Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #1

What to add before moving in?

We have just committed to a 4041 Dutch Star!
We are so excited, leaving the California Bay Area on Wednesday to make the long drive to the dealer. We will be moving up from a Thor ACE 30.1 When we bought the ACE we added a lot to it. We have a list started for the Dutch Star:
1. Lock nuts placed on slide motors
2. 110 Volt receptacle in bedroom (side of bed that doesn't have one)
3. Tyron for front tires
4. Possible sea level sensors (we like them much better than the regular sensors) [only if the dealer is experienced in putting them on
5. EMS surge protector - external or internal?
6. Water Softener - how do you do it? External or Internal? We know we will be in hard water only
7. Extra 110 volt in kitchen (depends on what is there)
8. I think the Dutch Star only has 1 12volt receptacle in Dash -- if so 2 more?

What else would you recommend?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #2
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Great and welcome.

On the dash extra 12vdc with usb added. There are two types newmar installs the 12vdc only and a unit with 12vdc and 2 usb power connectors. Some of your electronics like gps will run on the usb plug. Looks neater and leaves 12vdc plug open.

120vac and 12 vdc in wet bay. This is incase you want to put anything powered in there (i.e. Pump for RO system). Also gives you a driverside 120 outlet.

Tripod satellite system. This puts a sat capable cable in your power bay. Put a 12vdc outlet in there too incase you need a power inserter in the cable.

Just some random ideas.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH View Post
Great and welcome.

On the dash extra 12vdc with usb added. There are two types newmar installs the 12vdc only and a unit with 12vdc and 2 usb power connectors. Some of your electronics like gps will run on the usb plug. Looks neater and leaves 12vdc plug open.

120vac and 12 vdc in wet bay. This is incase you want to put anything powered in there (i.e. Pump for RO system). Also gives you a driverside 120 outlet.

Tripod satellite system. This puts a sat capable cable in your power bay. Put a 12vdc outlet in there too incase you need a power inserter in the cable.

Just some random ideas.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
Thanks, Mark. Great ideas. I have been following your adventures.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #4

I would put the surge protector inside, if possible. They have a tendency to disappear when attached outside
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
I would put the surge protector inside, if possible. They have a tendency to disappear when attached outside
Thanks, buddy110. I have heard that.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As newbies we can not offer suggestion for coach adds. But, I do have one suggestion. During the walk thru video and discuss the entire process for future reference. We did video ours and it has been helpful for us newbies.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome and enjoy your new unit...
Old 09-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What is a sea level sensor?
Old 09-09-2016, 10:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If you are putting a surge protector in, then have you considered a hughes auto transformer for low line conditions. It would be a shame to add the surge then later decide to add the hughes and have to re-do all the power cables... I plan on both.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:13 AM   #10

Congratulations! You have good reason to be excited
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
As newbies we can not offer suggestion for coach adds. But, I do have one suggestion. During the walk thru video and discuss the entire process for future reference. We did video ours and it has been helpful for us newbies.
Thanks, yes I do plan to video. This will be our first diesel and Oasis unit so am sure there will be more information than I can retain. Definitely need a "tape" of it.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
What is a sea level sensor?
Hi, a sea level sensor lets you more accurately know what is in your gray, black and fresh water tanks. Instead of the internal levels that measure in thirds, they are external and measure actual percentages. We have them on our current rig (put on after the others went out) and really like the accuracy provided.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
If you are putting a surge protector in, then have you considered a hughes auto transformer for low line conditions. It would be a shame to add the surge then later decide to add the hughes and have to re-do all the power cables... I plan on both.
Good point. I hadn't even heard of the Hughes auto transformer until recently. Need to look into it some more.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:44 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I saw a unit in service when I was at the factory that had the Autoformer and Surge protector installed. they had everything plugged so each unit could be bypassed if there was a problem. This is the way Service at the factory installs them now and what I am getting done next month when we go pick up our coach at the factory. Hope this helps.

surge on the wall above reel
Click image for larger version

Name:	surge1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	138530

Autoformer to the left of reel

Click image for larger version

Name:	autoform.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	138531