Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #1

What is a "Scissor Slide" in BSS 2813+

We are considering a BSS 2813. I notice this from the 2019 & 2020 online brochure:

"Automatic Mechanical Lock Arms on Slideout Rooms-Scissor Style on 2813, 2905 and 3112 Only".
I did a search for "Scissor" in the this forum and no hits referring to slides, and googled "scissor rv slide" and no hits, ex the AccuSlide which is a cable slide.
Coming from Schwintec slides--I want nothing to do with new style, unproven slides!
Can someone please explain what and how these work, and are they as good mechanically as the tried and last forever style in the higher end models? Do these work similar to scissor jacks, commonly found on travel trailers.

I looked under the bedroom slide on a 2019 2813 and saw nothing unusual except for the 5" wide rubber belt that was pretty slack when extended. Is that used to retract it?
tia
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #2

i'm pretty sure they are referring to the slide locks. on my baystar with a full wall slide the slide locks "Scissor" up to lock and down to unlock. they are mechanical, and the one behind the drivers seat is easy to get to but the one in the back is hidden in a cubbyhole inside the pantry. if you forget this while deploying the slide, you can cause serious damage. Automatic locks sound like a good idea. However, its one more gizmo that can break down the road.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Yep, they are slide locks. I have them on my 2019 Ventana (first year they installed them) and they work fine. Much better than the old manual locks. You do need to make sure they a properly adjusted though. Mine were a little tight at pickup and the tech adjusted them.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. So this is only for locking the slide in the retracted position? So Newmar is using this instead of a "brake" in the motor to keep the slide in then?
Is the slide mechanism the "regular"-- a rectangular tube sliding inside a larger one?

What is, what looked like, a 5" wide rubber belt that goes from the chassis to the outside of the slide frame, under the slide when open? I also saw what looked like a horizontal metal scissor like channel which housed the wires for the slide under there too.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #5

They have changed the design of the slide locks on the Bay Star line for 2020. They now have both an upper and a lower slide lock with a connecting arm between them. They have some sort of mechanism that automatically releases the locks as the slide begins to move out and locks the slide as it is retracted.

I wasn't able to get a good look at how they work while at the factory but did notice the difference while on the tour and asked the tour guide about it.

There were no Canyon Stars being built while I was on the tour but I suspect the CS slide lock design is likely the same as I saw on the 2020 BS.

They may have used this design on other lines in previous years (I don't know) but the design is new in 2020 for the gas lineup.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #6

Just a followup---I asked CS about the lock arms--this is the reply:
"The 2020 Bay Star Sport 2813 will not have automatic mechanical lock arms. They will be scissor style which are considered manual lock."

I don't know why they have this mistake in the brochure--for both the 2019 and 2020 BSS.

Per the reply by hohenwald48, the BS is getting the new locks--but not the BSS.

They also have a comment about Theater Seats, ipo the sofa, for the 2813--which is also not available. you'd think they would have a proofreader.

Tags
slide