Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #1

As most of you know the weather is changing and me being in California I have never had to winterize... Well it's pay back time it is going to be in the 20's later this week and I am wondering if I can plug my MH in to the house and turn on the heater to say 50 Degrees and keep things semi warm... We will be using the MH this weekend and I a not worried about when we are using it. Just while it's sitting in front of my house for the next 4 days........

Should I turn on the switch in the Equip. Bay?

Thanks Lee
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #2

As most of you know the weather is changing and me being in California I have never had to winterize... Well it's pay back time it is going to be in the 20's later this week and I am wondering if I can plug my MH in to the house and turn on the heater to say 50 Degrees and keep things semi warm... We will be using the MH this weekend and I a not worried about when we are using it. Just while it's sitting in front of my house for the next 4 days........

Should I turn on the switch in the Equip. Bay?

Thanks Lee
Old 01-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #3

The basement located blower switch controls a thermostat driven fan to warm the basement that is reliant on the furnace. If the switch is on, it will blow heat into the basement whenever the furnace is running. So, you have to make sure the furnace is on and set for 45 degrees or so to prevent freezing anything in the basement, like the water in the pipes.
Actually it works very well.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #4

Thanks Lug.... This will work for a Temporary Solution. I guess I am going to have to find out to winterize... My problem is that we try to use our MH at least once a month and winterixing seems like it is going to be alot of work... I know it will be less work then repairing frozen pipes and/or tanks....
Old 01-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The switch also turns on a 12v fan mounted in the foil tube coming from furnace and will cycle with furnace as it goes on and off.
As long as you leave furnace on and high enough your will not have to winterize.
Have been in three day snow storm and everything was as warm as home.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #6

OK great it sounds like I am on the right track... Now I just hope and pray that I don't run out of propane......

Thank you both......Lee
Old 01-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #7

Where is the blower switch usually located??? I don;t know if I have one or not.
tsisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
tsisco, the switch will be on your panel left side, where your water hose gets connected. Mine is white and I believe its marked BLOWER FAN.
If you do not have one you can install a 12vdc fan in the foil tube feeding into your tank area I do not know if you can get it to cycle on and off with furnace. The furnace must have 12v feeding from control board to operate my fan thru switch. If you can find specs for that 12v feed from control board of heater, you will have same option I have, its all part of a winter pkg option.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #9

Having been in the cold Panhandle of Texas for the past several months, I have also put a small ceramic heater in the bay with all of the water stuff and I have put a heat tape on my water line and faucet. It has been good for down to -4 degrees. Burrrrr.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lee,

Don't be spooked by winterizing. It is quite simple. I winterize my MACA at least twice a month. I keep it in Maryland during the winter and use it as a satilite office. It generally takes me less than an hour to do a HEAVY winterizing. Here is what I do.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Light winterizing. Expected freezing at night but not during the day.

<LI>Get a hose adapter that will allow you to use a small compressor hooked to your water inlet.

<LI>Shut off and disconnect the water hose. Open the two low point drains on the right side of the water closet.

<LI>Walk around to the hot water heater (make sure it is off) set the bypass valves and open the drain at the bottom of the heater. Either open the pressure valve at the top of the tank or a hot water faucet in the coach.

<LI>Hook up an air compressor to the adapter and turn it on. You will hear the air coming from the drains. Close them, go into the coach and start with the sink and water dispenser. Open the tap to cold let it spit until it is blowing air (about a minute) set the tap to hot and repeat. Do the same with the lavatory and shower. Do the head (toilet) last.

<LI>Make sure the drains on the fresh water tank are open.

<LI>Pour about a half cup of RV anti-freeze in the "P" traps.[/list]
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Heavy or long term winterizing.

<LI>Do the above plus;
Put a winterizing kit on the Fresh Water pump. Put the tube in the jug of RV winterizer and turn on the pump. Open each of the faucets and run until it runs pink.
<LI>Disconnect the icemaker and follow the manufacturers instructions for winterizing. This is important, it will freeze, break and run and incredible amount of water when you hook it back up.
<LI>While it probably isn't necessary, I will put a small ceramic heater in the sewer compartment set to the lowest setting.[/list]
Been doing this for 3 years with no problem. Have fun on your trip :-)

Charlie
Old 01-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Charlie, reminds me of many of the Feburary trips to Florida we use to make, load up the coach put on the heat than have to do the reverse on the way back.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #12

You might also put a 100 watt light bulb in the water bay if you are worried about propane or a furnace failure. When I set mine for a few days between trips and did not want to winterize - I had a ceramic heater as backup in the coach and also a light bulb in the bay. I also left the cabinets open to be sure to get good heat to the underneath pipes. I never have had a problem yet.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #13

Woo Hoo thanks to everyone..... I had problems but with everyones help we made it...... Plus I learned alot about winterizing.......

Thanks again Lee
Old 01-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #14

Thanks to everyone for your help regarding the heater blower in the wet bay.

I found that and have it on in addition to the 12v light for added protection. All seems to be well with the coach!

However, the water pipe going in the house was not so lucky.

After discovering it broke yesterday my wife paged me and I returned to find a mess. So now the water is off and I will have to wait to fix it until wed or thur.

Living in the mountains does have a negative side.

Ed

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote