Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2022, 07:57 AM   #1

Water pump, 2020 DS

Howdy, I know it sounds silly, but I am trouble shooting what I believe is a bad water pump and am looking for some confirmation. Water flows when connected to shore. I disconnect and turn water pump on. I get know flow or a sound like I use too. Fuse cks good. I have not put a DVM on the motor yet, ( forgot it at home). Anything else I should ck before I year into it replacing it? Thanks
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2022, 08:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinddancer View Post
Howdy, I know it sounds silly, but I am trouble shooting what I believe is a bad water pump and am looking for some confirmation. Water flows when connected to shore. I disconnect and turn water pump on. I get know flow or a sound like I use too. Fuse cks good. I have not put a DVM on the motor yet, ( forgot it at home). Anything else I should ck before I year into it replacing it? Thanks
Definitely need to check the wiring and for power at the pump. Couple suggestions beyond that: Have you tried the pump switch in the wet bay versus the switches inside the coach? Also, I would try to open several faucets at the same time, as there might be air or something trapped in the tank causing the pump to sense pressure and not activate. Hope this helps.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:29 AM   #3

You need to use a volt meter to check for power at the water pump. If the fuse is good, then you need to verify that the switches are sending power. Pump should vibrate when tuned on. Remove the inline screen and see if it begins to run then. If it’s primed, it will not run until it’s called for. You can also cycle the tank fill valve to fill with the switch on and the pump should begin to vibrate.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:56 AM   #4

Quote:
I’d try what’s been suggested by others, but also try replacing the fuse. Sometimes you can’t tell if one is bad by looking at it.

You may want to try running your pump with an auxiliary power source like a battery charger to verify it’s bad. It’s not likely is bad, but it could be.

Also, it’s likely that one of the switches is bad or a wire has come loose. I don’t know how they’re wired, but normally when wires are hooked up to multiple switches, the circuit will be killed if one switch is faulty. Good luck.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:01 AM   #5

There is a pressure switch on the pump (turns on motor when pressure in line drops) so having power to the pump could be 2 inches short of getting to the motor. I'd try the old give it a tap with something.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:06 AM   #6

I have 13.25volts at the pump, so in my mind the pump has proper voltage. I found the pump strainer feed line was broken so bypassed it by removing it and installed the line directly to the pump. BTW a new strainer has been ordered and will be ready for me when I get home in a day. The bad news is I still have no flow to the sinks or toilets with the pump. The pump comes on, but I am not getting flow with the pump. Everything seems to work when using shore water. I am thinking I should be able to remove output line and turn the pump on to see if I have flow? This would tell me if the pump is plugged or maybe running but not pumping. Any thoughts?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-19-2022, 11:19 AM   #7

Try opening a faucet-- that will help the pump to push the air out and re-prime.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:21 AM   #8

Yep, I have a couple of faucts open for a few minutes now, and the pump does not seem to be pumping. It is running, I can feel it and see it so something must be blocking the output or for what ever reason the feed line to the pump might be blocked?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-19-2022, 11:23 AM   #9

I lean toward pump lost its prime. I'm assuming a load of water in your fresh tank. Maybe a strainer part got sucked into the pump.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:18 PM   #10

Remove the filter from the housing and install housing. You can remove the output side of the pump and see if you get flow. Make sure your tank fill valve is in the city water position. If you still have no flow, need to replace the pump.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:32 PM   #11

Thanks Bobby, you have confirmed what I was getting ready to do. I will be home in a day so will finish testing when I get there. Pulling the whole coach filter is a new idea, not sure what that would do as again I have solid flow from shore water. I think the pump on the motor is damaged. The pump is a Pentair Shurflow 4048-453-A75, which is a 4.0 GPM 55PSI pump. They seem to be easy to get and find. My question is if this one dated as 05/13/19 has stopped working after only a year of use, is there a better or higher quality pump I should go to? Maybe I will simply buy two pumps for the next time I have issues. LOL
Anyway onto my next issue, Low Voltage at my Cockpit supply socket. Always something.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-19-2022, 01:26 PM   #12

Does motor come on?
*place your hand on motor then have someone turn pump switch on.
If it energizes you can feel motor run

Doesn't come on.......fuse either in-line at pump or on DC Fuse panel

Does come on.......open nearest faucet to allow pump to prime
*can take several seconds.
Should be able to feel discharge line and feel flow
Has flow.....then is FILL Valve still open?
*Fill valve open---pump discharge goes back to tank (not to faucets) so pump just 'round robins'
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:36 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Bobby, you have confirmed what I was getting ready to do. I will be home in a day so will finish testing when I get there. Pulling the whole coach filter is a new idea, not sure what that would do as again I have solid flow from shore water. I think the pump on the motor is damaged. The pump is a Pentair Shurflow 4048-453-A75, which is a 4.0 GPM 55PSI pump. They seem to be easy to get and find. My question is if this one dated as 05/13/19 has stopped working after only a year of use, is there a better or higher quality pump I should go to? Maybe I will simply buy two pumps for the next time I have issues. LOL
Anyway onto my next issue, Low Voltage at my Cockpit supply socket. Always something.

You should have a smaller strainer next to the pump, it has a small filter in it which can get clogged. Since your motor isn't running though, it's probably not the filter either. Your pump is self priming and can run dry. It's unlikely that it's gone bad, but stranger things have happened. Probably something simple.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:46 PM   #14

If your filter is clogged, the pump can not prime even though city water flows. I would get a larger 5.3 gpm pump for more pressure in the coach. Unless you do a lot of dry camping. Then keep the lower gpm pump.

Tags
pump, water, water pump