Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2020, 07:33 AM   #15

Years ago I bought a Makita 9227C Electronic Sander-Polisher 7". Not cheap but one of those tools that you buy for life. I actually have 2 of them. One stays on our 5er in the US. The other in Bermuda & is now over 30 years old having done much tougher work polishing boats than any RV.
Triangle Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2020, 07:35 AM   #16

Thinking may be happy with the G-9 Griots as not sure about the long throw yet?
Have bought several things from Chemical Guys also but like the 1st time buyer discounts from others..
Old 05-29-2020, 07:37 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
What does "long throw" actually mean ?

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:03 AM   #18

I think it means it has a larger "orbit".

From the Griots website:

"It should be noted that long-throw polishers are not ideally suited for application of waxes and sealants. Their large throw tends to cure the wax unevenly with the exception of our BOSS™ Finishing Sealant whose formula is designed to comply with the heat cycling of long-throw orbits. The G8 or G9 are our most suitable tools for wax application. Also, the G21, when converted to a 5" backing plate and fitted with a BOSS Microfiber Fast Cutting Pad is our most aggressive paint correcting combination."
Old 05-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Which model number?

7424XP I bought it about 6 years ago
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:02 AM   #20

You should also read up on the microfiber towels. There is a special way to wash and dry them. If done wrong, you can ruin them and that will lead to scratches.
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have four different type of buffers when I had my show cars. The DA is the least learn curve and does a good job doing light correction. I will warn you if you have even touch of arthritis in your hands you won't enjoy using any buffer. After about 30 minutes my had get so bad that I can't even hold the buffer.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:13 PM   #22

I also use Griots orbital buffer, it’s great and a lot more forgiving then say a Flex

Zzotte
Old 05-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #23

Griot's

I went with the Griot's G21 BOSS. Bought multiple sponge pads to go with the right product for the different jobs. They advertise that you cannot damage your paint with one. I am pretty happy with it.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl II View Post
They advertise that you cannot damage your paint with one. I am pretty happy with it.
That indeed is the trade-off. A lower-powered machine won't damage your paint, and so it's great for waxing and polishing. But if you need to remove material - if you need to get into actual abrasive action - you'll be at it a long time.

For about 85% of users, the lower-powered option is the correct choice.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin View Post
You should also read up on the microfiber towels. There is a special way to wash and dry them. If done wrong, you can ruin them and that will lead to scratches.
Thanks I did not know until started this thread about the quality of MFTs...So how do u wash and dry?
Old 05-31-2020, 12:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
That indeed is the trade-off. A lower-powered machine won't damage your paint, and so it's great for waxing and polishing. But if you need to remove material - if you need to get into actual abrasive action - you'll be at it a long time.

For about 85% of users, the lower-powered option is the correct choice.
I used it with the McGuire's Gelcoat restorer on our previous rig and it did its job. I never could have done it by hand.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:33 AM   #27

Microfiber care came up, and I’ll add a few thoughts.

There are microfiber cleaners, I’ve never used them.
I wash all microfiber separate from all other laundry. Use only liquid detergent so you don’t get residual granular particles in the towels that will scratch.
No fabric softeners in the washer, nor softener sheets in the dryer.
On our HE machine, I use “deep water” setting and hot water.
If a towel gets “real dirty” for some reason, I prewash it in a sink.

For any sort of towels you use, microfiber or otherwise:

Towels never touch the ground. If they do, it’s at least done for the day, and in any case you need to thoroughly inspect it before you use it again. Some times they end up in the “nasty job pile” and never see a painted surfaces again.

In fact, it’s pretty much second nature for me to inspect every towel I use, every time I use one for washing / drying / polish / “waxing”.

Completely remove any labels, they can seriously scratch the paint surface. Completely means the entire label is removed, stitching and all. Sometimes it’s just easier to cut off the entire corner or edge of the towel and be done with it. Never try to just cut off the label, because that little piece left can scratch the paint like a razor blade.

Towels are a tool of detailing and have specific uses, just like those in your tool box. Drying towels are for drying, wax removal towels are for wax / sealants, polish removal towels are for polish, etc. Towels you use on your wheels / wheel wells, etc. never touch anything else, ever.

That’s it for now, and I think I’m forgetting something, but I’m just finishing my first cup of coffee.....

That microfiber shelf is full front to back and I have another bin on the coach ; the bin on the floor are the the “liquid” products that live on the coach. And yes, I can tell you what each color towel is used for .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7F994501-9685-4863-B2A4-FACA6B8104AF.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	287763  
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:49 AM   #28

When I was in the market for a DA polisher I got lucky and found a Flex DA on CList and picked up for about 1/2$. As far as I know Flex is the only one that has a positive drive on both rotation and oscillation. Reviews were very positive and while I haven't had the need to serious correction it does the job very well on light cutting & swirl removal.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote