RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 03:29 AM   #1

Water Softeners

For those of you with portable water softening units, how do you flush yours? We have a double OnTheGo unit and itís hard to find places to flush these out when weíre on the road. Thanks for your help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 07:58 AM   #2

We ran one when full timing. I ran the regen hose water down the sewer at RV parks. In some areas I just ran it onto the grass. No longer use one while part timing. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 12-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #3

We regenerate when needed, but only backflush once every third generation. Like the previous reply, we send the effluent into drain.
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - We regen our unit at our site, either down the sewer drain if we have one or onto gravel. Don't regen onto grass or trees as the salt will harm the plants. Back flushing (I've never had any real need to do so) can be drained anywhere that doesn't create a puddle. It will only be sand or dirt from the water supply.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #5

Thanks so much!
Old 12-02-2020, 01:44 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If on gravel or dirt, I'll regen flush on the gravel. If we are on concrete or grass, I'll flush to the drain.

Ken
Old 12-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolK55 View Post
For those of you with portable water softening units, how do you flush yours? We have a double OnTheGo unit and itís hard to find places to flush these out when weíre on the road. Thanks for your help!

I was wondering why there is a need to back flush and how often. I regen regularly but out of ignorance I have never back flushed.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I use the ground if dirt or gravel. If itís a solid pad I use the drain. Iíve regenerated a bunch of times but never back flushed. My instructions didnít say it was necessary. What is the purpose of this?
Old 12-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
I was wondering why there is a need to back flush and how often. I regen regularly but out of ignorance I have never back flushed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I use the ground if dirt or gravel. If it’s a solid pad I use the drain. I’ve regenerated a bunch of times but never back flushed. My instructions didn’t say it was necessary. What is the purpose of this?
I would think the back flush being necessary , depends on your water quality , I don't pre filter the water to my softener and when pressure seems to be lower ( DW showering will remind me ) then I back flush the unit . I think a pre filter would greatly extend the need to back flush .
My snowbird park , you would not believe the ..... that comes out during the back flush.

EDIT: BTW , my instruction sheet says :
" Back flush softener ever 3 months for 2-5 minutes , by connecting water source to softener outlet and turning water on full stream .
NOTE; If back flush and re-gen are done together , perform back-flush FIRST."
Old 12-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Over the years of having water softener at home. The regen have all had the following steps in the cycle:

Recharging consists of five stages: Fill, Brining, Brine Rinse, Backwash, and Fast Rinse.

Does the RV water softer skip the backflush???
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #11

The new simplistic RV softener I just bought (haven't completed install yet) is just 1) feed salt water into the unit backwards, 2) wait a bit, 3) flush salt water out backwards, 4) reconnect.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
The new simplistic RV softener I just bought (haven't completed install yet) is just 1) feed salt water into the unit backwards, 2) wait a bit, 3) flush salt water out backwards, 4) reconnect.
Must be a different manufacturer than the On-the-Go system .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0818.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	473.7 KB
ID:	310038  
Old 12-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Must be a different manufacturer than the On-the-Go system .
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Portable...P-16/311151973
and

https://www.homedepot.com/p/PRO-AQUA...-KIT/311628471

Same grains (size) as the double system.

But quickly looking at your posted instructions, same process. the "Regeneration Kit" above could likely be use on your as well to make the process a bit simpler. The softeners are all pretty much the same. Possible exception is mine has another "filter" towards the top of the tube that allows for the backflush. I haven't looked at your system to see if that's same. They are all vessels to hold resin and water with a tube to the bottom with a water filter. In and out water. Not much to them.

The only real differentiator in home systems is the electric / electronic head that are omitted from RV basic systems and the physical capacity of the system. I considered putting a head on my new RV softener but thought about the additional size of the head and where does the salt water go post auto cycling. Might not be good to have that all happen unattended.

I got this stuff recently on sale for about $240 for both. Good deal. I see the price has gone up quite a bit now.

I am currently figuring out the organization, mounting and features of my new wet bay but Michigan winter keeps getting in the way of implementation.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:39 AM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Ours is similar..kinda..
Stain-Less system. Stainless Water Filter | Water Softener, marine water filter, portable water filter, RV water softener, H2O, hard water, soft water, water spots, water softener for cars, soft water on the dock

Directions say to remove the water filter canister and pull the cartridge,

then fill cartridge with the salt and mount on the exit side of the tube.

Then hook water supply hose up to canister and run water thru it reverse direction until canister is empty of salt and You can no longer taste salt...
last is disconnect and re-mount everything in the normal direction [with a new filter installed in canister.]. takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
Have found that it is good for 4,000 to 5,000 gal of usage [ about every 4 months full timing]
Normally just run the recharge water down the Campground sewer drain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191220_100116 (1).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	310114  
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water