Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What's the matter clatter!

Just return from a short trip from Ventura to Monterey and back on Interstate 101 in a rather new 9,000 miles Baystar. Road noise is horrible, 101 is horrible especially between Paso Robles and Salinas. I know one problem is the front window shade clacking at each seam/crack/hole in the road. Just had it replaced would not operate and now it makes a horrible noise. Another problem is the "Door" rattles somewhat even after sitting down on the step and slamming it closed and locking both locks. Once in a while it pops loudly while closed going down the road from vibration, sounds like your right front tire blew out. I think I get some more noise from the sliders too. I also get a medium noise and vibration from engine compartment when my transmission down shifts. MY BIG QUESTION IS; "DO ALL CLASS A NEWMAR MOTOR HOMES HAVE LOUD ROAD NOISE? WHAT IS NORMAL AND ACCEPTABLE?" Very unhappy with my very expensive Baystar. I have read many posts in the forum under road noise search, but would appreciate any suggestions, input and steps I could take to make a trip more enjoyable. By the way it is a gas rig.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #2

2001 Dutch Star 3891 with 115k miles, very little road noise unless the road is REALLY BAD. On the typical freeway, quiet, normal across the dinner table conversation level between driver and passenger seats. Door did make some noise until we realized that there were two "latch" settings, slam moderately firm, noise gone. Sorry your running into problems. Are the tire air pressures set for the actual weight of your vehicle? Verified with actual weighings? Just a thought.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry for your troubles. If it is any consolation we understand that the roads out your way push most gas rigs to their limits. That being said there are things you can do, or that you can have done, to reduce the noises. Yes, you have made a large investment. From our experience we found that the best way to get to the bottom of each noise seems to be to focus on one at a time. It helps if one person can be in the coach while another drives. Locating the source of the noise can be a challenge but it can be done. As for the door noise, the latch post is adjustable. Ask your dealer for a courtesy adjustment for you or at least explain to you how to do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined. We've done it a few times and have finally taken care of the noise it created. We were also getting a squeak from the screen door rubbing the outer door at three or four points while we went down the road. Application of adhesive backed felt pads at the touch points of the two doors took care of the squeak. As for shade noise, the shades seem to be quietest when they are all the way up. However, you shouldn't have to have them up to the limits if you don't want to. So, once again, trying to determine the exact point of the noise is critical. As for the sliders, make sure they are firmly closed all the way with the screens also pushed to the stops. They can make noise but if you make minor adjustments to them by pushing them ever so slightly one way or the other while locked you should be able to find their sweet spot and the noise should stop. As for road noise from expansion joints, pot holes and the like, get well versed on the way to set proper tire inflation and make sure you have yours set properly. It makes a big difference although a gas coach does not ride like a diesel with an air suspension. If any of your thumps or clunks are coming from underneath take a look at everything under there. Someone should check virtually every nut and bolt. We're in good shape with ours for the time being but we chased a thumping noise for the better part of a year. Some factory mechanics couldn't find the source but a couple of techs at the dealership we purchased from found the source in about 10 minutes. No more thump.
Your frustration is understandable. These things are big investments. But they are also large mechanical boxes traveling along on less than ideal surfaces much of the time. We ran into a Ventana owner this past Spring who described driving a motorhome down the road as a 4.5 earthquake going down the highway at 65 mph. Not far from the truth I suppose.
Hang in there. It may take some time. But, unless yours is a total exception, you should be able to resolve most if not all of your issues. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:47 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I see a picture of your coach at Flying Flags. Are you going to be there over Labor Day weekend. If you are, I can stop by and take a look at some of your issues. There are some things that can typically be corrected for a better ride. I made a fix for my door that solved a lot of issues.

Let me know.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies, I kind of vented on my first post. I will take your suggestions and work each issue on it's own, one at a time. I believe the automatic front window shade is 75% of the problem. It had been replaced recently and did not clatter before. Just called my RV service center to report shade clatter and they will take a look at it soon. The mechanic said that the shade was a upgrade from original. No more winning, I will put the effort into chasing down each noise/clatter and solving the problems. Thanks again
Old 08-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #6

Wish I was going to be at Flying Flags on Labor Day. If I lived in the area I would change my travel plans to be there. To have a chance to have a Newmar owner that has done dozens of upgrades and fixes would make me drive extra miles. Oh well that is just what I would do but I live in Texas.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Those CA roads are rough in any motorhome! I think a few of the bridge ends launched our 45' 50,000# tag axle rig off the pavement! The '02 DSDP was noisy there and the Magna is quieter but still bad enough.
I'm not sure when we'll get to go back to AZ but I'm going to try and avoid CA altogether due to the 55 mph limit, bad roads and other things going on there.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #8

Grip, what sort of air pressure are you running in your steer tires? I know with our coach if I over inflate I get a lot stiffer ride, obviously, and as a result more rattles.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripnrip View Post
Just return from a short trip from Ventura to Monterey and back on Interstate 101 in a rather new 9,000 miles Baystar. Road noise is horrible, 101 is horrible especially between Paso Robles and Salinas. I know one problem is the front window shade clacking at each seam/crack/hole in the road. Just had it replaced would not operate and now it makes a horrible noise. Another problem is the "Door" rattles somewhat even after sitting down on the step and slamming it closed and locking both locks. Once in a while it pops loudly while closed going down the road from vibration, sounds like your right front tire blew out. I think I get some more noise from the sliders too. I also get a medium noise and vibration from engine compartment when my transmission down shifts. MY BIG QUESTION IS; "DO ALL CLASS A NEWMAR MOTOR HOMES HAVE LOUD ROAD NOISE? WHAT IS NORMAL AND ACCEPTABLE?" Very unhappy with my very expensive Baystar. I have read many posts in the forum under road noise search, but would appreciate any suggestions, input and steps I could take to make a trip more enjoyable. By the way it is a gas rig.
Our 2015 Ventana DP is relatively quiet on the road. Much quieter than our previous Winnebago DP. BUT we have a rear engine Diesel on an Air Bag suspension rather than a leaf spring, front engine based unit. The shade and door banging should not be happening but you will get a fair amount of engine and suspension noise from the Ford chassis. It's the nature of the beast. All Gas Class A's from all manufacturers use the same Ford chassis.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #10

Let me share some insight on the shade noise and since I haven't been inside a bay star I'm going to make an assumption the set up is similar to our DS. If not then this may bennifit other DS owners
The shade rides down a pre-formed plastic track and is held in place by a metal rod in the bottom seam and extends the width of the shade. The noise you hear is the rod bouncing in the track. The fix? Real simple. Add weather striping to the track. Our coach did the same every time we were on rough roads, which most are here in MI. Also check the locking post on the door frame. It should move easily up and down. Again I'm making assumptions as to similar construction methods. I've chased down other noise sources as well. Our DS is very quiet but there were a few things that drove me nuts.
I hate rattles:

I hope this helps