Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
What to expect with 30 amp

I am on my way to Alaska and many of the campgrounds only have 30 amp power available. I have changed the setting in the Energy Management panel to 30 amp for shore power. What can I expect to be able to use? It seems that I can only get one a/c to operate as long as I turn off the electric to the water heater. How do I turn off the block heater, as it is not needed. Is it really affecting anything?

What is the proper setup? Do I have to set the gen-set to 30 amp or can that be left at 50 amp? What other advice can you offer? Of course I can always run the gen-set but not sure how my neighbors would like it?
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #2

Well, your Newmar is a different animal from mine, but my block heater is a wall plug in the storage bay with the electric hookup. I just plug it in when needed, which isn't often.

I can run 2 a/c units, but mine are 13.5k units. I run the water heater on propane, but that's because the electric isn't working right not. I would not run 2 a/c units and heat with electric.

Really, I just use 1 a/c unit at a time when I'm on 30 amps even though I have EMS. I run the front unit during the day and the back unit at night.

I also shut off the a/c when I run the microwave. I guess I could let the EMS handle it, but I end up doing it myself anyway.

I would avoid using the generator unless absolutely necessary out of courtesy. People don't expect neighbors to be running generators when there are electric hookups.

There's also a device that people have mentioned that allows you to combine the 30 amp and 20 amp connections that campsites have available. I wish I could remember what it's called.

The threads I've seen on it bring up some controversial issues. People claiming to be electricians point out that the 30 amp and 20 amp circuits must be independent, so there isn't a problem combining them.

Campgrounds, however, might frown on the extra useage. I would look into it, though.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I believe the previous poster was referring to one of these at Camping World. 50-Amp RV Box Adapter - Item - Camping World or here from PPL RV parts, RV Cheater Box - 50 amps from 30 & 20 or here from Tweetys RV parts, Tweetys.com - RV Parts & Accessories - RV Hitches - Warn Products - Search
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
I could use the device if other outlets were available, but the current campground, Ground Zero in Dawson Creek, only has 30 amp. So that option isn't even available. I just think they have poor power here.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I addition enable the energy management. This for the most part will keep the coach from using no more amperage that what you have set. It will shunt off electrial devices it has control over. You will not be able to turn on the energey management unless the shore power is set on something less than 50 amps. We have used it on several occasions and it has worked well. Have fun.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
i had a different rig then i do now when i went up, 98 DS, but having seen many an RV er pop a 30 amp breaker you are correct on not running air and electric hot water heater at same time...never needed the air in 2008 once got north of fort nelson...on my dutch air the oasis control panel has a block heater on off switch for heating with hot water/coach heating boiler, even though not hooked up on the DA..on my 98 DS there was a plug in electric compartment and switch and can not remember where it on my DA..will look for it... with electric stove on you will draw large number of amps so may not be able to perk coffee, run stove, and fridge at same time..each appliance should list its watts and they can be converted to amps..google for formula, can't remember my basic electric class..and remember that you probably have close to an amp of parasitic load and most electric motors and compressors draw more amps at start up, peak amps, then they do when running..hope this helps..
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your ESSEX should have all the power you need with 30 amps.
Most days temps will be in 80's and maybe 100 in flatlands of Big Delta.
You will not have any humidity its just a dry heat as in the winter its so dry your ear's would fall off if frozen.
People that have been to Alaska in recent years have found even cooler weather in summer months.
Its great country enjoy your stay and take lots of pictures. ENJOY
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #8

No AC has been needed on our trip north to Alaska until yesterday afternoon when we stopped at Liard Hot Springs. Both the prov. park and the overflow lot were full, so we pulled into the Lodge campground, which was powered by a very loud generator. By late afternoon the campground was full.

We chose the end spot on the 30 amp row so our satellite dish would see the satellite over the top of the trees. The end spot worked well for our satellite dish, but bad for power and water pressure.

Our microwave/convection oven drew enough current to cause the pedestal voltage to drop under 105, which caused the Progressive EMS to disconnect from shore power forcing us to run the generator until our baking was completed. At the 30 amp setting the EMS keep disconnecting. At the 20 amp setting, along with shutting most systems down, we were able to run one ac.

Sue
Old 06-22-2010, 07:03 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
found my block heater switch..it in top right front area with ems and such next to tv...if you have to you will have to run gen or you may have to change your life style a little to accommodate the trip...a small price to pay for the greatness of the trip..
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With 30 amps you can generally run TWO big ticket items, plus television

Big ticket: A/C (note just one less you clean them) however in Alaska this should not be a problem even in August. Microwave, Converter if batteries are dead/very low (If bateries full the converter is a minor issue) Block heater, Water heater.

I routinely run 1 A/C and water heater Since I cleaned them last week I can actually run both A/C's but... Nothing else.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #11

We lived on a 2000 watt inverter for most of our trips to Alaska, sometimes up to 15 days at a time. No need for AC, etc.