Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
It's funny, I really wish I didn't have all the TVs. We don't even own a TV at home, although we have a projector for the occasional movie. The TVs take up a lot of space, they kind of dominate the look, and especially the one in the bedroom is taking up the spot where I want to put my computer instead.

It was funny, buying a tiny house on wheels with six TVs in it (seven if you count the backup camera monitor?). Several more TVs than we have bought in our lifetime, I think. But we do love the Death Star. Hehe.

When we ordered ours we got rid of all but 2 TVs. We don't even turn on the one in the bedroom.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
If you have an HDMI cable from the output of the A/V unit to the TV there should be an audio return channel so that you get good sound from the TV back to the A/V. Of course this only works if the TV has an HDMI with ARC, which I don't know in your case.
That's a great point, Algoma. The Sony TVs in my 2015 are pretty new models, and I think it's very likely they have ARC. I totally forgot about ARC.
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
You have ARC on HDMI Input 2 of the Sony TV. I am not sure if the splitter carries the ARC back to the receiver. That is what I am using, so I can have sound for TV broadcast thru the receiver without the optical cable.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
You have ARC on HDMI Input 2 of the Sony TV. I am not sure if the splitter carries the ARC back to the receiver. That is what I am using, so I can have sound for TV broadcast thru the receiver without the optical cable.

I have connected the TV output of the receiver to HDMI 2 input of the TV, without using the splitter.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #19
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
If you have an HDMI cable from the output of the A/V unit to the TV there should be an audio return channel so that you get good sound from the TV back to the A/V. Of course this only works if the TV has an HDMI with ARC, which I don't know in your case.

That's exactly what I plan on doing. The tv on the televator has an HDMI MRC input. I'm assuming the receiver supports HDMI MRC.

I'm going to rewire, keeping the splitters but using the receiver as if it were the Big Tv (as far as the splitter is concerned regarding the sat and bluray). Then a single HDMI from the receiver to the big TV, which will also serve as the tv monitor return.

That way I use the receiver to choose the big tv input and retain the ability to send any signal I want to the other tvs.

Seems like a win win setup to me.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #20

I removed both HDMI splitters, hooked my sat receiver straight to the TV via HDMI. Keeping the audio cable from the TV to the AV receiver, if we want surround off the sat.

Then moved the DVD and Western Digital into the AV receiver, then it connects to the TV. All with HDMI cables.

The factory HDMI cable that runs from the AV cabinet to the basement has been tucked into the back of the AV cabinet.

With only 1 living room TV, we didn't need the splitters.

I added a remote extender from these guys: Microsmith Hot Link: | Hot Link Pro;

Plus a Harmony remote.

All of it is on a 8 plug surge protector with a power switch, so I can kill the whole cabinet when boondocking.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #21

Don't you have an HDMI cable from the output of the A/V to the TV? This seems mandatory to control any of the A/V menu functions. In which case you can use the ARC function to get sound to the A/V instead of the existing audio cable.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #22

The factory didn't hook it up that way.

They had DVD to splitter-living room- basement

Sat to splitter-living room-basement

TV digital audio out to AV receiver

Once I saw how they set it all up I went and gutted the whole thing. Starting over was easier.

It's also why I documented the whole process. I prefer the K.I.S.S. principle of AV.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #23
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
That's exactly what I plan on doing. The tv on the televator has an HDMI MRC input. I'm assuming the receiver supports HDMI MRC.

I'm going to rewire, keeping the splitters but using the receiver as if it were the Big Tv (as far as the splitter is concerned regarding the sat and bluray). Then a single HDMI from the receiver to the big TV, which will also serve as the tv monitor return.

That way I use the receiver to choose the big tv input and retain the ability to send any signal I want to the other tvs.

Seems like a win win setup to me.

I got around to wiring the AV system in my 2015 Ventana 4037 the way it should have been in the first place.

It all went as I planned in my description above, except for one minor annoying stumbling block that caused me hours of frustration. The single ARC HDMI input on the main TV was not one of the two Newmar had wired up for their wacky setup. No problem I think, just move one cable to the correct HDMI ARC input. Of course that input was in the center rear of the televator TV sandwiched partially behind the mounting bracket holding the TV to the televator assembly. The only way I could reach it was by removing the screen on the window behind the TV, climb a ladder and reach in through the window. Yikes!

Once I effectively got an HDMI cable run between the TV's HDMI ARC input and the receiver's HDMI TV out, all worked great. I had to go into the setup on the TV and receiver and setup ARC control as described in the manuals.

I disconnected all other analog and digital connections to/from the main TV. There is only the single HDMI ARC cable between the receiver and the main TV now. When you turn the receiver ON, audio is automatically routed through the receiver and surround speakers. When you turn the receiver OFF, audio automatically comes out of the TV's speakers. Both units play together very slickly.

All switching for the main TV is done via the receiver. I left the HDMI splitters hooked up for the other TV's, so I still can choose between SAT and BluRay as before with the overhead and exterior TV's.

I ran out of time today and didn't get to hook up the wireless HDMI to the bedroom TV for my single SAT receiver. Next weekend...

I labelled all the connections I'm using to/from the receiver (HDMI for SAT and BluRay not shown):
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429491214.740301.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	91991

These are the only three Audio/Video connections I'm using for the receiver/main TV. All HDMI:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429491322.653330.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	91992

The finished setup:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429491485.429758.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	91993

Old 04-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #24

Do they still put the dash compass up there?

If so you may need to reset it.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #25
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Do they still put the dash compass up there?

If so you may need to reset it.

Confused???

Sorry, PDR John, can you explain further?

I didn't disconnect anything not associated with the AV system.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #26
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Weird AV settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
Confused???

Sorry, PDR John, can you explain further?

I didn't disconnect anything not associated with the AV system.

I re-read one of your av re-wire threads and I think I know what you are referring to in reference to the compass.

That compass module is mounted on its own little cubby-shelf way up in the upper left of the av cabinet. It's not velcro-stacked with the av equipment as your pictures show. Its physical position was unaffected by restacking the av gear.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:17 AM   #27

OK, good. It seemed silly to me that it was attached to the AV equipment.

It takes some space to turn 3 full circles with these things. When I reset mine, I was at Newmar where all the Ford chassis sit now.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:07 AM   #28

If I understand correctly, on the 4037 with the TV on a Powerlift behind the passenger sofa Newmar put all the a/v equipment in the front cabinet above the driver? Interesting, because on the 4311 with the front overhead TV Newmar put all the a/v equipment in an overhead cabinet behind the passenger. In my coach that cabinet above the driver, and next to the TV, is completely empty (except for the compass module). Maybe someone gets paid by the amount of wire they can run through the roof space!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote