RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #1

Water Tank Losing Water While Driving

I have a 2017 London Aire, and I was hoping to get some expert advice. I have been having an issue where I lose up to 15-20% of my water from a full tank while driving. I recently had the coach back to Newmar for a few small warranty items, and they indicated they put a bigger loop in over flow hose on the water tank that was supposed to prevent the "siphon" effect of pulling water from the tank while in motion. I have not taken the peg board out that covers the tank, so I can't speak for what they have done. I am only going by what they told me.

So my question is - how to I solve this one and for all? Is there a check valve or something I can use that would still prevent an overflow situation but not have a great deal of water leak out. It is frustrating to get to my destination down on water only to have to take even shorter showers to make the water last.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

G

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #2

Water Tank Losing Water While Driving

Yup, this is a common fix, and one Iíve done myself. The only addition - one I learned here on the forum - is that I added a small hole ~1 mm (or~1/6 inch) after the tube aches over to the outlet onto the street. This siphon break stopped the problem cold. Here is a picture with the hole highlighted in blue. Attachment 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1664.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	184700  

DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:00 PM   #3

Arrow

you could easily install a plastic 'pex' style water cut-off handle(or ball valve) somewhere in the middle of the run within the water tank bay, if room exists... you would just have to remember to open it when filling the tank, and close it while traveling. There is also an easy-to-install 'no tools needed' ball valve found in most any hardware store.
Of course, you may actually have TWO overflow tubes, so two cut-offs are needed.

If you have 'pex' style plumbing, as we do, it's more than likely 3/8" lines.

when you fill a large water tank with water, you are effectively 'pushing air' - they serve to allow the air to escape AND to allow any extra water to escape. The ball valve being open allows for this when filling, and when closed allows the water to stay put. : )

some tanks/models tend to exhibit this overflow/siphon problem, and others don't, for whatever reason - ours never has.
Attached Images

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Do not put a valve in the vent line, trouble will follow when you forget to open it and I am sure you don't want to have to open/close it every time you use the water in your new LA. Just a taller loop like in post 2 is needed .
Old 12-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #5

Had a customer who added the ball valve in his drain line for the same issue. About $30K later we had his rig restored back to 'good as new' after the water tank 'exploded' and buckled the floor, cabinets, and more from filling it with the valve closed. Very bad idea.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just drill a very small hole in the top of the loop to break the siphon. It will not cause a leak and you won't get any dirt in it either contrary to what some will try to tell you.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeaz View Post
I have a 2017 London Aire, and I was hoping to get some expert advice. I have been having an issue where I lose up to 15-20% of my water from a full tank while driving. I recently had the coach back to Newmar for a few small warranty items, and they indicated they put a bigger loop in over flow hose on the water tank that was supposed to prevent the "siphon" effect of pulling water from the tank while in motion. I have not taken the peg board out that covers the tank, so I can't speak for what they have done. I am only going by what they told me.

So my question is - how to I solve this one and for all? Is there a check valve or something I can use that would still prevent an overflow situation but not have a great deal of water leak out. It is frustrating to get to my destination down on water only to have to take even shorter showers to make the water last.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

G
We also have a 2017 LADP and had the siphon issue. When were at Newmar for our 6 month warranty visit, they added a bigger loop in the overflow hose. The loop added was not as big as the one shown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Overflow.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	184717  
Old 12-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks.....I added the bigger loop, but not the hole, hopefully I can reach over the wall and puncture it. I know mine is still losing some water.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #9

Could add an air admittance valve to the top of the loop.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:45 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I had my VTDP in last week and this is one of the items fixed. All they did was as the top picture shows (post #2), just put a longer tube in so it's a much higher arch. In production they take the shortest tube to go from the top of the tank to the vent so it's very easy to siphon. I'm sure Newmar can send you the longer tube at their cost (free and free shipping) and just remove the pegboard and replace it. It's a simple no brainer fix.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Just drill a very small hole in the top of the loop to break the siphon. It will not cause a leak and you won't get any dirt in it either contrary to what some will try to tell you.
Thanks for the suggestions above.

1 - I don't want anything that can be forgotten closed and I don't need any flooding - so I want to stick with the safest method. Less water is better than 30K of repairs.

2 - If I understand correctly, with just a small hole in the tube after the bend, even on an overflow situation the water will not leak into the compartment through the tiny hole. Is this correct?

New question:

I understand the issue of the siphon when full, but I am confused that even with 50% water (or so) on the return trip home I will continue to lose more water. Isn't the siphon broken at 50%? What am I missing here?

Thanks,

G
Old 12-04-2017, 05:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I had my VTDP in last week and this is one of the items fixed. All they did was as the top picture shows (post #2), just put a longer tube in so it's a much higher arch. In production they take the shortest tube to go from the top of the tank to the vent so it's very easy to siphon. I'm sure Newmar can send you the longer tube at their cost (free and free shipping) and just remove the pegboard and replace it. It's a simple no brainer fix.
As I mentioned in my post, Newmar had the coach and supposedly did this fix. Yet I still have a problem. I have not taken off the peg board to confirm what is back there. That is why I am at a loss. Glad yours is working well now. You would think they would just do this as part of the build process.

G
Old 12-04-2017, 05:54 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your traveling between camp grounds you do not need a full tank and can save some money by cutting down your carrying weight.
You over fill the tank it will empty as found out and yes the overfill can be changed to help prevent that.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeaz View Post
As I mentioned in my post, Newmar had the coach and supposedly did this fix. Yet I still have a problem. I have not taken off the peg board to confirm what is back there. That is why I am at a loss. Glad yours is working well now. You would think they would just do this as part of the build process.

G
"OH" I have not tested mine yet. I hope it works as I don't want to have to get behind my pegboard modified bay now! Maybe a 22 cal and good aim would work :(

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water