Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #1

What was Flying J thinking?

It was past 1:00; my wife and I were tooling down I-95 near Cocoa, Fl and looking for a place to have lunch. Lo, and behold, a Flying J with a Wendy’s lay ahead at the next exit. Great, we thought, lunch without parking headaches.

The place looked new. Signage was pretty specific: “CARS AND RVS” here and “TRUCKS” there. Were we, with our big moho, and towing, no longer welcome in the truck area? Obediently, we followed their directions. Great access to pumps. Lots of marked parking spots, at least if you were less than 20’ long. Not a single big rig parking space, and no string of 7 adjacent car spaces in a row was in sight.

We made a big loop and headed for the truck area. Here, a fully paved area with a zillion big marked parking spots loomed ahead of us; unfortunately, every one of them was back in! There was maybe space for three units, in an unmarked area, where a big rig could park, but only if trucks hadn’t grabbed them first.

We did park there and have lunch, but I wondered how a company like Flying J could not be aware that motorhomes towing dinghies cannot back-up. I talked to the manager, and she said, “Gee, I never thought of that.” Well, duh! I used to think Flying J coveted the RV business. What were they thinking?

Maybe the guy who picked the Brown’s QB draft choices is now in charge of Flying J facilities layout (Don’t get it? Ask a rabid NFL fan).
jswickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I never felt like the truck stops "wanted" RVs there. Just some companies are more tolerant than others. IMHO, YMMV

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #3

yes, we find that 'RVs' on signs does not typically apply to a 40' motorhome or fifth wheel, especially ones with toads... and we've never been turned away from using the 'Trucks Only' lanes!

so, my thought with flying J is this: they would rather RVrs use the 'retail' pumps, not the semi truck lanes, but that's easier said than done when you need diesel, and when you are 60' to 70' long.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jswickard,
What you saw has basically been they way for decades. Not all FJ's but most are like what you saw. We have lunch in rest areas. And we always go to the truck pumps. FYI, we are a truck.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #5

I figure I’m as big as a truck so I park with the trucks. Never been told not to. There are truck stops that have no pull through parking. When we find one of those we continue on to the next one.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #6

38' towing a Jeep: we typically only fuel at Pilot/Flying J. While in the fuel line one of us will slide into the restaurant & get something to go. We'll eat somewhere else down the road. I don't like taking up a truckers slot. They're working, we're on a full-time vacation ~~~
TRGarringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi jswickard,
What you saw has basically been they way for decades. Not all FJ's but most are like what you saw. We have lunch in rest areas. And we always go to the truck pumps. FYI, we are a truck.
Aren't the taxes different (more) in the truck lanes?
Mikenchelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #8

I use the " My Pilot " App to locate Flying Js that have RV parking.

They probably send RVs into the car pump area, because they don't have gas in the truck lanes.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswickard View Post
It was past 1:00; my wife and I were tooling down I-95 near Cocoa, Fl and looking for a place to have lunch. Lo, and behold, a Flying J with a Wendy’s lay ahead at the next exit. Great, we thought, lunch without parking headaches.

The place looked new. Signage was pretty specific: “CARS AND RVS” here and “TRUCKS” there. Were we, with our big moho, and towing, no longer welcome in the truck area? Obediently, we followed their directions. Great access to pumps. Lots of marked parking spots, at least if you were less than 20’ long. Not a single big rig parking space, and no string of 7 adjacent car spaces in a row was in sight.

We made a big loop and headed for the truck area. Here, a fully paved area with a zillion big marked parking spots loomed ahead of us; unfortunately, every one of them was back in! There was maybe space for three units, in an unmarked area, where a big rig could park, but only if trucks hadn’t grabbed them first.

We did park there and have lunch, but I wondered how a company like Flying J could not be aware that motorhomes towing dinghies cannot back-up. I talked to the manager, and she said, “Gee, I never thought of that.” Well, duh! I used to think Flying J coveted the RV business. What were they thinking?

Maybe the guy who picked the Brown’s QB draft choices is now in charge of Flying J facilities layout (Don’t get it? Ask a rabid NFL fan).
That FJ is new -- and I don't like it either. But it is still way better than the much older Pilot just a mile down the freeway at exit 201. That one is impossibly small for all vehicles!

I've been in a couple of FJ's like this and at least have been able to pull up to a curb for the few minutes it takes to walk the dogs. Otherwise, I agree the lack of pull-through spaces is really bad for those of us towing.
ficodek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mikenchelby,
Not that I can tell from the sign and the receipt. At a J, the price I pay at the truck pumps is the same as at the RV pump.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenchelby View Post
Aren't the taxes different (more) in the truck lanes?
No, tax is on the fuel, not who buys it.

The only different taxing is for "off-road" fuel, especially diesel for farm equipment.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Some J's next to the 2-3 RV pumps many times there is space for few (2-3) longer units to park. Even with our 25' tt, we would park in the truck lot many times. I'll fuel up at the RV island, the wife and kid would go in to use the facilities. If I had to also use the facilities, sometimes after fueling I would have to drive out and into the truck lot to find a space. And many times that would be all the way to the rear of the truck lot. It is what it is.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:54 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Let's face it, it is a truck stop, not an RV stop. Their primary business is trucks and so they optimize their space to service the trucks. The Flying J RV lanes are a nice exception, for the shorter rigs. Even when I drove a 40 footer and toad, I could usually use the RV pumps. Now that I drive a 45, no way. I have to use the truck pumps. If there is no pull through parking, then I fuel up, move on, and have my lunch somewhere else. But if you look hard there usually is someplace that you can park, unless the whole place is filled to capacity.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flying J isn't the same since it was bought out by Pilot several years ago. Many of the old FJs had separate RV pump islands with both gas and diesel. From what I'm reading here, that isn't happening anymore. Also, FJ used to have the lowest price on fuel anywhere. Not so anymore. They are as high or higher than anyone else now.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote