Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
What other stuff do I need?

Ok, so I plan on going to the Tampa show while waiting for delivery thought it might be a good time to look at accessories.

I don't think it comes with a surge protector or EMS so I'll look at those.

My toad needs a face plate only made by Roadmaster, (I guess I'll get their tow bar because the OX has issues anyway) it is only a 2400lb car so I don't need brakes, but do need stop/turn & tail lights in a portable config.

I will transfer what I can from our Airstream but with a MH there's more room for toys.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I always told my customers that the huge windshield in the motorhome was a problem for sun visors. I always carry two baseball caps(one for me, one for her) in the motorhome for driving into the sun.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
As for an EMS, I don't think you can beat a Progressive Industries EMS. Progressive Industries
You might beat the price but not the customer service and lifetime warranty.

You do need brakes on the toad. State law might not require it, but Newton's Law does. If you don't believe it, take car out to a flat parking lot and push it as fast as you can get it moving, then run around to the front and try to stop it. Inertia is a powerful thing. What if it breaks away? How will it stop? Look at ReadyBrake for about the simplest set up and hook up system there is. It's not worth it to be without brakes on all wheels when it's time to make an emergency stop. The front end of your RV is pretty expensive to replace, and remember, in the driver's seat, you'd be the first to arrive at the scene of the crash.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
As for an EMS, I don't think you can beat a Progressive Industries EMS. Progressive Industries You might beat the price but not the customer service and lifetime warranty. You do need brakes on the toad. State law might not require it, but Newton's Law does. If you don't believe it, take car out to a flat parking lot and push it as fast as you can get it moving, then run around to the front and try to stop it. Inertia is a powerful thing. What if it breaks away? How will it stop? Look at ReadyBrake for about the simplest set up and hook up system there is. It's not worth it to be without brakes on all wheels when it's time to make an emergency stop. The front end of your RV is pretty expensive to replace, and remember, in the driver's seat, you'd be the first to arrive at the scene of the crash.
I second the need for breaks !! so glad I listened to all the guys on the forum and bought a break system ( Air Force one )
I was on 95 with my MADP last week coming home from a way to short vacation in Florida and a big crash happened right in front of us 6 cars all over the highway all over the place I hit the breaks veered in breakdown lane and stopped on a dime the car to the left of me crashed into all the cars in front
Wife and I said at the same time glad we spent the $$$ on the Air Force one.
Vsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
One of out sponsors carries stuff you will need, RV Upgrades.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
My toad needs a face plate only made by Roadmaster, (I guess I'll get their tow bar because the OX has issues anyway) it is only a 2400lb car so I don't need brakes, but do need stop/turn & tail lights in a portable config.
jimbo2013 … here is my take on having a supplemental brake system. Even if a particular state does not require you to have one, I think I would always want to have one for liability reasons, if nothing else. If you are ever involved in an accident and worst yet, may of caused it … I would not want to be caught without one.

My advice it to get one.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote