Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2021, 01:39 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Just to beat a dead horse a few more times. Ref. my post #38. I purchased my tires from a large national retailer. I had already paid my bill including recycling fee (they did reluctantly refund the recycling fee). When I came back late to pick up our Motorhome I saw my take offs where being installed on another (on road) vehicle. I didn't sell them but someone did. Seemed to be a common practice. Retailer didn't want to talk about it but the truck driver didn't mind. Are "you / holier then thou" sure your old tires haven't been put on another vehicle, maybe even a motorhome??? Guess you'll have to start drilling 1" holes in them so you don't fall off that high horse? Guessing a lot of them get sold for other uses whether we know about it or not.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2021, 08:42 PM   #58

"Woops... I see a black mark on God's record books."

Selling them to a farmer or quarry worker that will never see any speed north of 30mph NOR a public road will garner a different response from Saint Pete, me thinks.
"Gee, I see you've done well in taking the best care possible of your earth by not filling up the landfill with your waste that could be safe and very usable by others - good job, sir!"
GeoffnJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:06 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
The Gators are from recapped tires. Unlikely these used tires would ever see recapping due to age.
That's not what Bandag says. I don't really know, and I don't think anyone really does. It could be recaps or it could be a virgin tire. In either case it's likely caused by underinflation. I'm not saying that Bandag is right but I also don't think it's fair to blame all of the gators on recaps.

https://www.bandag.com/en-us/bandag-...res-safe-legal
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 05:31 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
I don't think any state that has vehicle inspections will fail a motor home based on the age of the tires. I could be wrong, but never heard of it on this or other forums. Another point is there will always be truckers and farmers that buy takes off regardless of tire age no matter how often a poster on an RV forum takes the 'moral high ground' as to age of tires on RVs. Truckers will also sell their takeoffs for the retread market as well.

Yes they might be able to sell them however they will only be able to sell them to a re-manufacturer or reputable reseller if they are less than 5 years old and pass the required safety inspection otherwise they are supposed to be ground up for recycling.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:55 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry_star View Post
Just to beat a dead horse a few more times. Ref. my post #38. I purchased my tires from a large national retailer. I had already paid my bill including recycling fee (they did reluctantly refund the recycling fee). When I came back late to pick up our Motorhome I saw my take offs where being installed on another (on road) vehicle. I didn't sell them but someone did. Seemed to be a common practice. Retailer didn't want to talk about it but the truck driver didn't mind. Are "you / holier then thou" sure your old tires haven't been put on another vehicle, maybe even a motorhome??? Guess you'll have to start drilling 1" holes in them so you don't fall off that high horse? Guessing a lot of them get sold for other uses whether we know about it or not.

That tire dealer is likely putting his franchise license at risk if he is doing that since most national franchise chains will pull your franchise for that. Just because that bad boy makes that a practice, it doesn't make it a good or safe practice.

Sadly too many tire dealers do not play by the rules and put profits over safety which is why here in Florida they regularly consider making it illegal to do that.

Again way too many blowout and roll over accidents here are caused by tire retailers selling new and used tires that are already 5 or more years old. Ask Attorney Newsome for a tour of his evidence warehouses full of vehicles that have been involved in blowout and tread separation accidents due to tire dealers putting used tires on vehicles without doing an age and condition check using the industry standard scanning equipment to verify that the tires are still safe to use.

Lobbyists from the used tire industry keep fighting this however the continued death toll on the roadways due to the unsafe used tires being sold by them keeps growing.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:00 AM   #62

Post # 51: I made a joke about Saint Peter not admitting a guy through the Pearly Gates because a death occurred as fault of some not too good used tires he sold while alive. That joke irritated a few irv2 members as could be recognized by their posts pushing back at me. Didn't mean to get their slide-outs in a bind! That joke was only meant to illustrate that shaat can happen due to old, used tires the seller may not think are in way too bad condition... but would NOT any longer use themselves.

Post # 54: I described my background of fifty [50] years as a construction company owner and encounters I had with sellers of old tires. I also mentioned that if you [as a seller of a used tire] feel competent enough to well understand the condition of a used tire as being good enough for resale - then good on you and more power to ya!

Myself: I use tires till they are [in my opinion] no longer safe to use. Then I change them. Therefore, I simply do not take chances of an old, used tire of mine ever causing others with health condition problems from a blow out... by not ever selling any of my used tires. But... that's just me!!
Old 12-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry_star View Post
start drilling 1" holes in them great idea for some not me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffnJules View Post
"Woops... I see a black mark on God's record books."

Selling them to a farmer or quarry worker that will never see any speed north of 30mph NOR a public road will garner a different response from Saint Pete, me thinks.
"Gee, I see you've done well in taking the best care possible of your earth by not filling up the landfill with your waste that could be safe and very usable by others - good job, sir!"
I can get behind this kind of environmentalism! I have never sold a used tire but might consider it, if the circumstances were right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
I won't sell my used tires. Reason I replace tires is their either worn out [in one obvious way or another] or they simply became [I feel] too old for a safe feeling while traveling.

Saint Peter:

So... here you are at the Pearly Gates. Good to see you!

Tell me... do you feel you were good for most of your life?

Woops... I see a black mark on God's record books.

Humph... seems you sold old tires you would not drive on to the father of a nice family. And, then the family had a blow out on their RV. One was killed and one crippled for life in that accident - caused by an old bad tire.

Sorry... Although you did not mean for that to happen; you did know the tires were past their safely usable span. Therefore... a statutory 10,000 years in purgatory for you. Rest of your family currently have clean slates. If they don't make a mistake like you did... before they need to speak with me... I'll welcome each to pass through our Pearly Gates!

See Ya Later!! WOOOOSHHHHH - YOU'RE GONE!

Think about it!
At this point I envisioned you in a MH painted high vis safety lime green with red and silver 3m reflectors all the way around the bottom edge front to rear, driving while wearing a full set of kevlar motorcycle gear with a Kevlar full face helmet and safety glasses. Oh I almost forgot that for sure you have RettroBands!!!
Old 12-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bylandorsea View Post

At this point I envisioned you in a MH painted high vis safety lime green with red and silver 3m reflectors all the way around the bottom edge front to rear, driving while wearing a full set of kevlar motorcycle gear with a Kevlar full face helmet and safety glasses. Oh I almost forgot that for sure you have RettroBands!!!
GEEE - Bls... Don't be so nice! Anyway... those RetroBands you gleefully mention do seem a steer-tire safety item.

Happy Holidays - To You! And, Everyone Else Too!!
Old 12-19-2021, 09:02 AM   #65
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Thread warning

Thread Warning
Let keep the replies here strictly to the topic of "What are take off's worth". The bickering needs to stop. Thanks to those that have stayed on topic.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 03:37 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Just to night one of our long time Newmar Kountry Klub member pasted away after and front tire blow out. The Newmar coach was in the Flagstaff when the tire blow out happened and ended up rolling the coach. It is hard to believe that RV owner would endanger them self, family and other motorist by neglecting their tires as the last post stated. Even passenger car tires need to be replaced before 10 years.
Newmar Man
That’s very sad news. God bless.
GonetoRaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:11 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Tire shops are not interested in dealing with used tires. Especially since we usually change them for age and not miles.

Farmers and dump truck guys eat them up. $100 tires for these guys are a steal.
And that's what they'll tell you, until you leave, then call the farmers and dump truck companies.

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #68

I used to own a tire shop and sold used tires for many years. Was contacted by the state about a bill being introduced about the liability of the company if someone got hurt because of the used tire. They were wanting input. Used tires was not a large profit source for us so we stopped selling them.

Someone posted about tires going to landfill. All tires are recycled. Landfill will not take tires. The recycle fee is for the state recycling program. The company gets a small amount for doing the paperwork.
david2385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:36 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2385 View Post
Someone posted about tires going to landfill. All tires are recycled. Landfill will not take tires. The recycle fee is for the state recycling program. The company gets a small amount for doing the paperwork.
So the tire shop charges me $5.00 per tire. The tires are sent to a recycler who probably pays the tire shop by the pound as if they were raw materials. The recycler processes the tires into whatever and sells to whomever. Everyone wins with the exception of the consumer that bought new tires.

And for the record, scrap tires may be disposed of in an active, permitted landfill if the tires have been split, quartered, or shredded.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:07 PM   #70

If you really want to purchase [new to you]?... or, sell [your] used tires??

Craigslist! <> Caveat Emptor!!

Tags
tire, tires