Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #1

When it rains, it snows.

We have a 2004 MADP 4016 and are at 7000' in Flagstaff, AZ right now. A SW winter storm is blowing in as I type this, but we have been through this before and have always been well prepared. It started snowing about 2 hours ago so I went outside to check everything. Bummer, the propane furnace wet bay fan assist was not coming on. I do have a small electric heater on a Thermocube in the basement as an emergency backup, so I am not too worried.

After doing the usual diagnostics, I found a blown 5 amp fuse for the furnace fan behind the furnace access panel under the refrigerator. A replacement 5 amp fuse also blew. Getting closer to the problem. I sort of cheated approved technique and put in a 7.5 amp fuse and the fan started working but it was a little labored while it ran. Looks like I will be pulling out and replacing the 12v fan tomorrow. It is only getting down to the upper 20s tonight so I should be fine, but low teens later this weekend. The furnace heat will still dribble into the wet bay and I have the electric heater backup.

Of course, I told DW how incredibly lucky she is to have such an accomplished husband. Calling in a mobile RV mechanic to do what I did, this time of night, in the snow, would have been several Franklin's at least. If she can't find me attractive, at least she can find me handy... [emoji3]

To full-time in a motor coach, you either have to be prepared with a credit card and be lucky - -or- be resourceful and able to figure it out when time really counts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Interesting. I was in flagstaff during December last year. Sounds like a very different experience. It was unseasonably warm and dry last Dec. stay warm...
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:42 PM   #3

New issue?
When was last time furnace was used?

Fan wheels obstructed/nests???
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #4

New issue. The furnace has been in use the last month or so on a daily basis. I am heading down into the basement in about a half hour to remove the fan shroud and the fan itself to see what I can find. Hopefully it is just an obstruction or the fan blades are caked with dirt. I will report back...

We got 2" of snow last night and all of the schools are closed down. Arizona doesn't do well with snow, even up here in Flagstaff.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #5

They close the schools because lots of the kids live down dirt roads that turn to clay when they get wet. The school buses get stuck in them! So, not because of the regular roads so much as all the folks living in the boonies.
Gone_Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #6

I pulled out the old fan in the basement and it turns out to be a standard marine in-line 4" 12v plastic bilge blower fan with a worn sealed bearing. Instead of nursing the 14 year old fan, I found a new one on Amazon for $20/delivered with free shipping. Boy, all those people are right, these diesel pushers really are expensive to maintain!
Old 11-30-2018, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I pulled out the old fan in the basement and it turns out to be a standard marine in-line 4" 12v plastic bilge blower fan with a worn sealed bearing. Instead of nursing the 14 year old fan, I found a new one on Amazon for $20/delivered with free shipping. Boy, all those people are right, these diesel pushers really are expensive to maintain!

Sealed bearing......wow up town

Thought they were all just oil impregnated bushings
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Boy, all those people are right, these diesel pushers really are expensive to maintain!
Don't push your luck with the DP gods !!