Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2022, 06:01 PM   #15

I made some from oak timbers I recovered from the broken limb pile at Lowry. big bus needs big chocks. Chock the right front wheel front and back: it's not going anywhere. the chocks fit in the first step well so they are always first out and last in. always makes sleeping easier to know it's not going down a hill a bit slowly.
capt fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2022, 06:19 PM   #16

Had been with a trucking company for 47 years running 1000’s of trucks and never once did the safety director tell our drivers to chock our wheels unless already in an accident, etc.

I do carry them but only for emergencies or to help someone else.

Of course, I wasn’t working for a propane company or a gas company, etc., where it’s likely required.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:21 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Perhaps a bit belt AND susperndery, but I use chocks and put a clothes pin under the parking brake switch. Just occasionally CDO (the correct order of those letters).
Old 07-30-2022, 06:30 PM   #18

In ten years and almost 100,000 miles of travel in our DP, I have never used wheel chocks. I don’t even carry any with us. That’s what the parking brake is for. In our coach, the Parking Brake knob is horizontal on the left side of the lower dash, so it’s not easily bumped. We also have no pets to mess with it, either.

And if we’re up on the jacks, she ain’t going anywhere…wheel chock or no wheel chock.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:26 PM   #19

We boondock a lot especially in the mountains. We use them a lot and they have earned their keep especially on dirt slopes. Since we have the 3 jack RVA JII system(unfortunately) we have slid sideways off the front jack several times. The right front tire rotated out from between both chocks, dug into the dirt and ruined both retraction springs. I had to crawl on my belly under the coach, dig down a foot to get to the foot of the jack and pry it up with a crowbar. Ended up having to replace both springs and the foot.
Previously on this forum I posted about a school bus driver who was killed during a required bus evacuation drill when the last student on the bus accidentally (or otherwise) released the parking brake before exiting the bus through the rear emergency door. The driver pushed another student out of the way before she herself was run over by the rear duallys.
Most well run school districts require the drivers to either release all the air out of the system or chock the tires whenever they have to leave any students on board for any length of time.
I always put a big plastic clip from HD or Lowes under the brake knob before leaving my seat, dogs or no dogs.... [emoji40][emoji382][emoji1303]
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 10:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
If you have dumped the air to use the levelers, there is no air left to release the parking brake. Pushing in the knob will have no effect.
Not on my coach. The air dump for leveling only lets the airbags down. There is still plenty of air in the system for brake function.