RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What tools should I carry.

New to RV-ing but not to fixing. Just wondering what tools besides the common wrenches and sockets sets I should be carrying. I bought a 1999 Dutch Star with 66,000 miles on. It was very well maintained. Hopefully won't need to use them but I'm sure I will. Thx

Brad1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2017, 07:57 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
If I were you, Iíd decide what common repairs you are comfortable doing, the YouTube some videos of those repairs happening, and see what tools they use. No sense in carrying tools needed for repairs you arenít capable of doing. I have a simple set of screwdrivers, sockets, wrenches, and pliers and rely on local hardware stores if more than that is needed. Weight is an issue for me so I canít carry my whole tool collection and I am usually not too far away from civilization to find a store selling tools if needed, but that has not yet been needed (knock on wood)

Old 10-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #3

credit card and a sense of humor. A bucket load of patience is always helpful too

As above, sockets of all sizes, screw drivers and pliers. I also had good luck with compressed air cans to remove dirt/bugs etc from furnace ducts. I probably used that as much as any other tool.

I also used a rubber mallet more than I expected.
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1955 View Post
New to RV-ing but not to fixing. Just wondering what tools besides the common wrenches and sockets sets I should be carrying. I bought a 1999 Dutch Star with 66,000 miles on. It was very well maintained. Hopefully won't need to use them but I'm sure I will. Thx
Electrical, Multimeter - 12v test light - fuses - small box/bag of wire connectors - electric drill/screwdriver/impact - Tape - air pressure gauge - filters, oil/fuel/water - Small/Medium/Large channel locks - duck tape - wire - I also keep a creeper and a rolling seat just makes life easier.

At almost 20 years old electrical connections are often the/an issue.

Credit card - and Cell Phone.

With the Above you can fix most things that go wrong in an 18 year old coach. ....

Best of Luck,

ps; Do a search there are thousands of posts on this subject if you really need more info.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #5

Jack, lug wrench, VOM meter, a few screws, nuts and bolts, a bundle of ty-wraps, an assortment of screw drivers, cordless drill along with one of those power bit sets all can be useful.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #6

Take the time to go through your coach stem to stern and identify all fasteners and see if you have the compatible tool. I also like the military way of identifying engineering systems with ID and flow direction. Helps later in diagnosis. While doing this walkthrough, ID and obtain all maintenance parts you may need - critical hoses, belts, clamps, fuses, filters and fluids.
Comprehensive tech manuals.
A bright headlamp.
Hex wrenches.
A set of dental picks.
Knee pads.
One of those three foot grabber things to pick up the nut you dropped down the hole and can't reach.
A good strap wrench.
A good highway flare/reflector emergency kit.
A good first aid kit.
Patience.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Electrical, Multimeter - 12v test light - fuses - small box/bag of wire connectors - electric drill/screwdriver/impact - Tape - air pressure gauge - filters, oil/fuel/water - Small/Medium/Large channel locks - duck tape - wire - I also keep a creeper and a rolling seat just makes life easier.

At almost 20 years old electrical connections are often the/an issue.

Credit card - and Cell Phone.

With the Above you can fix most things that go wrong in an 18 year old coach. ....

Best of Luck,

ps; Do a search there are thousands of posts on this subject if you really need more info.
ON Edit - I always carry a few hose clamps and some hose - might be my coach but have used this often. Wire ties are good.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I probably carry too many tools. I have 5 torque wrenches alone.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #9

Add a torque multiplier.....for lug nuts.....unless you like wait'n for road side help..
2010 Rockwood Sig Ultra lite 5er 8280......'99 Ram 2500, Cummins. 4x4.....Pullrite Superglide.......Use to work in calender factory.....got fired for tak'n a few days off.....RV Mutant 186.....Bob the Builder...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I probably carry too many tools. I have 5 torque wrenches alone.
I can relate to that! I have just about everything mentioned plus an elecrical snake, soldering gun, glues and sealants, plastic scrapers, pop rivet gun, dremel, and tons of nuts, bolts, screws, wire, shrink-wrap, wire tester and on and on.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I carry a simple tool chest to do minor repairs. However I also carry a couple of rolls of duct tape too.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I carry a simple tool chest to do minor repairs. However I also carry a couple of rolls of duct tape too.
I like your plan, Tony! Duct tape for the major repairs; simple tool chest for all the rest.

Seriously, just carry the simple tools for making minor repairs. If you have a major problem, it is time to get out the cell phone and checkbook.

TJ
Old 10-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #13

Also carry a small compressor. It has sometimes been hard to find a place to get into to top off tires. Also use it for tires on our three bikes.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Add a torque multiplier.....for lug nuts.....unless you like wait'n for road side help..
Yep, got that too (a Proto brand), as well as a air wrench that goes to 600 ft lbs.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote