Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #1

Water Pump Wiring 2001 vs 2010 Problem

When we had the 2001 MADP all the switches for the water pump were "momentary" switches and the pump could be turned on or off from any switch location regardless of where the last command was made. Our 2010 DADP has two position rocker switches at all locations The switches are white plastic, look a lot like the lighting switches, and have no pilot light to tell the operator if the pump is on or not. The basement switch is a black 2 position rocker switch that exposes a red portion when in one position.

The problem with the new rig is that none of the switches will disable the pump. The pump works fine...it shuts off when not needed and pumps when pressure is needed but there is no way to stop the pump when a water valve is open or when you have the fill valve open to fill the tank.

I haven't investigated yet so I was wondering if this is a common problem or also if there is a wiring diagram for my later style system? It seems like whatever pump relay is used is permanently stuck in the on position and that would be a real problem if I spring a leak.
cmaxcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #2

Thinking about this...with the 2 position rocker switches, could it be that any 1 switch, of the many, in the on position will keep the pump live? That seems a bit stupid since it would require checking all of the switches to fill the tank without the pump running. The momentary on switch working a relay makes more sense.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try with the basement sw not showing red. then toggle one of the others.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If any one switch is on the pump is going to work that's why my bath and 1/2 with a total of four switch's I always controlled when necessary from the display area of coach and told everyone else to leave other bathroom switch's as they are off.
To disconnect yours now you have to place them all off and decide who is going to control the switch for pump.
I never had a problem with leaving my water pump on while traveling down the road until we hooked up the city water connection at next CG.
There is a recent thread where someone did have a problem doing that.
Did this same thing with all the coach's I had.
The switch's had no LED to indicate switch was on only the one LED in the display area.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #5

007, I only have water pump switches at each of the 3 sinks and in the basement.

My '01 rig had a water pump switch with pilot light by the 2 sinks and the basement AND in the control panel over the dash and any one of them would toggle back and forth to control the pump power and make all pilot lights go on or off.

The only thing I have not tried is to try to figure out what position is off at each rocker switch(they are not marked on/off) and if I can get them all off at the same time the pump might not run. Maybe.

They had a perfectly simple system in '01 so why make it so complicated in 2010? Dumb!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I hear what your saying this is the controller I had and never had a problem with it, I have seen some problems with the new one they use now and they had to be changed out by members.
Never did find where they installed it but that's for someone else to find now if it ever needs to be found.
The DP's must of had the LEDs.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
If the Water pump controller was bypassed, that could explain the problem here. I current am looking for my water pump controller location. My water pump does not work and the fuse is good. From my research here in IRV2, I understand it may be the controller switch is defective. I have looked everywhere for it including all areas around the water pump. Anyone have any suggestions where to find this device.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:49 PM   #8

My 01 DSDP 4095 has 3 switches if any one is on the pump will run. Push in on the bottom of the switch to turn pump off. All of the switches must be off. They are wired directly to the pump, I believe there is no controller involved in the system, just the switches to the pump directly. Hope this will be helpful.
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #9

The pressure regulator is part of the pump which turns the pump on and off
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #10

I talked to Newmar a few weeks ago and I was assured that my DA has a controller even though I have searched all over the water compartment and adjoining compartments and there is no controller. I have now unmounted the pump and followed the wires and the wires are connected directly to the switches, two position switches that have only two terminals and are simple on off switches. Today I called Newmar again and got a different answer....yes we did make motorhomes without water pump controllers that were controlled by on off switches and not momentary on switches. Newmar people are very nice but it is frustrating when you can't get a straight answer.

While I had the switches out for testing, not connected, wires dangling in the air, I ran the water and the pump ran!!!!!! Obviously the pump and switches are wired incorrectly. Obviously the power wire is feeding the pump at all times. Newmar has some wires doubled up at some connections and I need to find the wire from the water pump fuse and run it to one side of the basement switch and then send it to the bathroom switch and then back to the positive wire on the pump. This way both switches will need to be on to have the pump operate. Either switch could stop the pump when that is needed. With the two position switches that is the only way that the system could possibly work.

The reason I write this is because everybody should know that when you get advice from the well meaning Newmar people they don't always know what they are talking about.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Water Pump Wiring 2001 vs 2010 Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxcliff View Post
When we had the 2001 MADP all the switches for the water pump were "momentary" switches and the pump could be turned on or off from any switch location regardless of where the last command was made. Our 2010 DADP has two position rocker switches at all locations The switches are white plastic, look a lot like the lighting switches, and have no pilot light to tell the operator if the pump is on or not. The basement switch is a black 2 position rocker switch that exposes a red portion when in one position.

The problem with the new rig is that none of the switches will disable the pump. The pump works fine...it shuts off when not needed and pumps when pressure is needed but there is no way to stop the pump when a water valve is open or when you have the fill valve open to fill the tank.

I haven't investigated yet so I was wondering if this is a common problem or also if there is a wiring diagram for my later style system? It seems like whatever pump relay is used is permanently stuck in the on position and that would be a real problem if I spring a leak.

Our 2015 Ventana has momentary contact switches with indicator lights at every location. Any location can turn the pump on or off.

So at least five years later, Newmar has reverted to your preferred system.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:04 AM   #12

Hi newmarpusher, Newmar told me that from 2012 until 2014 they phased in a new electrical system that is much more sophisticated and is wired differently than any previous system. They implied that there is a control unit that monitor/controls many functions along with the water pump. However that system works in the background, to the user it works just like my 2001 MA which makes perfect sense.

My system will work ok now that I am getting the wiring to work as designed. At least I will be able to turn the pump off if I spring a leak or when filling the tank.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #13

Well, that didn't work. This may sound stupid but I am willing to take the heat to maybe be of help to others.

I was really thrown off by the incorrect information given to me by Newmar and the fact that they have no water pump wiring diagrams for their coaches. None. This was confirmed by a very knowledgable and helpful service person at Independence RV in Florida. Independence was also the first to say "wait a minute, there should be 3 control switches, there are always 3 switches, did you look under the galley sink?". Ok, I'm stupid, but 3 calls to Newmar tech service, each call asking if there were more than 2 switches or if the controller was not always next to the pump, did not get me the instant response that I got from Independence.

Once freed of my ignorance, with the hidden galley switch now turned off, and the bathroom and basement switches turned off, the pump was no longer on. All 3 switches must be in the off position or the pump will run, contrary to what I was told by Newmar. Since none of the switches are marked and no pilot lights are provided, I made "off" labels for all 3.

I would love to install a controller and momentary switches but the wiring in the walls won't support that so we just have to check all 3 switches to make sure they are all off when we want the pump off.

Tags
water, water pump, wiring