Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2022, 06:19 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Wheel Chocks

I have noticed lately a number of DP’s using wheel chocks when they set up. It does not seem to matter if the site is level or not. The only advantage I see is as a back-up if the parking bracket accidentally gets released? Any thoughts?
Chargersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2022, 06:53 AM   #2

I think that putting the transmission in park is a pretty good solution for unexpected rolling.

But my wife insists on chocks. So you do what makes Mama happy.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:59 AM   #3

DPs don't have park, they depend on spring applied brakes on the rear wheels only.

The springs hold as good as a light to medium application of the service brakes. You can move the RV with them on.

Once you use your levelers, there is almost no weight on the rear axle, only its weight of a few hundred lbs.

Until all air is discharged, the brakes can be released by accidental hitting the button.

With all of that, chocks are a good idea.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:25 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We would agree with Twinboats in the use of chocks on diesel pushers. One of our canine traveling companions loved to look out the drivers window while in the campgrounds. Numerous times while sitting in the drivers seat with paw on the side console, the parking brake knob has been stepped on , releasing the parking brakes. Have now fashioned a cover over the Parking Brake knob to protect it while parked. Stay safe.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:31 AM   #5

I park on an incline and am scared to death of accidentally releasing the parking brake, so I made this... Click image for larger version

Name:	20220713_205442.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	372234
Grizzly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:59 AM   #6

I carry chocks for an emergency. I also use a air brake knob lock that I use to prevent an unwanted release. I will use the chocks if we are camping in a situation where if we roll we'll be in grave danger. Site below is from our fav in Sevierville https://tworiversrvresort.com/. Pull in sites, pitch to the river, and a steep bank. I sleep better chocking the wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00-Hi1k1cToTSwRtkJrHqRxosDD023B1J222P0kWVqOGAIFjerjLuWWp0-BBqm7Gbnl.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	372236  
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:47 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In 18 years of owning a DP, I've never used wheel chalks, just don't see the need if your equipment is in proper working order.

I carry one big yellow plastic one in the chassis battery bay. It's primarily there for an emergency (which we've never had) and to use on the toad if we had to disconnect in an emergency and need to keep the toad from rolling away.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:48 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for all the replies! I have been in a DP for 15 years and use the block on the brake knob. As others have said I am going to start carrying one for an emergency and hope to never use it! I have never thought about the toad and since it is free wheeling I can see where a chock might come in handy for that.
Chargersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:04 PM   #9

If you have dumped the air to use the levelers, there is no air left to release the parking brake. Pushing in the knob will have no effect. I do carry wheel chocks, but only use them if the rear wheels are off the ground.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
DPs don't have park, they depend on spring applied brakes on the rear wheels only.

The springs hold as good as a light to medium application of the service brakes. You can move the RV with them on.

Once you use your levelers, there is almost no weight on the rear axle, only its weight of a few hundred lbs.

Until all air is discharged, the brakes can be released by accidental hitting the button.

With all of that, chocks are a good idea.

Yep, that is why I chock the wheels.

Dogs like to sit in your seat, and maybe stand on the shelf where the controls are to look out the window. Very easy for them to hit the brake and disengage it. Saw a post somewhere last year where a guy had this happen to his brand new coach. Rolled down a slight incline and hit a tree. Front cap was a mess and the insurance totaled it. This is why you see a lot of folks put a clothespin under the brake knob. Mine is a fancy turned aluminum type and the clothespin doesn't really have much to get a bite on. The anti-theft covers don't fit my knob either, so anyplace that's not perfectly flat, I chock the wheels.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
If you have dumped the air to use the levelers, there is no air left to release the parking brake. Pushing in the knob will have no effect. I do carry wheel chocks, but only use them if the rear wheels are off the ground.
It's mostly for short term stops. Bathroom, fuel, food, etc. You get out, dog jumps up in the drivers seat to see where you went, steps on the release, and your off to the races.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:46 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
It's mostly for short term stops. Bathroom, fuel, food, etc. You get out, dog jumps up in the drivers seat to see where you went, steps on the release, and your off to the races.
Flip the seat recliner forward until the seat back is into the steering wheel, problem solved.
Fortunately our latest dog wants nothing to do with the front seats or dash. At 85lbs I'm ok with that.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:07 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Stuff happens. That's why I buy insurance. Hope I never really need it, but I have used it.

For us chocks are first thing out and last thing put away. Easy to do. I like those rubber chocks from Harbor Freight. Low cost, grip on most surfaces and heavy enough to stay put. I gave up on those light weight yellow plastic chocks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Flip the seat recliner forward until the seat back is into the steering wheel, problem solved.
Fortunately our latest dog wants nothing to do with the front seats or dash. At 85lbs I'm ok with that.
Wish it was that easy! Drivers seat in the Exec doesn't work that way, unfortunately. I could rotate it, but that is a PIA. Putting my briefcase on the drivers seat is my usual go to for super short term dog-proofing.