Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #1

I'm sure I'll think of things after having the Ventana for a while, but what are some must-haves that I should get the dealer to install?

From my research, something to make filling the inner rear tires is a biggie. Some people suggest extenders and others suggest something that equalizes the pressure between the 2 tires on each side.

Along those lines, a tire pressure monitoring system sounds like a good idea. I'd like one that can also monitor my open car trailer tires. What do you folks suggest?

Anything else?
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #2

I'm sure I'll think of things after having the Ventana for a while, but what are some must-haves that I should get the dealer to install?

From my research, something to make filling the inner rear tires is a biggie. Some people suggest extenders and others suggest something that equalizes the pressure between the 2 tires on each side.

Along those lines, a tire pressure monitoring system sounds like a good idea. I'd like one that can also monitor my open car trailer tires. What do you folks suggest?

Anything else?
Old 04-11-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">From my research, something to make filling the inner rear tires is a biggie. Some people suggest extenders and others suggest something that equalizes the pressure between the 2 tires on each side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Filling the inner dual may not be an issue as my rig has the inner tire valve stems in a convenient location.

Many folks have reported problems with dual equalizers. I have not seen a need for them.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
2008 Ventana had Aluminum wheels with solid valve extenders installed on inside duels, so would think 2009 will come that way also.
Some dealer adds to consider:
1. Solar panels & charge controller if you plan to dry camp.
2. Air hose and fittings so you can air up your tires with coach air system.
3. Windshield/drivers compartment sun screens.
4. Wiring for your toad, 7 pin to 4 pin flat adapter, toad braking systems.
5. 50Amp to 30Amp power cord adapters, some people carry a 30' 50Amp to 30Amp adapter cord.
6. Shore power surge protector, (built in or portable).

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:12 AM   #5

I'm glad to hear that filling the rears isn't too bad. I'm still interested in a TPM system, though.

Can you give some details on the fittings for using the coach air system?

I'm getting the electric sunvisors as a factory option. Is that the same, or is this something for blocking the entire windshield area? Doesn't it come with something to do that?

The adapters and power surge protectors are on my list. Can you suggest a good built-in one?

I'm not sure about the toad part yet. I don't know if any of my trips this year will require one, but I will at some point. The pin adapter is something I already have.

I'm not sure which vehicle I'd use as a toad. My 06 Ram 2500 Mega Cab would work since it can truly be put in neutral. I'm not sure about my Pacifica (AWD) or Magnum R/T (RWD).

Thank you very much for the help!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I have and recommend the Progressive Ind. unit.

Many folks have this one and it's one of the best. One advantage is the display in the rig so you can see what's going on without going outside.

You can't go wrong with this unit.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Have no experience with TPM or similar system so have no comment.
Air System: There is a hose connection in your generator area that taps into your coach air system, a short hose can be plugged into it then the other end can be routed to you electrical bay/compartment and permanently mounted much like the high line coaches. Therefore you have a permanent connection in this bay for easy access. Depending on your wheel base an adequate length of portable hose with tire fill adapter can be carried to air up coach/bike tires rather than packing an air compressor. Also saves room in storage areas.
Sunscreens: What you have installed will work but does not totally cover your windows, both side and front. If parked for any period of time sunscreens are nice because they cover the windows completely, block most of the UV's, during the day allow you to see out without letting people see in, and offer some insulation from the outside heat or cold.

Surge Protectors: Agree with Dirk on
Progressive industries models, prior to ordering a built in model be sure there is sufficient room in your transfer switch/power cord area to have a permanent mounted unit installed. I did not have room in mine therefore have the portable model that is connected to campground box.

Another thing you might consider with a 4 slide out configuration is a drop down sun screen that attaches to you main awning tube and hangs down towards the ground, especially if you have the automatic awning option. A common complaint is that the automatic awning arms are not adjustable so awning cannot be lowered to block the late day sun. Also the slide that extends into the main awning area does not allow a manual awning to be lowered enough to block the late day sun. Drop down sunshade will give you that protection from the late day sun keeping your coach cooler in hot weather. Below is an example, many different types are available. (Example Below)
Patio Awning

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Old 04-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Oops the link to the sunscreen photo didn't work so here the second try:

Hope this works. Awning
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Old 04-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
I have and recommend the Progressive Ind. unit.

Many folks have this one and it's one of the best. One advantage is the display in the rig so you can see what's going on without going outside.

You can't go wrong with this unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That looks good.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spikester:
Oops the link to the sunscreen photo didn't work so here the second try:

Hope this works. Awning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! These are things I never would have considered.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #11

A Blue Ox towbar. Link

Search the internet and you can find one at a better price than you would get from a dealer. I did and it was sent from the factory.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #12

A supply of light bulbs.

Sewer hoses and connectors. Disposable gloves for dealing with the sewer hose.

White water hose for fresh waster.

Water Pressure regulator.

Water filter if not one in your coach.

Maybe a ladder

Trailer Life on CD

Cleaning products.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spikester:
Air System: There is a hose connection in your generator area that taps into your coach air system, a short hose can be plugged into it then the other end can be routed to you electrical bay/compartment and permanently mounted much like the high line coaches. Therefore you have a permanent connection in this bay for easy access. Depending on your wheel base an adequate length of portable hose with tire fill adapter can be carried to air up coach/bike tires rather than packing an air compressor. Also saves room in storage areas.
Spike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In additon Newmar provides an adapter to connect to the existing air line, it is usually tie wrapped hanging loose near the air line near the generator. With a hole cut thru the electrical bay and cable hose you are all set.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #14

Does anyone have pictures of the air hose?