Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #1

What Glue for Loose Trim

We have a loose piece of half inch wood trim on the bottom wall of our large slide-out. It was originally tacked in place with small staple and is still in place on the inside end.

What would be the best glue to hold this piece in place?

Thanks,

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on what you are gluing it to, and how heavy it is.
Wood, vinyl, aluminum ?
The new super glue gels are very good.
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #3

It is a strip of half inch wood trim attached to the wall board.

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #4

If the wall board is covered with wallpaper, then you will be gluing to the paper. Sounds like the trim was pneumatically stapled and something, possibly contact with the floor when the slide moves, caused the trim to pull away (just guessing since we cannot see where the trim is located and depend on your description.)

Point being, find out why the trim pulled away first and correct the cause if there is one. Then, decide on the method of reattachment knowing that glue is bonding only to the immediate surface that it contacts.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #5

If you have an air compressor (invaluable tool), go to Harbor Freight and get a cheap air staple / finish nailer. That's the right way to fix. Small very thin finish nails so as not to split the small wood. Put a spot of wood putty of same color over the hole. done.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
We have a loose piece of half inch wood trim on the bottom wall of our large slide-out. It was originally tacked in place with small staple and is still in place on the inside end.

What would be the best glue to hold this piece in place?

Thanks,

Rex
I find that GE Clear silicone makes an amazing adhesive.

clean with alcohol, put a small line of silicone, press in place wipe off any excess which you should not have if you don't use too much.

A piece of masking tape to hold it while the silicone dries may be needed for heavier items.

Silicone stays flexible which is advantageous, if you kick it, it won't pop off like harder glues

Ted.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post
I find that GE Clear silicone makes an amazing adhesive.

clean with alcohol, put a small line of silicone, press in place wipe off any excess which you should not have if you don't use too much.

A piece of masking tape to hold it while the silicone dries may be needed for heavier items.

Silicone stays flexible which is advantageous, if you kick it, it won't pop off like harder glues

Ted.
Actually silicone is a pretty poor adhesive. What you have going for you in cases like this with trim pieces is there is a lot of surface area for the weight being held. Silicone is a great sealant and gasket material but a mediocre adhesive compared to others.

If its a piece you might ever want to remove its not too difficult as a thin blade like putty knife or sharp knife will cut through it.
Then the problem... you will likely need to find another way to attach it as silicone won't stick to anything... even itself and trying to remove it from a large area won't be fun. You will likely end up having to nail it back in place.., so why not do that to start?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I just did a repair yesterday. We developed a squeak while driving and my wife narrowed it down to a short piece of trim that covers the area where the tile, to the right of the sink, meets the underside of the cabinet. There is a 12" and 6" piece of 1" trim that make a right angle. The 6" was installed forcing the 12" piece away from the wall where they met. I removed the 6" piece, pulled the staples out from the back side and used RTV silicone to reinstall the short piece. The squeak was coming from the staples rubbing against the tile. I filled the gap between the tile and cabinet with the silicone, ran a bead on the back of the 6" trim and stuck it up there. It's solid.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Search on Amazon for Barge Cement. Use it as instructed on the label. I've been using Barge since about 1976, and it's GREAT stuff. When trim pieces, countertop laminate, whatever comes loose in my trailer, I use Barge. It is far stronger than silicone, in fact I do use silicone for some things, but because I want it to be removable if it needs to be removed, or because I need something very flexible.