Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #1

Whats in your toolbox?

We’re going through our tools in the garage, putting together a toolbox of stuff we can just drop into the RV when we hit the road. I’m curious what tools you folks keep in your toolboxes. Especially those less common tools that one might never think to keep on hand. So far we’ve got:
  • Compressor
  • Analog RV Tire Pressure Gauge
  • Automotive Socket wrench set
  • Rubber mallet and hammer
  • Dremel
  • Jig saw
  • Torque wrench
  • Screw drivers, various bits of different sizes and a drill
  • Adjustable wrench
  • Pipe Wrench
  • Pliers (needle nose and regular)
  • Vice grips
  • Eletrical tool kit (Multimeter, Wirestrippers and non-contact voltage tester, various wirenuts, electrical tape)
  • Utility knife/box cutter
  • Tape Measure
  • Zip ties
  • Thread Tape
  • Duct Tape
  • Heat gun and heat shrink tape

Am I missing anything in my toolbox? Also, is there any need to carry any kind of heavy duty tool on the road? If so, what and why?

Thanks for the tips in advance!
Mapnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I dont see the necessary plastic:

Visa
Mastercard
Discover
American Express
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I dont see the necessary plastic:

Visa
Mastercard
Discover
American Express
this made me laugh out loud.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We've been fulltiming since May, and here's a few things I have purchased since being on the road that I found I needed.

jewelers/precision screwdriver set

wood glue

clamps

spare sheet metal and wood screws of various sizes.

wd-40

hope this helps.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Agree with all the above, especially the plastic!

Even though we have ERS, I brought along tools to change a tire, 3/4" drive socket set, 4' pipe for loosening/tightening lug nuts, 20 ton bottle jack and wheel chocks (part of leveling block set). Fortunately we never used it other than to prove that it worked at home. My son was 100lb at the time, standing on the end of the pipe was the perfect torque!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #6

I leave the torque wrench at home. If I should need one on the road, that is where the little plastic card comes in.
Earl II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl II View Post
I leave the torque wrench at home. If I should need one on the road, that is where the little plastic card comes in.
I have the same rule when it comes to my 30mm sockets and wrenches. If they are not big enough for a repair on the road, then I am using the plastic.

I do have crows foot large enough for the trans torque bushings, cant recall the size.

Last year I tried unsucessfully to change my side radiator fan hub. The angle, torque and effort was too much. Watched the 3 guys at freightliner do it and knew I made the right call!
Old 04-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
I know you listed socket set, but some additional accessories I carry are offsets, extensions and u-joints.
This offset helped reach my thermostat housing bolts:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190405_170001.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	242829
Old 04-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #9

Get a crows foot for the trans torque bushing. Not something you can pick up just anyplace..
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is the set I purchased for my trans torque bushings.

https://amzn.to/2XAKi0H
Old 04-20-2019, 08:32 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
*Electric Drill & bits – ¼” size is big enough for 95% of the jobs.
*Small size offset pipe wrenches – I have them now, but thinking of removing them, weight.
*Pipe Clamp Compression Tool – Home Depot – depending on which type of fittings on plumbing, some are push on with screw cap.

*Solderless Connectors-buy good quality ones, not harbor freight.
*Scotch 88 Electrical Tape – You can get by with the 33, but it’s just not as good.
*92% Rubbing Alcohol or Denatured alcohol in can-to clean any surface you are going to either dicor or silicone caulk, takes away surface dirt and grease.
*Square Drive screwdriver – Usually #2, sometimes the smaller one as well.
*Various sizes of Screwdrivers, I use Kline as they have hardened tips.
**Leave heat gun at home, if you need one, harbor freight, or neighbor might have one.
**Leave torque wrench at home.
*Filter wrench in the off chance you have to change the fuel filters – one which fits GENSET OF.
*Liquid Electrical Tape – You might never use it, but it’s handy for lots of things if you ever need it.
No-Ox-Id-Special A – Electrical Grease-Battery terminals, any electrical connection exposed to weather.

I have lots in tool bag going to remove, then get smaller bag, major things will just have to be done at repair facility. The little stuff I am going to cover, any normal maintenance going to do at home or have to pay for it on the road, i.e., oil changes on engine/transmission, etc. Genset I can do.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:11 AM   #12

My suggestion would be to take what you are capable of actually using, not actually what everyone on a public forum might suggest you need. I have about every tool known to man on board but I use most of them and have grown up using them.

I started out with 90% of my tools and maintenance supplies and after the first year of full timing added the other 10% I actually needed.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #13

Lots of great info in here.

Interesting thing I noted. Many folks say to leave the torque wrench at home, but then I see a bunch of posts telling everyone to check their bolts for slides, for awnings, for widgets and gidgets. I know at least for the slides, those are going to need to be torqued to spec, and I'll probably want to check them every few trips or maybe even add it to my pre-departure checklist so that I do it before every move and catch em right when they're starting to loosen.

Filter wrench is definitely something I completely forgot about. Made me feel like an idiot when I read that.

Does anyone carry a portable weigh stations? Perhaps this one or something similar?
Old 04-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Most state weight stations are powered up even though the say closed. You can drive in and get at least front and rear axle weights, which is a huge help. I just don't think I would spend the money, unless you want to set up a weigh place in the park for people to come over and weight individual wheels, you might be able to get the investment back. I would pass on it, but if you have still got sticks and bricks, something for the shop, then you could check coach before any trips.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote