Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
What are your Strange RV Happenings and Probable Causes

With all the traveling we did many years pass some things just happen and we dealt with it.

YOUR JOURNEY
Enjoy and maybe you have a experience you can add don't be shy, we won't laugh.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
138 members have read this thread and no one has encountered strange happenings they, MFG's, must be really doing Quality work.
Someone must have something to add not everything has to be serious.

WAITING
Old 10-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #3

This actually happened to.......A friend of mine.

I, I mean he, pulled into Laughlin Nevada to camp for a few days. Upon arrival he emptied and flushed my, sorry, his tanks. He had the water faucet hooked directly to the black tank flush. This made it quick and easy to flush the tank.
Now with the black tank valve closed and the grey open, he was ready to sit back and relax.

It was a hot day requiring all three roof airs running. After about a half hour, I noticed, actually that would be he, noticed, the air condensation running down near the door. In another 5 minutes, the condensation was running like a water fall.

Hmmm.............What ever could be wrong?

Well, returning to the water bay revealed that the waster tap to the black tank flush was still fully open. The water eruption on the roof was from the black tank vent. Oh No! This was like a scene from the movie RV!

I shut the water off and opened the black drain again. Fortunately nobody noticed the blunder. Amazingly, the heads never over flowed, but then again, I never tried to flush one, thankfully.

So, my friend learned a valuable lesson. Not all that drips from the roof is the AC by-product. Never trust an AC unit that has lumpy condensation.

So that's my tale..........Or at least someone I know.

Peter
Old 10-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #4

We have a 2017 Bay Star 3009. On trip to factory for warranty work when parking brake and brake reserve lights came on simultaneously. Pulled over and checked brake temps, brake and power steering fluids, fuses, set and released parking brake. Restarted engine and lights off. Drove few miles and lights back on. Pulled into Ashland Ford, WI. They don't service RVS but took a look anyway. Tech spent couple hours chasing a trouble code but couldn't find a cause. Cleared the code and wished us luck. No problem rest of the day.

Following day both lights back on after driving a few hours. Reached campground and shut engine off to unhook tow. Coach unoccupied with engine off and key removed when brake reserve pump began running. Noticed headlights also still on so went inside to shut them off. When I turned head lights off the pump stopped. Turned them back on and pump started again. Lights off and pump off. Pump cycled few times while driving next day.

Next day while hooking up tow the left turn signal would not work if headlight were on. Called Newmar who transferred me to Ford. Made appt with Ford dealer in Grand Rapid that services RVs. While traveling to that location left tail light stopped working and only the center 4 led on left brake light worked. The parking brake and brake reserve lights continued to come on intermittently.

On the day of the Grand Rapid appt everything worked perfectly. The tech pulled couple of trouble codes, checked fuses and relays, and reprogrammed a couple of modules. Within 15 minutes of driving away most of problems recurred. By then Newmar Customer service notified me they set up appt for Bremen Ford tech to service our coach while it was at the Newmar service center.

While we were checking in with our Newmar tech I mentioned these problems and told him about the Ford service appt. When we got our coach back the first afternoon he told me they discovered left tail light assembly was full of water so he replaced it.

The Ford tech showed next day and could find nothing wrong. He felt all the problems were caused by the water but asked to come back and recheck in a few days before we left.

It's been a week, a few hundred miles and lots of rain but no further problems. Newmar Service is the best.
CLB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #5

We were at a park in Portland OR for a few days. The shower valve developed a leak (a separate story of its own).

I turned off the water at the park outlet and removed the leaky valve leaving the hot and cold supply lines open.

I decided to have lunch before heading to the store to buy a new valve.

Suddenly water comes blasting out of the supply lines flooding the bathroom.

How could this be happening? The water is shut off.

I rushed out to the park outlet and found it wide open.

Don't know who or why but someone wandered by and turned the water back on.

Glad I was there eating lunch and not driving to the store.

I complained to the park but they thought i was nuts.
kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #6

I once had a friend ok everybody will know it was me. I had to winterize my coach this was not a Newmar, they put the antifreeze tank mid way in the last bay. I had climbed into the bay with the door open but as soon as I started to locate the tank the wind closed the door. Boy was it dark in there. I didn’t have the bay lights on, no flashlight and no phone. The only thing I had was a screwdriver, square head. I finally took the plastic cover off and fumbled around till I was able to unlatch it. I now make sure if I go in a bay I have my phone thus a flashlight. Another bay opened and the bay light on. Just be carfull things happen.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #7

Well...pretty sure we have a ghost in ours. Which is what I would qualify as a probable cause to the strange things happening. When you are working on something or using something you can sit it in the middle of the counter or someplace in the open and it will be gone. And then it will just reappear. Happens all over the place. Its most common with tape measures. Then when the air outside is still and DH is in bed next to me while I'm sitting there watching TV it feels and sounds like someone is moving around up front. Ive even swore I heard him get up and go out fishing early in the morning to find he is still right there.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:58 PM   #8

I have heard of some other poor pilgrim who forgot the black tank flush water was still running to put some water in the tank after draining.. .
Old 10-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is one that was just posted and the mystery is still pending, can you guess what the answer might be.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3868279]Here is one that was [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/strange-day-364960.html#post3866143
just posted[/URL][/B] and the mystery is still pending, can you guess what the answer might be.
Yeah the service techs jamming to their tunes.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #11

Added a string of LED lights high up front on the back of the overhead cabinet. Wired a dimmer switch taking power from the front Aux 12 volt jack. When I turn the lights on and rotate the dimmer switch open, the steps retract!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #12

TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #13

Funny. Just before I read this thread, I posted a new thread about something strange that's happening with my RV right now. Here's a copy of that separate thread:

STRANGE "POPPING" NOISE FROM UNDERNEATH COACH

2015 Dutch Star 4369

Every so often, usually when it's sunny (is that a clue?), we hear strange popping noises from underneath the coach. They seem to be random, but once they start they might continue off and on for a couple of hours or so.

Imagine that you're sitting in your coach with the doors closed and hear a distant car backfiring. It vibrates a little bit in your coach. This is what we hear, but when I get down beside the rig and listen, it seems to be coming from somewhere beneath (maybe slightly behind) the front tires and towards - or AT - the bottom of the coach. I've always heard it, but never see anything. Sometimes it's loud, sometimes it's quiet.

Am I going crazy? I keep wondering if something is expanding and contracting. Just not sure. It's happened several times in the past; performance is not affected and everything drives and handles well.

Anyone else ever experience this?
Old 10-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #14

Park brake applied while on the highway

About ten years ago (previous coach) we were on I70 east heading for a two week visit to DC. We were doing about 65 mph & the park/emergency brake mysteriously applied. We slowed to about 45 mph immediately and I quickly released it. Hilarity did not ensue. Certainly the emergency brake was compromised so I chocked the wheels at every stop after that. The brakes are hydro so the emergency brake was a mechanical "clamp" on the shaft but otherwise had the same yellow push/pull applicator from the drivers seat. Only explanation was the linkage below had loosened and allowed the brake to apply. I still carry chocks in my emergency box.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote