Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #1

Whats kept in your space in front of DS Generator?

There appears to be a nice storage space in front of the generator in our 17 Dutch Star. What do you keep in this space?

I was thinking of Air hose, Water hose to clean front cap and windshield!
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	178730
My telesteps ladder
Old 10-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Water hose and the windshield cleaning brush.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Water hose and the windshield cleaning brush.

I am assuming this does not get hot, even when the generator is running.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchtravlr View Post
I am assuming this does not get hot, even when the generator is running.
Good question. There is what seems to be a “bucket” structure that separates the front of the generator from the bucket so I dont think so, but I’ll check next time I run the gennie.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I have contemplated building an air compressor to fit in there. I say build, because I have not been able to find a good one that fits. Would have to have a compressor motor mounted with stand alone tanks mounted separate. OK, thanks op, now I'm fired up to gat it done.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm always looking for extra space to store things. Some may laugh, but even though I have a 40' coach, there isn't a lot of space for odd sized stuff. I also like to keep my storage bays as clutter free as I can so I can EASILY get to stuff I use all the time, like chairs, ladders and tables.

I added several items to the front of the coach. Just in front of the generator, I mounted a large plastic (industrial) storage tub. It fills the entire area. It holds two fuel filters, one gen fuel filter and air filter, one engine belt, two tow bar pins and several other items. I mounted two perforated baskets to the lid, where I store a collapsible hose and glass cleaning equipment. The first photo is from a distance. The yellow air hose is no longer there, since using coach air is pretty useless. The second photo is a close up of my 50' power washer hose. The actual power washer is mounted to the frame behind the driver's headlight in the third picture. The fourth picture is of the storage box from the side.

The last picture is of a shelf I made and bolted in above the generator. I store three 2"x 8" ramps made of three high pieces of wood for leveling the coach. You can just see the front edge of them. On top of those I store a step for when the front of the coach is too high. Between the wood ramps, I store an 8' collapsible windshield cleaning brush/squeegee.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:28 PM   #8

Why is coach air useless?
Old 10-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchtravlr View Post
Why is coach air useless?
Some folks have tire air pressures required that are more than what the coach air outlet can produce. So other than inflating a football or beachball, it’s not much help to them. I get 120 psi at the outlet of my coach air and only need 110 for my front tires and 85 for my rears, so it’s perfect for me.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Personally, I don't like adding weight ahead of the front axle. Many of the Newmars are right on the ragged edge of front axle weight capacity as is. I also don't like storing things in a relatively exposed area where things can get pretty dirty. But, that's just me.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Whats kept in your space in front of DS Generator?

In reading this thread and it occurs to me that slide-out gen vs fixed would make a difference in what can be kept here, is this correct?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Some folks have tire air pressures required that are more than what the coach air outlet can produce. So other than inflating a football or beachball, it’s not much help to them. I get 120 psi at the outlet of my coach air and only need 110 for my front tires and 85 for my rears, so it’s perfect for me.
I saw a good UTube video on how to use the coach air outlet to fill tires. Explained how to cycle air compressor and time the filling to get max air pressure.

I'm considering using mine this way and wondering if the air tap is ahead of or after the air dryer...does anyone know?

If after it would be a side benefit to fill tires w dry air vs a stand alone compressor
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:19 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Pretty much all coach air compressors go to 120 psi. The problem is they don't stay there. Consequently, you have to add equipment to force the coach to cycle to keep the air up. The other problem is, the minute you start the coach, it will air up. Hopefully, you're not in a campground and everyone has to hear your coach run while you take fifteen minutes to air up your tires. I would love to use the coach air to blow off shoes or inflate toys, but again, the air is limited and the engine needs to be running.

I've owned two DP's and NEITHER of them would air up the front tires. Many just buy a portable compressor, in particular, the Porter Cable model that is electric. It will add 1psi to a 22.5 tire every 8-10 seconds. A handy little compressor.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #14
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I second DSDon's comments on the Porter Cable compressor. I have the Model CMB-15 aboard the coach even though I did install the front-mounted air fitting (my 2014 Ventana LE did not have one plumbed). The Porter Cable is relatively small and light, fits nicely in the small rear driver-side compartment and is capable of 150 PSI. I use it at home, even though I have a big Porter Cable 60-gallon compressor in the shop. Giving it a little use now and then is good for it.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, generator