Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #1

Wheels off the ground

Is it ok for the wheels to be off the ground when using the jacks on our motorhome?
kdickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What brand jacks?
HWH says no problem for ours other than NEVER lift the rears as that's where your parking brakes are. I store our DSDP for months with the fronts completely off the ground as per HWH's information when I called them. However each of our 4 rams is rated for 12,000#'s each and our front axle only weighs 13,600#'s so we're well under the capacity.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you have the rear wheels off the ground it's the same as having the park brake and park position in the transmission disabled.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While I have seen many motorhomes parked with front wheels off the ground and supported only by jacks, I consider it unsafe and would never do it on my coach. If I am that far out of level, I use boards under the wheels so there is support. While jacks may be rated for loads in excess of your weight, their intended purpose is not to lift the coach off the ground.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:53 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
While I have seen many motorhomes parked with front wheels off the ground and supported only by jacks, I consider it unsafe and would never do it on my coach. If I am that far out of level, I use boards under the wheels so there is support. While jacks may be rated for loads in excess of your weight, their intended purpose is not to lift the coach off the ground.
Completely agree!! Our rule is boards under the tires to support the weight and then use jacks for stabilization/fine leveling. We use HWH jacks. As stated above, they say it's fine to have the front tires off the ground, but I would wager a dollar to a donut hole that your chassis manufacturer would disagree.
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The rules I give. ONE FRONT TIRE, yes, any other combination no.

Here is why

The parking brake on most motor homes is a drive shaft brake..THUS if one rear wheel is off the ground and a gust of wind comes and hits the rig either in the front or rear.. Your jacks may well turn into very expensive pretzles.

If both (Front or rear) tires are off the ground, then a guest from the side (And not nearly as strong a guest) can do the same job.

In short. NOT a good idea to lift the jacks.

Now some folks will talk about the effect on the suspension.. Frankly, I dismiss those claims, but re-read the rest of this post.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Put 20 extra lbs of air in all the tires and use auto level to support the chassis. That is what we have been told my more then one tech. I don't want my shocks hanging full extended if I lift the coach off the ground.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with post #4 & 5. Also if you raise the tires off the ground and you have air bags, they will be stretched out like a rubber band. Guess what could happen next. I have personally seen one such situation. It cost the person a lot of money to have it replaced.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
The manufacturers do not recommend using their equipment for jacking the vehicle off the ground although it has the capability. It's only intended purpose is to level the vehicle for comfort. The vehicle becomes much less stable when not on its wheels.

The other problem you can run into is when the jacks are fully extended to their limit the return springs are also stretched. Over a period of time the springs tend to lose their memory so the jack retract more slowly or not all the way.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree with RJay's post, if your not on level site ask for another and if non support the front tires with blocks.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
The manufacturers do not recommend using their equipment for jacking the vehicle off the ground although it has the capability. It's only intended purpose is to level the vehicle for comfort. The vehicle becomes much less stable when not on its wheels.

The other problem you can run into is when the jacks are fully extended to their limit the return springs are also stretched. Over a period of time the springs tend to lose their memory so the jack retract more slowly or not all the way.
While not taking the tires off the ground, when in long term storage at home, I do take most of the weight off the suspension and tires. I have gone to the practice of putting my wooden blocks under the jacks, (currently 3 layers of 2X10, for a total of 4.5 inches) This keeps the jack extension to a minimum, and avoids stretching the return springs,(just replaced the rear springs). I intend to increase my wood jack pads to 6 or 7 1/2 inches, with rubber belting under the bottom layer to prevent water damage to the wood when it rains.

One person suggested asking for a different campsite, if it is not level. That doesn't work in public parks and campgrounds, none of them are level, and you usually do not have the option of requesting another site. I will take the front tires off the ground, but avoid doing so with the rear, even if I end up not being totally level. I am usually in those places for one or two nights, and moving on anyway.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:24 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, as I said

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
I called HWH specifically and asked if it was OK, they stated that there was no reason not to and, at least in the case of HWH's they are indeed intended to lift the coach off the ground, just that you should never lift the rear wheels off the ground as that's where the parking brake acts. On a DP that's the rear brake shoes, not the driveline.
I've been doing it for 8 seasons now for about 6 months at a time with no problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've been doing it for 8 seasons now for about 6 months at a time with no problems.
Mr_D - Not everyone has HWH but at any rate you are free to do what you want. I stand by my statement......IMO it is unsafe.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your on a slope with loose gravel and as you move about in coach you run the risk of MH slipping forward bending jack stands, maybe more vulnerable with electric jacks.
Thats why people place blocks under front tires to stabilize situation.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote