Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2018, 08:06 PM   #1

Weather Station on a New Aire

Now that I have moved my NA to an RV storage yard for the Summer I am gaining growing confidence that I can leave the coach fully powered without shore power sustained by the 1kW solar array on the roof.

For the last several weeks I have been closely monitoring the coach with all the internet features, leaving the coach fully powered with inverter running and the Samsung refrigerator on.

The coach is located near the Pacific Ocean so there are many days the marine layer stays over the coach yielding only 40% of normal solar energy at mid day. Given it is June when the Sun is directly over head the solar panels will put out the rated power of 1kW at noon but on overcast days I typically see around 400 watts maximum. With all of the swings in solar output the batteries have so far always recovered to 100% SOC by around noon at the latest.

In order to better understand the solar energy falling on the coach I have installed a great little internet based weather station on the roof. The Ambient Weather WS-2902A is fully WiFi and ties into the WiFi Ranger Pro updating weather conditions once a minute.

Once nice feature about this weather station is that it tracks solar radiation in watts/m3 allowing me to compare with the actual output of the panels on the coach. If solar radiation, for whatever reason, is not keeping up with the power demands of the coach I will know it before the batteries are depleted. As I covered in a previous post the only important parameter I cannot see on the internet from the coach is the current SOC of the house batteries. That would require another module from Victron.

It is interesting to watch the history from the weather station when the coach is moving. Regularly seeing winds up to 70 mph. Weather station seem to tolerate the wind just fine.

Here is a video showing the web page on the internet displaying the output of the weather station on the coach.

https://youtu.be/7f76Jtumz4k
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The joys of electronics.
Will the domed unit clear bridges when traveling?
I may collect all your MOD's in a thread when I have nothing to do sometime in future, interesting stuff now that I am grounded.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
The joys of electronics.
Will the domed unit clear bridges when traveling?
I may collect all your MOD's in a thread when I have nothing to do sometime in future, interesting stuff now that I am grounded.
All tucked down behind the roof fences. Can't see it from below. $170 for a full internet weather station on an RV is a very good price. Will see how long it lasts up there.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:22 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
So when you're driving, is it showing wind speed based on your speed? I wonder how long that would last spinning like that.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
So when you're driving, is it showing wind speed based on your speed? I wonder how long that would last spinning like that.
Correct. Actually it is showing ground speed plus/minus whatever wind component there is owing to the prevailing wind. So the speed showing on the weather station will be more relevant to fuel consumption of the coach than the speed showing on the odometer.

Got 500 miles on the spinning wind meter so far. Shows no signs of wear.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Interesting, so basically you see like 60 mph wind speed if you're doing 60 and no other conditions impact the speed of it? I guess if it's designed to measure wind, spinning it round and round is what it's designed for.

I was just curious as I find that kind of setup very intriguing to have but wondered about stationary vs travel mode.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I was just curious as I find that kind of setup very intriguing to have but wondered about stationary vs travel mode.
Works pretty well. The only measurement that is hard to interpret is wind direction. Unless the coach is pointing north you have to add a correction to the wind direction equal to the direction the coach is pointing off magnetic north when standing still. When moving wind direction is always reporting in a northerly direction.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #8

very cool !

i have the wifi ranger on my coach and have basically done nothing with it so far...i need to get in gear and dive into the features....

and i have always wanted a weather station on the roof....i think i am gonna get one of these...

how is it powered ? solar rechargeable internal battery ?
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
how is it powered ? solar rechargeable internal battery ?
Roof unit uses AAA batteries. Base station is 12 volt with battery backup.

Right now I have it attached to some aluminum angle which is held to the roof with 3M double sided tape. No holes in the roof. Roof and base station are wireless. Base station is then WiFi to WiFi Ranger.

Tags
air