Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #1

Water pump not shutting off

What would cause the water pump to run continually with a half tank of water and the fill lever is in the city water position. Water comes out of the faucets when you turn them on but when you cut them off it continues to run. I have not noticed any water leaking under the motorhome.
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you have the water valves set wrong. This will allow the water to return to the tank. A bad pump diaphram will allow the pump to keep running, but usually at a very slow pace.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
No, yOu aren't allowed to hook up to MY water pump tonight...git yer own! :-) Sounds like you have the perfect opportunity to trade up for that new Dutch.
I'll help you negotiate for a new one tomorrow.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #4

Look at the check valve where you connect to city water and make sure that is not defective
vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #5

Slabman, negotiating is not the problem .
Old 07-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I assume you are not connected to city water. As mentioned above, try turning valve to fill tank. Different manufacturer and coach, but my setup recirculates pumped water back to tank with valve setting on city water.

Hope this helps.
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Set the valve to the "off" position. In the "Fill" position the water pump is recirculating back into the tank and will never shut off..

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
A couple other things that will make it run continuously are
1) a vacuum break on the suction side of the pump
2) a pump failure - Not sure which pump you have but Shurflo's are notorious for this and the symptoms are as you described.
You can test this by disconnecting the suction hose from the valve and placing it in a bucket of water. You may need to remove the screen and connect the hose directly to the pump to minimize the number of connections. If the pump still runs continuously, you may have a bad pump. If it pressures up and stops, you have a vacuum break. I replaced a Shurflo pump on my 1st rig before the end of the warranty.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:23 AM   #9

I dissconnected the inlet line to the pump reinstalled and all is well, must have been some kind of an air lock. Pump was making a funny gurgling sound prior to that. Thanks for all the feed back. PS signiture changed from David D. to Tinman
Old 07-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. View Post
I dissconnected the inlet line to the pump reinstalled and all is well, must have been some kind of an air lock. Pump was making a funny gurgling sound prior to that. Thanks for all the feed back. PS signiture changed from David D. to Tinman
That's a great outcome. I'm guessing you had a loose connection. If the pump is sucking air, it will not pressure up enough to reach the high limit switch.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump