Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #1

Wheel simulators removal question

I have the tool. All the nuts look the same except 2 are larger and do not fit the tool. All the others that fit the tool look the same and do not have any extra groove or indent on them. I tried the tool on those but they did not budge. Maybe they are just on tight or maybe I'm getting weaker . Just don't want to force them until I know I'm not missing anything. I recently had new rubber put on all around and was wondering if they got put on tight? Any secrets? Do all those that fit the tool come off or just a couple?
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Their will be two nuts with dimples and they would be it for the tool but if tire people used their air guns your going to brake that tool.
You may have to buy a deep socket to fit the nuts and a braker-bar to get nuts off.
Try some oil behind nuts to help loosen.
All them other nuts are crimped in their holes and will just keep turning.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Their will be two nuts with dimples and they would be it for the tool but if tire people used their air guns your going to brake that tool.
You may have to buy a deep socket to fit the nuts and a braker-bar to get nuts off.
Try some oil behind nuts to help loosen.
All them other nuts are crimped in their holes and will just keep turning.
Thanks 007. I thought I read that somewhere about just 2 and dimpled but I felt all of them and did not feel any dimple. I'll take another look.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:27 PM   #4

You do realise that the , ones with the dimples ,are slide off covers for the nuts that the tool fits. The two that you say the tool wont fit are probably the ones with the dimples, and the covers will pull straight off with a gloved hand.
I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
You do realise that the , ones with the dimples ,are slide off covers for the nuts that the tool fits. The two that you say the tool wont fit are probably the ones with the dimples, and the covers will pull straight off with a gloved hand.
I'll post pictures tomorrow.
LOL. No Skip I did not know that but makes perfect sense. No need for the pictures as I get the picture now . That's why I stopped before shredding something. I'll give that a go tomorrow. I'm just messing around with the new to me coach checking things out. Was up on the roof tonight and found a couple small cracks in the AC shrouds. I'm going to pull them off and see if I can repair them with some fiberglass repair or something similar. Seems a little unnecessary to replace them if I can fix them. Also found some cracking in a couple of the plastic bases for the plumbing vents. Now those I will replace since they are so brittle (and cheap) and a leak source. I'm sure they are original 2002 models. Waiting for my Eternabond to arrive via mail to start sealing the seams up. I'm glad I was up there looking as things need some sealant. No signs of any leaks so glad I looked before any damage occurred.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a very good chance the chrome covers come OFF the two oversize nuts, Look for dimples, if you see them try gently prying them off, if they come off, You found the two you need.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There is a very good chance the chrome covers come OFF the two oversize nuts, Look for dimples, if you see them try gently prying them off, if they come off, You found the two you need.
Got it.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
That's why I stopped before shredding something. .

Like I tell members who think they are asking dumb questions;" The only dumb question, is the one you don't ask, that ends up , kicking you in the wallet."
Great that you're getting to know your coach, have a good look around , particularly for fuses , circuit breakers and GFIC's.
Your coaches electrical system is the one that's most likely to act up and getting to understand all the components is important.
With a new RV , you're back in school , remember to take notes; because Murphy is in charge of all exams; thankfully all tests are open book.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #9

If you are thinking of testing the lugs for proper tightness you will need a very large deep socket and a good torque wrench, I think my socket for my dutch star is a 1 1/2 inch socket and the torque wrench is for a 1/2 inch drive. Also if yours is like mine the lug nuts on the left (driver) side are reverse threads
tommildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommildren View Post
If you are thinking of testing the lugs for proper tightness you will need a very large deep socket and a good torque wrench, I think my socket for my dutch star is a 1 1/2 inch socket and the torque wrench is for a 1/2 inch drive. Also if yours is like mine the lug nuts on the left (driver) side are reverse threads
Tom. Actually I was not planning to check the lugs although it's never a bad idea. The guys at the shop that installed them are a first rate tire center that handles big trucks. I feel reasonably confident they did a great job. I see your in Spring. I like the area. I'm down South in Nassau Bay just across from the Space Center. What year and model do you have?
Old 09-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #11

my unit is a 2000 dutch star with a spartan chassis. the nuts that hold on the
simulators screw over a couple of the lug nuts, thats why their lug nut covers are larger than the other covers. After I lost a simulator last year and after spending about $500 to replace it plus new nuts I bought the socket ( $50) I already had the torque wrench so I check them often now.
tommildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommildren View Post
my unit is a 2000 dutch star with a spartan chassis. the nuts that hold on the
simulators screw over a couple of the lug nuts, thats why their lug nut covers are larger than the other covers. After I lost a simulator last year and after spending about $500 to replace it plus new nuts I bought the socket ( $50) I already had the torque wrench so I check them often now.
Point taken.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lug nuts on our 2002 DSDP take a 33mm socket and 500 ft lbs. of torque. I have a Snap On torque multiplier that I traded a personal protection tool for. The socket came from NAPA.

A few weeks ago I took the rig to Les Schwabe, they checked the tire and remounted the wheel. Used their air driven wrench. Asked them what the torque on the lugs was and he answered "about 400 lbs" . When I got home I checked them and found they were not up to the required 500 ft lbs. Soo, just taking them to a truck shop isn't a guarantee of anything.
When I bought new tires and wheels Superior tire used a very large torque wrench on each lug. They knew what they were doing and did it right.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Lug nuts on our 2002 DSDP take a 33mm socket and 500 ft lbs. of torque. I have a Snap On torque multiplier that I traded a personal protection tool for. The socket came from NAPA.

A few weeks ago I took the rig to Les Schwabe, they checked the tire and remounted the wheel. Used their air driven wrench. Asked them what the torque on the lugs was and he answered "about 400 lbs" . When I got home I checked them and found they were not up to the required 500 ft lbs. Soo, just taking them to a truck shop isn't a guarantee of anything.
When I bought new tires and wheels Superior tire used a very large torque wrench on each lug. They knew what they were doing and did it right.
LOL. My truck center was Les Schwabe. Can I borrow your torque wrench??

Tags
removal