Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #1

What is essential

HI

We are shopping to buy a used Newmar MA or Essex between 2003 to 2005 (40 to 45 feet). We want a RV with 4 slide-out, 4door fridge, a king size bed and a slide trays.Soon we are become a fulltimer and we plan to visit all Canada and USA then many mileage. We see many description of many Vr on the web and we dont no what is very important or essential to make our choice on a VR. Please help us , what do you think is important or essential in the MH or what do you have and you like so much and you not to do without. I hope my thread is clear Thanks for youre answer

Robert & Danielle
Dream Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Robert & Danielle,
With an MA or Essex, you'll get all the whistles and bells. Focus on the floor plan. Based on your time together, what floor plan works best. Only after being on the road a while, will you determine an aftermarket device or two that will improve your quality of RVing.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

As Gary says Floorplan, floorplan...floorplan. Anything missing from a MA or Essex can be added.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #4

A friend of ours has a 2005 Essex for sale. floor plan is 4502, Mystic Sable exterior. If you're interested send me a private reply.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:14 AM   #5

Thank's to try to help me,

I think i don't explain well what i want. Idon't say enough word in english to explain very well what i want (im better in french). Im try again. We know the Newmar co make a great coach with nice finishing. I give you some example what im like to say.

1-If you have to choose between a 40 feet with 4 slides or 43 feet with 3 slides what is your choice and why.

2-Wrap around both dining or table with 4 chairs?

3-A/C and heating roof ducted or basement ducted?

4- 4 doors fridge or 2 doors with norcold freezer in the basement?

5-washer/dryer separately or combo?

6-2 sofa or 1 with 2 leather chairs?

7- Diamond shield in front is essential or not?

etc.............................

Thank's again for your help

Robert & Danielle
Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 AM   #6

IMO, on the Essex, a secondary control panel in the bedroom, an in-motion satellite TV antenna, all tile (floor), w/d, dishwasher, sliding basement trays, and trip tek would be on my list.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:22 AM   #7

Hi John

Thanks for your offer but my wife only retired only in 20 months we are not ready to buy now.

Thanks

Robert
Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
options

I understand what you are asking.
The floorplan answers usually depend on how you will use the RV.

If you will have overnight visitors, then sofas (sleeper or jacknife) may be better than chairs.

If you will have lots of visitors for meals or card games, then free standing dinette chairs may be better than a booth dinette.

I like my separate washer and dryer. There are some people that like them all in one unit.

If you will be outside a lot, it would be nice to have a ref in the outside bay. You don't have to go inside for drinks and you don't need to keep a cooler filled with ice.

If you want to carry a lot of frozen food, it would be nice to have an extra freezer in the outside bay. I don't know if you can have both a ref and a freezer.

When we were shopping, I looked at a lot of kitchens and how much storage I would have for pantry items (boxes, cans, etc.) and how much I would have for pots,pans,utensils. My husband looked at how his outside storage would be used. He likes passthru basement storage.

We also decided to give up some storage in the kitchen and have an oven installed. The convection/microwave is nice but I still like using my oven.

The number of slides might depend on how big the slides are. Maybe 1 of 3 slides is a full wall instead of 4 smaller slides.

There is also the bath layout to consider. We like to call ours a "split bath". Shower and sink on one side of the hallway. Toilet and sink on other side of same hallway. Then, more than one person can be getting ready at the same time. Stand in the bath area and think about your daily routines.

For any RV that we considered, we went inside and closed the door. Then, look around and see if you could survive inside on a rainy day. Not all of your RV days will be bright and sunny. Sometimes, you have to be comfortable being totally inside.

There are engines to think about. And turning radius to think about. And how much can the RV safely tow.

So many decisions. But looking is part of the fun !

Enjoy the search.
KSDP_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:42 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
#1 - The floorplan you like will determine this. Different people like different layouts. Choose the one which fits your desires. 43 ft. will possibly have more towing capacity depending on the chassis, it will definetly have more load capacity. There is so little difference in 40 and 43 that manuverability is virtually the same.

#2 - This also depends on your lifestyle and wants. If you plan to travel with grandchildren, children, or several others the booth will convert to another bed. The booth benches also have storage under them. The dinette seems to provide a more open and airy space, It can also be removed in a few minutes to provide extra space.

#3 - I can't give you any feedback on a basement A/C, but it seems that roof air would be easier to access for repairs, service, or replacement. I've had no problems with roof air on my last 3 rv's.

#4 - I have had both 2 and 4 door refrigerators. Currently I have a 4 door with built in ice maker and water in the door. I prefer this unit to the 2 doors I have had in the past. I also have a basement refrig./freezer, this is the first time I have had one and I will not be without it again. I believe if I were to order new that a residential frig. would be my next choice. I have a Waeco in the basement rather than the Norcold, I prefer it to the norcold. Waeco is also being marketed as dometic now. The basement unit is a good place to store large bulky drink containers or drinks of any type so just a few are taking space upstairs. Also for bulk frozen goods rather than drinks.

#5 - I prefer the 2 piece washer and dryer. It seems to handle slightly larger loads and work faster than the all in one units. Also my washer/dryer set are built by Maytag.

#6 - Again this depends on your preference and lifestyle. If you travel with others the sofa's usually convert into beds. If not the chairs can be positioned to make TV viewing and visiting more comfortable and pleasant.

#7 - Diamond Shield is not essential. You will find a wide variety of opinions on it. Some love it while some hate it. It will require upkeep and without it will deteriorate within a few years. Upon removal for replacement or to do away with it plan on some paint work. It will usually take some paint with it when pulling it off. It does help prevent any rock dings to the paint, and effects the appearance of the coach less than the black bras or plexiglass shields.

Most of the items you are asking about are a personal decision, except for maybe the refridgerator. I prefer the most cu. ft. I can have with RV refridgerators as they are all small when compared with residential units, hence my having the basemant unit.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #10

Thank you KSDP_PA and Parkerrs.

Thank you we are really appreciate when you take your time to share your expérience . Your opinion and your recommandation help us so much to make a better choice when we buy our MH.

Thanks again

Robert & Danielle