RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #1

weight and slide problems?

Should the weight and slide problems I read about keep me from looking at a 2015 or 2016 tag DS or Ventana in 40 or 43 foot lengths. I like the floor plans of the full wall slides but am concerned about these problems. Thanks

taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 04:11 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
This is something that I am concerned about myself. Our Ventana LE4037 has the full wall slide. I wanted something that had two slides on the driver's side, but we could not find the floor plan that we liked that had it that way. Plus the DW fell in love with the 4037 floorplan as soon as she walked in the door and the decision was made.

Another issue I have with the full wall slide is the placement on the campsite spot. If anything is tall is in the way you would loose over 2' of camping site space.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taratiffin View Post
Should the weight and slide problems I read about keep me from looking at a 2015 or 2016 tag DS or Ventana in 40 or 43 foot lengths. I like the floor plans of the full wall slides but am concerned about these problems. Thanks
The Issue...

In 2016 Newmar went to the Star Foundation, a more rigid frame system under the diesel coaches. This decision added weight to all of the coaches
In 2016, for DutchStar and above, they also changed the full wall slide mechanism to a hydraulic system built by HWH that could handle more weight than the electric ramp based system in Newmar coaches prior to 2016. This allowed the More Floor feature which has tile instead of carpet in the slide. This new slide system and tile floor also added significantly to the weight of the coaches.
These two changes resulted in some Ventanas being a little overweight and some DutchStars being a lot overweight when they were loaded up with gear and occupants.
There were also some issues with the new HWH slide system relating to a non level floor and some slide alignment issues in the 16s.

The Response from Newmar...
Newmar has been replacing the axles in the 2016 DutchStars to significantly increase the weight carrying capacity. They have been doing this under warranty. I do not know if this warranty is extended to a second owner.
They have also been upgrading some suspension components on the 16 Ventana line to increase the weight carrying capacity.
Newmar has been gradually fixing and adjusting the HWH slides under warranty as well and has made some design changes that have resolved the problem for 2017/2018 coaches.

The Takeaway...
2015 coaches are NOT affected by either of these issues.
2016 Ventana and Ventana LE will not be affected by the HWH slide issue because they still use the older electric ramp system that Newmar has used for years and has proven pretty reliable.
If you are looking at 2016 models, I would just make sure that the front axle weight issues have been dealt with by looking at the weight capacity sticker next to the driver seat and then confirm with Newmar that it is the correct, up to date, rating.
If you are looking at 2016 Dutchstar models I would make sure the HWH slide system is working properly and smoothly and the floor is level enough for you.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Just a slight correction. On the 2016 40ft Dutchstar models the fix is bigger front airbags that can carry more weight, not an axle replacement. We had this done on our 4018 model and we now have enough tolerance to carry everything we need. Problem solved.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Many of the late model 2016 43' Dutch Star's have the 18,000 pound uprated front axle from the factory as ours did. Sometime in the production year they must have made a significant improvement to the FWS floor level, ours is within 1/2 degree of level compared to the adjacent floor. I had our 2016 4369 weighed after we had it loaded up, including full fuel and 3/4 tank of water, and two passengers in front. The front axle weighed in at 16,470 pounds. No issues for us.

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems, slide, slide problems, weight