Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2022, 06:21 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What do you do first, level or slides?

A friend has a 2108 Bay Star. Newmar says open slides then level and that’s what the have always done but they have had slide mechanism issues multiple times. It sure seems that leveling first would help minimize stress on slide movement.
What do you do?
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2022, 06:26 PM   #2

Make a drink. Then level, then slides. Why ? I like drinking. Seriously I have seen the way slides react when not level and to me it just makes sense to not put additional stress on those mechanisms. A little out of level, probably ok.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As you can see in my signature, I have a Holiday Rambler Admiral and per the owners manual instructions : deploy slides and then level. But each manufacturer is different. Check your owners manual!
Old 09-30-2022, 06:43 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Yes, the short answer is for Newmar to move slides, then level.

There can be more to it than that, but that’s the basics….now Baystar is a gas rig, and doesn’t have air bags….

What issues have they had? It’s a wise idea to have either shore power or generator going before moving the slides, you want battery voltage in float or higher to minimize amps drawn by the motors.

If they haven’t ever been back to the factory service center, it might be a wise idea, as Newmar factory is probably much more skilled at adjusting and diagnosis of slide issues than a dealer is.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:53 PM   #5

You have to consult your owner’s manual. Some coach manufacturers say level first, then deploy the slides. Other say to deploy the slides first, then level.

Follow the procedure specified for YOUR coach.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The manual says slides first then level and they have followed it. The issues they’ve had are either the trans torque bushings and Newmar has increased the torque from the manufacturers spec. Of 120 ft/lbs to 165. Now the bushing on the bed slide has failed. I’d be interested to understand why they would want slides deployed prior to leveling. Seems like that would put a lot more stress on the drivetrain and potentially make the bushing slip and therefore the need for increase torque
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:35 PM   #7

We own a 2018 Bay Star and I can confirm that Newmar is proud of their build; the manual states slides out first, then level (or come off level first to the ground, then bring in the slides). I tend to forget and level first, then put out slides. But I also do a check of slide motor bolts every six months and also have witness marks on the bolts. In 4.5 years of full-timing I haven't had any problems.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What do you do first, level or slides?

Here are Newmar’s instructions for all coaches since 2015. Plug in, review edge gaps, slides out, jacks down. If the slide gaps are not adequate they still recommend leveling and then reviewing the gaps again. Mind the gaps!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3556.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	607.5 KB
ID:	377686
Old 10-01-2022, 01:29 AM   #9

We previously owned a ‘18 MA 4047. This is my experience and obviously many have had a different then mine.

For the first year we always followed the manual (check gap, deploy slides then level) and had many issues (binding, paint scraping off window trim, etc.) with the FWS. The only time we wouldn’t have trouble was if the site was perfectly level.

After one of the many issues I had with the FWS, a dealer tech told me the manual is wrong and to always level then deploy slides. I called Newmar tech help and explained the issues and what the dealer tech told me. The individual I talked to at Newmar said the manual is wrong and to always level then deploy slides.

Since then we’ve ALWAYS levelled then deployed for the remainder of the time we owned the ‘18 and now the ‘22 and have never had an issue since.
SUNYDAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:39 AM   #10

What Macnut posted is correct for both gas and diesel units, especially for full wall slides. The net for Newmar motor homes is to check the reveal described in the above post. Regardless of sequence used, before pushing the extend slide button, get out of the MH and check the reveal. Much of the time the reveal will be best BEFORE leveling so you can extend the slides. Many times leveling will cause the reveal to deteriorate making slide deployment iffy.

While what other motor home brands say to do is interesting, not much value.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:44 AM   #11

A letter from Newmar. Old but relevant.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Full Slide Letter.pdf (301.4 KB, 38 views)

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:30 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO in most RV,s and within general use standards .. you pull into a graveled or cleared camp side, a bit up or down or slight til.. in those 90% of times the slides can work fine and then a slight level of raise a few inches here and therem as on all wheels things are fair,,
BUT then we have where you pull ing or back into a spot that twists you as the entrance door sticks and barely opens.. DUH comonsense, do not try slides until you move or make adjustments to level...REGARLDESS what the good book says..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:03 AM   #13

My owner's manual says to level first and then open the slide-outs. The only answer to the question, I would suggest, is to go by the owner's manual or manufacturer's guidelines.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:58 AM   #14

Do you level or put out slides first.

First, like any other normal operation of an RV, follow your Operation Manual for the correct process. For leveling and or putting out the slides, there is no one method that works for all brands or even all models.

We are on our third Class A and have owned coaches that do it differently. Our current coach requires leveling first and then putting out the slides (we have 3 slides in our coach).

The more experience you have in doing the process the more natural it will come. Finding as level a spot to begin with can make things easier all around.

Stay safe, Stay well.

Dick and Sandy near Buffalo, NY
2015 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38DB
2000 Ford Explorer Toad
Kash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide