Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2019, 05:22 PM   #1

Weirdest place you’ve found a GFI

We have no power to our central vac and no power to our awnings. Support from Newmar has been horrible at best since we are 4 months out of warranty. I guess there is something to be said for SOBs 2 year warranties. Everyone insists that our problem is a tripped GFI. We can only locate 2 in our coach, one in the kitchen and one in the forward bath. Both work just fine as do every outlet on those circuits except the basement. We traced the bad lines to behind the pegboard where they join up with 7000 other cables that shoot out of view.

Please help us find this mystery GFI that is causing our issue. We did receive an electric schematic from Newmar that provided no additional help. Our choices are to pay a dealer to go through our entire coach electric looking for a needle in a haystack (like that won’t cost a fortune) or Newmar can squeeze us into the factory in 7 months. Nothing like going all summer with no awnings on a brand new coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2019, 05:29 PM   #2

I can tell you are a little agitated. My lowly model has additional ones in the basement. Also, I assume you have checked your breakers?

I'm sure someone will be along soon with some emergency advise. If this is the worse thing that malfunctions in the first couple of years you ain't doing too bad IMHO.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:00 PM   #3

Should be two in the half bath in the electrical panel and one in medicine cabinet, that is the one on mine that will cause the outage you are describing.
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
I can tell you are a little agitated. My lowly model has additional ones in the basement. Also, I assume you have checked your breakers?

I'm sure someone will be along soon with some emergency advise. If this is the worse thing that malfunctions in the first couple of years you ain't doing too bad IMHO.
Breakers are fine. We have 3 outlets on 1 circuit that don’t work. All other outlets on that circuit work.

I guess I am agitated. I just personally believe that some issues should be covered regardless of warranty coverage and I know for a fact that others have had no issue with out of warranty coverage. I also remember Newmar making bold statements when they shortened their warranty to 1 year. The bold statements were something to the effect of “we will still cover certain issues. We aren’t going to start leaving customers hanging. We are very proud of our craftsmanship and will stand behind our product and do the right thing”. I feel like a booming economy has changed their stance on that.

Thank you very much for commenting on a possible GFI in the basement. We will look there.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddowntown View Post
Should be two in the half bath in the electrical panel and one in medicine cabinet, that is the one on mine that will cause the outage you are describing.
In the electrical panel? Do you have a picture by chance? Do you have heated floors? We do not. The one in our medicine cabinet is fine. Thanks for giving us another place to look.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've bee finding them everywhere. The ones "ddowntown" mentioned are my most odd ones. Ours is a 4018 with half bath. The one in the back of the medicine cabinet is hard t see, especially if you keep stuff in there.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I've bee finding them everywhere. The ones "ddowntown" mentioned are my most odd ones. Ours is a 4018 with half bath. The one in the back of the medicine cabinet is hard t see, especially if you keep stuff in there.
You have multiple in the 1/2 bath? One is probably on the circuit we are having issues with but are other others or other one for your heated floors?
Old 04-28-2019, 07:03 PM   #8

Do you have a outside outlet sometimes they have a gfi.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I dont know what model coach you have. My 2019 dsdp has 2 gfi outlets in the cabinet of 1/2 bath where the breakers are located. One of those is from the inverter sub panel that covers the basement outlets.

The other thing to check is the actual breaker, but you said you did already.

Final check, make sure your inverter is not showing a fault message. It will kill that subpanel and all basement plugs when it faults.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:42 PM   #10

I don't know what your floorplan is, but we have two in the 1/2 bath. One in the medicine cabinet and one well hidden way in the back of the lower cabinet next to the toilet.
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:56 PM   #11

Weirdest place you’ve found a GFI

This is the breaker feeding the basement circuit. I would start there. GFI on that is in the bath medicine cabinet. There are other outlets in the basement that you can also use in a pinch. Good luck.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1638.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	243973
Old 04-29-2019, 04:36 AM   #12

In our 4381, there is a GFI in the cabinet below the sink, in the half bath. It's pretty well hidden by the u-bend.
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:30 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm sure you know this.....but a breaker doesn't always look like it is tripped. You typically have to push on each one to make sure that none of them move (tripped).
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #14

Our issue is finally solved. It was not a tripped or malfunctioning GFI. It was a loose wire in the outlet in our back medicine cabinet. Cheap outlet replaced with a higher quality one with screws for wiring connections and all is well. Glad we let Newmar handle it because it was quite a chore to find and fix and involved cutting holes in wallboard. Our coach does not have any hidden GFIs luckily.

Tags
ace