Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Water pump won't shut off

I just purchased a 2004 DSDP. The past owner had winterized the plumbing and as soon as I got coach to warmer weather, I flushed all the plumbing. The past owner also told me to change over the water heater valves because he had bypassed water heater so as not to put antifreeze in it. Per illustration diagram next to valves I change valves to in service (open) position. Now the problem: When I turn on any of the 3 water pump switches, the water pump turns on and stays on with no facets on what so ever. No water flows from the facets if I open them. The only way the pump will turn off is if I flip the water pump switch to off.
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is there a shut off valve for the suction pipe into the water pump used to suck n the antifreeze?
Old 01-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #3

Thing to keep in mind when dealing with an RV water pump, they pump up to a set pressure and when it reaches that set point, it shuts off.
When you turn on a faucet or valve and that pressure drops, the pump comes on to try and maintain the set pressure. It will continue to run until you turn the valve off and the pump again reaches its set pressure.
So, somewhere you have a valve that's open and the pump wants to run until that valve is closed.
In the photo, the valves with the red dot should be closed and the green one open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0462.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	149490  
Old 01-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Arffman, check the water selector valve. My VTDP will not let water to the pump if it is selected to Tank Fill.
KenMarNewMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #5

x2 What Dennis said. It happened to me when I first got the coach. the winterize valve was open.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
I just purchased a 2004 DSDP. The past owner had winterized the plumbing and as soon as I got coach to warmer weather, I flushed all the plumbing. The past owner also told me to change over the water heater valves because he had bypassed water heater so as not to put antifreeze in it. Per illustration diagram next to valves I change valves to in service (open) position. Now the problem: When I turn on any of the 3 water pump switches, the water pump turns on and stays on with no facets on what so ever. No water flows from the facets if I open them. The only way the pump will turn off is if I flip the water pump switch to off.
Hate to ask but is the drain plug in the water heater?
Cheers
CoachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:44 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
All these will cause a pump to run continuously. I listed in order of probability, IMO.
1) Fill valve is not closed.
2) A valve is open somewhere
3) There's a vacuum break on the suction side.
4) Pump malfunction
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, M&G 2.0 Proportional Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
All these will cause a pump to run continuously. I listed in order of probability, IMO.
1) Fill valve is not closed.
2) A valve is open somewhere
3) There's a vacuum break on the suction side.
4) Pump malfunction

With Scott's approval, I will add a 5th possibility:

5) Empty (or near empty) fresh water tank
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
6) bad water leak? LOL
Old 01-18-2017, 11:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
sometimes u have to prime the water pump systems when they sit empty
they airlock when they do that the pump runs but no water flows hence your problem will result now this is all assuming your using tank water and not city water supply and water is in the holding tank of course because obviously if you were on city water there would be need to be using the water pump
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:26 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I did find the suction hose open. I closed it and all it did was change the pitch of water flowing thru pump but pump is still running.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:44 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks, all great comments to look at. Dennis45 diagram is exactly what I have and all my valves are set as his. I'm going to check a few things today as per everyone's comments.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:52 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
The previous owner bypassed the water heater so it wouldn't fill with antifreeze, I presume that means he drained it of water. Has the pump run long enough to refill the water heater?

For the pump to prime all of the air has to be out of the water lines, which means you have to open all of the faucets so that the pump can push the air out (with water). I've had the best luck doing it one faucet at a time. Once I get water to a faucet (it won't be full force) I close that one and go to the next one.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
The previous owner bypassed the water heater so it wouldn't fill with antifreeze, I presume that means he drained it of water. Has the pump run long enough to refill the water heater?

For the pump to prime all of the air has to be out of the water lines, which means you have to open all of the faucets so that the pump can push the air out (with water). I've had the best luck doing it one faucet at a time. Once I get water to a faucet (it won't be full force) I close that one and go to the next one.
Podivin wins the prize. I exercised all the valves and worked each facet and the pump finally shut off. Must of been an air lock. Facet on, pump on. Thanks for all the great comments.

Tags
water, water pump