RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Water softener recommendation

Looks like we will be in the RGV this winter between Nov-March and understand the water can be on the hardish side. Need some recommendations for a water softener that is reasonably priced for our rig please. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #2

There are several brands
On-The-GO
FloPur
Water Stick
ABC Water
Etc

They ALL use the same concept........ion resins beads
All regenerate using regular table salt

We have an On-The -Go 8000 grain model
Have used it for 10 yrs (1st 7 yrs were FT)
2 adults -----regen typically every 7-10 days

Bought that brand cause it was on sale.

Suggest you check pricing and buy the one that is cheapest.
Get at least the 8000 grain size.

The higher grain the more gallons of water can be processed before regen.
16,000 grain units are not available and cheaper that 10 yrs ago
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We've used the FloPur RV Pro 10,000. We've used it for the past 7 years. I Regen every 7 to 10 days with two adults. The unit works great!
Old 09-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #4

On The Go - Works great, simple to use.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #5

You really regen every 7-10 days? I was told monthly unless water is very hard., then every two weeks. Am I doing it wrong?? Water tests okay.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
We use the "on the go" brand (the bigger one that looks like a scuba tank size) in the RGV and regen typically every 2 weeks. We both shower every day and do laundry about 4 loads per week in a top loader. What we like with our softener is the large opening to pour the 2 cans of salt into. In Yuma the water has even more hardness(salts) so we will typically regen 7-10days ish depending on when we start to see spots on the bathroom fixtures. Yes we drink the water out of our tank. No we don't like RO water.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:17 PM   #7

Water Softener Install

We also had the larger portable softener that looks like a scuba tank, but found it required regeneration every few days here in the desert southwest where the water is extraordinarily hard. I've been used to the manual regeneration process over the past few years but finally went ahead with the installation of a residential softener so it is all automatic now. It is one of my favorite upgrades to date as it also saves time and effort on set up/take down not having to deal with the additional equipment. The project involved tapping into the inbound water supply upon exit from the sediment filter, along with running an overflow line out of the coach and a brine drain into the half bath (with a fabricated copper trap). Here are some photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/Lz8XMgH7CUuGBuZVA
Old 09-05-2016, 11:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncnavy2000 View Post
We also had the larger portable softener that looks like a scuba tank, but found it required regeneration every few days here in the desert southwest where the water is extraordinarily hard. I've been used to the manual regeneration process over the past few years but finally went ahead with the installation of a residential softener so it is all automatic now. It is one of my favorite upgrades to date as it also saves time and effort on set up/take down not having to deal with the additional equipment. The project involved tapping into the inbound water supply upon exit from the sediment filter, along with running an overflow line out of the coach and a brine drain into the half bath (with a fabricated copper trap). Here are some photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/Lz8XMgH7CUuGBuZVA
Nice install!

Our On-The-GO 8000 grain only needed regen every 7-10 days when in Alamogordo NM......well water tularosa basin (white sands)
2 adults.....and we were FT
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #9
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks to everyone that responded with your suggestions. We have ordered the RV Pro 10000by Flopur. They have it on sale for $173 and free shipping.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
We've used the FloPur RV Pro 10,000. We've used it for the past 7 years. I Regen every 7 to 10 days with two adults. The unit works great!
We had the same issue with re-generration every 7-10 days on the RV Pro which I got tired of so we now use the Soft Cell which last 3 to 4 times longer. It has more softener grains and comes with a pre-filter. However, it is more expensive. Sold my RV Pro 10000. The guy has a booth at some of the bigger rallies.

<b>SoftCell Portable Water Softener</b>

Good luck!!
Old 09-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Thanks to everyone that responded with your suggestions. We have ordered the RV Pro 10000by Flopur. They have it on sale for $173 and free shipping.
Same one I have. Here are some tips I use when regenerating.

I disconnect the inlet hose from the hose bib and the outlet hose at the tank fitting. I then blow on the inlet hose until I get about a quart of water in a big bowl. I then take the plug off the top and use a funnel to pour in the 20oz of table salt. I put the plug back in and tip the tank upside down several times over about a 30 minute period to make sure I get all of the brine coating all of the resin. Then I connect the inlet hose and turn it on while making sure the outlet valve is off. Now the tank is pressurized. I then tip it upside down a couple more times and then run a hose from the drain port to the sewer opening. Then follow instructions to run the water fro 20 minutes. This procedure helped when it seemed like my regeneration wasn't lasting as long.

I never use the test strips. I just go by the feel of the water. To me it's not an exact science..I do it for the feel not the actual hardness.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
No one has mentioned the unit that I have used for the past 13 years, TravelSoft 1200. Bought it at CW for under $300.

I increased the amount of resin beads inside and use a clear filter housing to charge the resin beads with crushed water softener solar salt.

I backwash and recharge every 3-4 weeks depending on the hardness of the water.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water