Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2015, 06:47 AM   #1

What and Where are extra wires from rear

What are these two wires for and were do they end up on the front of the coach.

Any Ideas, This is in the 7 pin plug cable assembly on the back of our Baystar.

I was adding a charge line and extra common and ran across these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150711_193302.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	99969   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150711_193350.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	99970  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The two wires would be up front under dash near steering column maybe in a plastic bag for a brake controller.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #3

Thanks I will take a look. Now I just want to find a place to wire in extra 12V sockets that are turned on with the key.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #4

Test to see if you have any power on either of those wires. One of them may be a hot line for the break controller with the key turned on.
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Power wiring to Trailer Plug

I have just completed adding a power wire to my 7 pin trailer plug. I will use this wire to charge the battery on my Toad (Toyota Tacoma). My Tacoma is wired with an RVI "Towed Battery Charger". This charger will draw a maximum of 15 AMPS at 12V. Normally it pulls much less.

The orange and black wires route up under the drivers dash near the emergency brake release. Mine had a label that said "Tow Plug Trailer Wiring". I used the orange wire to run my power to the Toad. You have to dis-assemble the trailer Plug. All pins except one will have a wire attached. The empty plug pin matches the standard for the +12V trailer power feed. I attached the orange wire to this pin. My trailer plug was attached to the coach with pop rivets. These will need to be drilled out and replaced with #10 machine screws. You will also need a couple of feet of 14 gauge stranded wire to extend the Orange wire. You can buy this wire by the foot at Home Depot. (they sell Orange wire too)

There is another bundle of 5 or 6 wires under my dash. These are for wiring a Trailer Brake controller. The Blue wire in this bundle also runs back to the trailer plug. It is connected to the standard brake controller pin.

Getting the +12V power under the dash is pretty easy on my Baystar. Newmar has an auxiliary fuse box located under the dash just above the drivers left foot. It's a rectangular box with several automotive fuses installed. There are several open slots for fuses. I picked an "AUX" fuse position near the bottom of the fuse box. It was also labeled 15A. Just to the edge of the fuse is a lug that a spade lug will push over. These are standard crimp on lugs that you can get at any auto store or Home Depot. Crimp a lug on the Orange wire. Push the spade lug over the lug post on the fuse box. I installed a 15 AMP fuse in the AUX position. This 15 AMP fuse matches the wire gauge and trailer plug current capacities. I ordered a special fuse that is resetable. If an overload occurs, the fuse opens up. When the overload fault clears, the fuse restores itself. A regular fuse should work too. The 12V is only active when the ignition is on. When you turn the key off, the 12V is removed.

I went through several complicated options before I discovered this approach. It is actually pretty simple.

Hope this helps.

Jerry - 2013 Bay Star 3002
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:09 AM   #6

Thanks for the great detail. Lots of good information here.

I ended up running a new wire to the chassis battery (fused) and a new common from the front to the 7pin plug by the hitch. I did drill out the rivets and replace them with screws. I too use the irv tow charge and so far it has worked fine.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:43 AM   #7

Shout out to you guys for posting this! Was wanting to add a 12V aux power to the 7 pin on my 2009 Baystar. After reading this I went right under the dash and found both the orange & black wires. Stripped the black wire back about 1/4 inch & then went to the harness & found the other end about 8 inches back from the 7 pin plug. Did a continuity check to verify and then connected to #4. Put a jumper on a blank in the fuse block, added a 15 amp fuse, and crimped connected them together. Verified 12V at the plug & works when the ignition is on. Also added a 12V wire to the appropriate pin in the 6 pin plug on my Grand Cherokee and added another 15amp fuse just before the battery as a backup. Fuse in the coach protects the coach and fuse in the Jeep protects the Jeep.

This post saved me a bunch of time looking & scratching my head -
(FWIW - The orange wire WAS marked "BRAKE")

Kudos to all of ya!!!!
Hunt n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote