about this.

1- My watts regulator is shot?

2- Should I have the regulator closer to the motorhome but then the overnight build of pressure would be in the motorhome PEX plumbing? Right now length of 50 foot hose is between regulator and gauge set-up at inlet at motorhome.

And if anyone can guess what very popular campground we are at get a prize Thanks, Joe
Looks like Fort Wilderness....Disney....
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pressure