Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2017, 04:41 AM   #1

Water Softener results

I'm not full time and a softener would stay in our cargo bay when not in use, also on its side after draining the water. So it would be wet resin inside of it for weeks at a time in the heat. Traveling this summer so I'd like to get one, if I knew I could not have an issue with contamination or additional bacteria getting into my system. I already use a sediment filter and carbon but, don't want to add anything to the system that may produce bacteria or discolored water from sitting idle in between. Do you all sanitize each time before using or test it for bacteria, aside from using hardness test strips? Thanks
twelvewheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2017, 05:04 AM   #2

I have a water softener and when it is not used for several weeks, it needs to be cleaned by pouring chlorine (bleach) into the top and letting it set. You then flush the softener for a time. The amount of bleach and the time to flush will be in the instructions that come with the softener. It isn't hard to do and no problems.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:03 AM   #3

I have a Soft Cell and a RV pro 10000 softner and I usually flush it out and then sanitize it with a diluted clorox and water solution similar to what is used to sanitize your water tank in the RV. I then regenerate it, and its usually good for at least 3 weeks unless I hit some really hard water. The RV Pro 10000 doesn't have the same capacity as the Soft Cell and needs regeneration sooner.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting question and I've wondered about that myself.

I have the RVPro 10000. What would be the proper dilution to use? I can't find anything about that in the instructions.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmark View Post
I have a water softener and when it is not used for several weeks, it needs to be cleaned by pouring chlorine (bleach) into the top and letting it set. You then flush the softener for a time. The amount of bleach and the time to flush will be in the instructions that come with the softener. It isn't hard to do and no problems.
Cleaning is different that sanitizing. You have access to the resin, how do you clean it? I'm sure enough times using bleach will ruin the resin?
twelvewheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #6

For long-term storage you drain all the water out. And to bring it back into use, Do a backflush first and then pour in the bleach and do a slow rinse by vregenerating it. I have not seen any information that says that the bleach would shorten the life of the resin.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #7

Are we certain that a bleach sanitization is necessary? Sodium chloride (which essentially is present in tremendous excess in a fully charged softener) is a potent 'antibiotic'. Maybe if one leaves a softener in a 'spent' stage (calcium and magnesium - present in the spent stage - really don't have an antibacterial action) maybe then sterilization is important. Do manufacturers have guidance?
Old 06-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #8

I finally called Flow-Pur and they advised me to use a product called Sani-System to sanitize the RV water softener. They did say that over time bleach will ruin the resin. If your softener sits for any length of time their recommendation is to sanitize with Sani System and then regenerate. I included a link to the Sani System info. If you are interested the product is available on Amazon. Hope that helps.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/sp...System-FAQ.pdf
Old 06-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Interesting question and I've wondered about that myself.

I have the RVPro 10000. What would be the proper dilution to use? I can't find anything about that in the instructions.
I emailed them about the RV Pro 10000 and specifically asked about draining it between uses and here is their reply:
Quote:
You will not empty in between use. It comes with instructions that
detail "long term storage" but basically you want to store it with salt
inside then run a santization pack before you put it back into use.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water