Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2021, 06:37 AM   #1

What to do with my NEW AIRE that has not worked properly since new.

Any advice on how to deal with Newmar about my 2021 3543 New Aire that has had problems since we took delivery on it. The main issue we have is the drivers slide creeps up after it is extended. Numerous tries have been made to fix it but nothing has solved the problem. After being in the shop for over 2 months they decided that the hydraulic cylinder needs to be replaced. It is on factory back order with NO ETA.

Sometimes the slide will stay down after numerous attempts to get it to deploy, other times it will creep up after some time. The issues is that if it creeps up during the night the slide is open to the outdoors and we can accumulate numerous bugs inside the motor home.

So far we have missed a few short trips in MN, but am reluctant to head South with it this winter.

Has Newmar ever extended a customer's warranty for situations where they do not have use of there motorhome?

thanks
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2021, 07:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Any advice on how to deal with Newmar about my 2021 3543 New Aire that has had problems since we took delivery on it. The main issue we have is the drivers slide creeps up after it is extended. Numerous tries have been made to fix it but nothing has solved the problem. After being in the shop for over 2 months they decided that the hydraulic cylinder needs to be replaced. It is on factory back order with NO ETA.

Sometimes the slide will stay down after numerous attempts to get it to deploy, other times it will creep up after some time. The issues is that if it creeps up during the night the slide is open to the outdoors and we can accumulate numerous bugs inside the motor home.

So far we have missed a few short trips in MN, but am reluctant to head South with it this winter.

Has Newmar ever extended a customer's warranty for situations where they do not have use of there motorhome?

thanks
Who has been working on it? Has it been to Nappanee?

I have read on here about instances of Newmar extending the warranty under certain conditions, but they will not commit to it until your existing warranty is expired or very close to it. Best of luck.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had the same issue in our 17 DSDP. It happened at factory pickup and the techs went through a process of bleeding the hydraulic lines by flipping the valves on the rams in the basement and cycle the pump. It appeared to work but the issue returned.

Eventually we had the system calibrated while in the service facility (flat level floor) and no problems since. If you are on a nice flat site there is a calibration routine on the HWH website. Looks like an easy cal if your handy.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #4

Good luck with getting it extended we are just getting our Bay Star back after our delivery on April 29th haven't had it since then missed our 40th Anniversary trip. Not sure what happened to their topnotch quality and customer service but we haven't seen it.
yellow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow73 View Post
Good luck with getting it extended we are just getting our Bay Star back after our delivery on April 29th haven't had it since then missed our 40th Anniversary trip. Not sure what happened to their topnotch quality and customer service but we haven't seen it.
We are expecting delivery of our Bay Star soon and hope not to have issues that consume the warranty period - as everyone does.

Anything specific I should pay close attention to that would not be obvious?
Old 12-03-2021, 08:40 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm sure someone has looked at this, but I found an odd sensor last month when I was installing a water softener. I was in the power cord reel bay and there was one of those black plastic covers (used for slide motors and other items) screwed to the ceiling of the bay, close to the door opening. I had to remove the cover to route some hoses. To my surprise, I found a sensor, a metal probe about the size of my finger inside that box. It was pointed upward. Unfortunately, Newmar used self tapping metal screws to screw the probe and it's bracket into WOOD! It was still in place, but about to fall out.

I did my installation and then tried to relocate this probe where I thought it started out from the factory. I later asked my local Newmar tech what the probe was for. I thought it was some type of large temp sensor by the looks of it. It wasn't, he said it's a sensor that tells the motor when to stop when the FWS is in position. Apparently, if you continue to hold down the FWS switch, it will stop the pump.

So..........I'm still not sure what all it does, but could it be sensing the position of the slide and telling it to move.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:47 AM   #7
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the slide floor is lifted by hydraulics, the only way it can drift up at night is if there is air in the lines.

We had issues near the end of warranty that we reported to Newmar and they took care of several months later when we came back north. We also had a couple issues that were clearly defects, that they took care of after our warranty expired.

We are very happy with the service that we have gotten on our coach. We made a couple trips to Nappanee, and they did an excellent job taking care of our problems. We also had a couple issues (one was a cracked windshield) that our dealer (Midway) squeezed us in so we wouldn't have to cancel a trip.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab00Rat View Post
We are expecting delivery of our Bay Star soon and hope not to have issues that consume the warranty period - as everyone does.

Anything specific I should pay close attention to that would not be obvious?
Lab

For what it’s worth, we took delivery of our 22BSS 3226 in August. Since then, we have driven it 5,200 miles and spent 35 nights in it. Overall, we are more than satisfied with the unit. Yeah there are some issues such as clicking sounds in the water heater, bad door seal on the freezer and a bad strut on one of the cargo doors but the unit itself as manufactured by Newmar is of above average quality for the industry. Assuming you are relatively handy, be prepared to make adjustments and tweaks by yourself so you don’t have to bring in for service for items that don’t require replacement of warranty parts. As you use the unit, and I would use it a lot in the beginning to shake it down - keep a list of items that actually will require the dealership and have them all done at once - as we plan to do with the items I mentioned above. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!
Wacdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacdmc View Post
Lab

For what it’s worth, we took delivery of our 22BSS 3226 in August. Since then, we have driven it 5,200 miles and spent 35 nights in it. Overall, we are more than satisfied with the unit. Yeah there are some issues such as clicking sounds in the water heater, bad door seal on the freezer and a bad strut on one of the cargo doors but the unit itself as manufactured by Newmar is of above average quality for the industry. Assuming you are relatively handy, be prepared to make adjustments and tweaks by yourself so you don’t have to bring in for service for items that don’t require replacement of warranty parts. As you use the unit, and I would use it a lot in the beginning to shake it down - keep a list of items that actually will require the dealership and have them all done at once - as we plan to do with the items I mentioned above. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!
Thanks - will do, and I'll keep a sharp eye out for the little things.
Sounds similar to most new MHs.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #10

Quote:

thanks
Bought a 2018 New Aire and it was nothing but trouble. Warranty claims and after market claims were North of $20,000. Traded it in for a Dutch Star which has been fantastic. To much technology in the small New Aire chasis. My mechanics hated the New Aire.
Charlievette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:01 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
If the problem and it’s repeated return has been documented Newmar will cover. I would take it to Nappanee to ensure it’s fixed.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:16 AM   #12

Quote:

thanks
Yes-- they extended my coverage by the 3 months I requested as that was the time it was in the shop during my first 1/2 year of ownership. If you want, I can send you the emails that documented the request and their response stating they would extend the warranty.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #13

2021 New Aire Problems.

So sorry to hear this. I have owned older Dutch Stars for a number of years with no slide problems at all really a pretty bullet proof system on cone shaped cog wheel and track. Even with a large living room slide. Has always worked great. Our 1997 Dutch Star had the same system with no problems.
Roadyacht1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to tomgauger
Newmar owners, new & used

Quote:

thanks

I urge you guys to look at https://www.nirvc.com/.
They are warranty repair authorized locations for Newmar. (I've never been there, but owners I speak with LOVE NIRV CENTERS.
tomgauger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air